Timing Belt Tensioner reuse - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Car: 2012 Beetle 2.0T, 2011 Golf 2.5
Default Timing Belt Tensioner reuse

OK, before I start this, I know that I was an idiot (yes, I'm admitting it, so go easy on me), but I changed the timing belt a few weeks ago, and to save a bit of time and money, I didn't change the water pump.

Only took me about six hours to swap out the belts and tensioners. Thought it went pretty good.

Now, about 2500 miles later, it appears the water pump has failed. Temperature light blinking red. Fans are running, coolant level is fine. I know, it could be the thermostat, but with a plastic implellerÖ So I get to rip everything apart again.

Question is this. Can the belt tensioner be reused? (yes, I did replace that) The reason I ask is I was messing around with the one I took off and I was not able to press in on the piston. This made me wonder if it was just jammed or are they a ratcheting device that cannot be pushed back in? Iím hoping I can just jam the grenade pin back in as Iím removing everything, but I need to make sure because I want to order parts today.

Also, how much G12 will I need to refill the system?

Thanks
Ed

As quoted from my 12 year old daughter (she's 21 now) in class one day...
"If life gives you lemons, make Lemonade
But if life gives you limes, make Margaritas"
I have no idea where she got that idea from

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

It's possible, makes it pretty darn hard, but it's possible I think.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM

as far as i know you can use the same tensioner as long as the tensioner isn't loose....if you can push the tensioner in and slide a pin in it then that means the tensioner is no good... what you might have to do is put the tensioner in between vice and that should push it back in....when your turning the vice do it slowly so you dont break the tensioner........
Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM

OH, USA
Car: 03 GTI

It's possible--when it is on the car with the pulley there too. There is a slot in the middle of the pulley's support frame near the tensioner/a place to thread in a specialized tool for collapsing the piston in the tensioner. A fully threaded bolt/threaded rod, nut and washer can also be used. The threaded hole is in the very top of tensioner. I saw the procedure in a Bentley manual when I did my TB & WP job.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:39 AM
I gots a new dub!!

Car: 2003 VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eddy
....Also, how much G12 will I need to refill the system?

Thanks
Ed
You will only need 1 gallon, if you buy it buy the gallon. It will have to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water. The 1.8t holds a total of 5 liters.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 AM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawalker
It's possible--when it is on the car with the pulley there too. There is a slot in the middle of the pulley's support frame near the tensioner/a place to thread in a specialized tool for collapsing the piston in the tensioner. A fully threaded bolt/threaded rod, nut and washer can also be used. The threaded hole is in the very top of tensioner. I saw the procedure in a Bentley manual when I did my TB & WP job.
2001 GLX NB silver arrow (current)
2012 Tiguan S 5-speed candy white (new daily)
2013 Beetle Turbo DSG (sun and sound) reef blue
Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks all, got the pump, thermostat and 3 liters of G12 on order. Should be here tomorrow.

The tip about the pulley slot and threaded hole on the tensioner should prove especially useful as it is a new tensioner.

I'll tear into again Saturday.

Ed
Old 09-30-2007, 11:21 PM

I'm not sure, but I think it was the pump that was causing the overheating.

Name:  Broken Pump.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  238.2 KB

Hardest part was getting the alternator off to swap the thermostat. I had the pump out in about two hours.

The tip about the pulley slot and threaded hole in the tensioner worked great. I use a 5mm x 40mm bolt with a couple washers under the head to keep it from slipping through the slot. I was going to try and take a picture, but just forgot.

So Sluggo's back up and running.

Feel free to refer to this thread if anybody ever asks, "Is it really necessary to change the water pump when I change the timing belt?"

Thanks All
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.