Engine Removal, 2000 GLS Turbo - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Engine Removal, 2000 GLS Turbo

I just bought a 2000 beetle GLS turbo with all the options, but broken timing belt. I was wondering how to go about pulling the engine out? I was looking and didnt know if it had to come out the bottom or top (i would prefer the top or front), or if i can take the whole front of the car off like they do on minivans and pull it out the front. I was a GM tech for a few years before going for a change of careers, i have a 4 post lift in my garage where the car sits. I was hoping that you VW experts can help steer me in the "correct" direction. I am not looking to cut corners to come out cheap. The car is for my wife and we already have a drag car and was looking for something fun and reliable, not overly modded. Here is what i was looking to do.
1.) Pull engine, hone, hot tank, rebuild stock,maybe mild port matching.
2.) New Exhaust, Downpipe, and maybe try the diode mod on MAP sensor.

Now here is where i lack experience.
-How much boost can i run on this tiny hairdryer turbo?
-Should i get a MBC or will the diode mod up the boost on the electronic solenoid, or can i just tighten the WG actuator rod?
-I have a WB02 LM-1 i use on my other car to check the AFR if needed.
-I do not want ot change injectors, fuel pressure reg...etc, basically just stock, is it possible to do this or will the car not have the fueling and to much timing for over stock boost (i dont even know what that is).
-What clucth? ACT (pref street version, stg 1)??
-Where can i get VW replacement parts online (i.e. Valves, guides, HG, engine rebuild kit, not napa crapa or advance auto junk?
-I think i asked above but how do i remove the engine as a whole, maybe even with trans.
-Anything else i can learn about the 1.8T would be great, and if there is an online tech article on how to remove engine and rebuild.

Sorry for long but i figure i spell it all out on what i am looking for

Thanks
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 AM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

It can come out the top or if the bumper is removed the front. Mine came out the top and I am rebuilding my motor. As the progress moves on I will be posting pics.
Where are you at?
2001 GLX NB silver arrow (current)
2012 Tiguan S 5-speed candy white (new daily)
2013 Beetle Turbo DSG (sun and sound) reef blue

Last edited by NBTurboFreak; 10-04-2007 at 05:06 AM..
Old 10-04-2007, 01:07 PM

i am located in NY. So i jsut have to take off the front end and i can pull this out the top?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 02:19 PM

So what can i do to this thing. I read the injectors are to small and so is the turbo? Is this true. What types of boost levels can i run if i rebuild this thing stock and leave the stock injectors and turbo? Just lookin for you VW guys to give me some pointers on what to do to make this thing a fun DD.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 PM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

It can come out the top with only taking off the hood and not the whole front end.

For boost, on the beetle K03 turbos you can push 1bar easy. Going to 1.2bar or higher you may start to have reliability issues in the long run.

I am in the process of doing a total rebuild on my motor. I have increased the bore, changed the connecting rods, pistons, balanced and knife edged the crank, and uping to the K03s turbo just to name a few. I will still be running stock injectors for now. Little tidbit on the beetle, VW gave us the smallest of everything out of their lineup, except on the TurboS. We have the smaller injectors, lowest powered turbos, worst fuel mapping, smallest wrist pins, smallest stock exhaust for the turbo model for starters.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 PM

so far i have the engine & trans out, i took off the whole front end just to make things easier for me to get to. So i will plan on 1bar then, that should be good enough for a a DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.