Installing oil pressure sender on 1.8 turbo - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
jc918t's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Car: 1999 GLS 1.8t
Default Installing oil pressure sender on 1.8 turbo

How do you access the oil pressure sender on the 1.8 turbo (APH). It looks really tight down there. It seems that it would be easy to access if the secondary air pump wasn't there, but it is... and doesn't look at all easy to remove. Is there any way around this? Can the Secondary air pump bracket just be unbolted from the manifold allowing it to be pushed around a bit... and would this grant enough access to get at the oil pressure sender?

Thanks in advance,

JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
noR's Avatar
noRAdministrator noR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Jackson, MS, USA
Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd
Default

Never did find a way to remove the alternator....

You COULD just remove the front clip and swing the condensor/radiator out a bit giving you room though.
__________________
noR | me | Phrog
southern fried dubs - "we like it crispy"
PHROG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2008, 02:25 AM
I've been buggered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Timbuktu, NH, USA
Car: Silver Sport 1.8T 2001 NB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noR
Never did find a way to remove the alternator....

You COULD just remove the front clip and swing the condensor/radiator out a bit giving you room though.
Whoa! That's a huge undertaking for a tiny sensor!!!!!
But it would be easier!
__________________
You can find me in the Vortex. Bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:08 PM
CA Solt's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Freeland, PA, USA
Car: 2004 Platinum Gray: APR Stage 3+
Default Oil sender

You are on the right track...unbolt the secondary air pump and it moves away easily enough.
I've done it twice already.
Take the airbox out too.
__________________
CA Solt

2004 GLS Platinum Gray
APR Stage 3+
305whp & 295 ft./lbs.


Saint Augustine - De Libero Arbitrio
- Unless you believe, you will not understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
jc918t's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Car: 1999 GLS 1.8t
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Solt
You are on the right track...unbolt the secondary air pump and it moves away easily enough.
I've done it twice already.
Take the airbox out too.
Unbolt the bracket from the manifold, or the pump from the mounting bracket?

I don't have an airbox...

would it help to pull the battery and attempt to move around the power steering resivuar?

thanks
Attached Images/Files
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I've been buggered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Timbuktu, NH, USA
Car: Silver Sport 1.8T 2001 NB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc918t
How do you access the oil pressure sender on the 1.8 turbo (APH). It looks really tight down there. It seems that it would be easy to access if the secondary air pump wasn't there, but it is... and doesn't look at all easy to remove. Is there any way around this? Can the Secondary air pump bracket just be unbolted from the manifold allowing it to be pushed around a bit... and would this grant enough access to get at the oil pressure sender?

Thanks in advance,

JC
Are you doing this to replace your original, or to add a pressure sender for a guage? I ask because I'd like to know where people are adding their oil pressure guage senders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
jc918t's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location:
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Car: 1999 GLS 1.8t
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusenergy
Are you doing this to replace your original, or to add a pressure sender for a guage? I ask because I'd like to know where people are adding their oil pressure guage senders
I am installing a sender relocation kit fro 42 Draft Designs in order to add in an additional sender for my oil pressure guage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I've been buggered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Timbuktu, NH, USA
Car: Silver Sport 1.8T 2001 NB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc918t
I am installing a sender relocation kit fro 42 Draft Designs in order to add in an additional sender for my oil pressure guage.
Aha! Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
CA Solt's Avatar
Member Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location:
Freeland, PA, USA
Car: 2004 Platinum Gray: APR Stage 3+
Default oil pressure sender

Here... I assumed you were tech savvy:


http://www.42draftdesigns.com/tech.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been buggered.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location:
Timbuktu, NH, USA
Car: Silver Sport 1.8T 2001 NB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Solt
Here... I assumed you were tech savvy:


http://www.42draftdesigns.com/tech.htm
If that's for me, thanks.
Techsavvy, yes. Ever done a bug sending unit? No. It's easy on the old 1.8 8-valve motors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Oil Pressure light keeps going off. Burky 1.8 Liter Turbo 28 10-09-2013 03:07 AM
Oil Pressure Gauge jc918t 1.8 Liter Turbo 4 02-14-2008 01:16 AM
oil pressure light blinkinh HELP 99vdub Technical Modifications 0 01-02-2007 03:37 AM
How-To - Oil pressure gauge install marvins_dad Technical How-To 0 10-16-2006 02:33 PM
Oil pressure problem with 2.0 zmladen 2.0 Liter Gas 12 09-23-2006 01:28 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2