Installing Gauges and Gauge Pod - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Not So Much

USA
Default Installing Gauges and Gauge Pod

Hi everyone,

The only thing I hate about my Beetle is the lack of temp, oil pressure and boost gauges. So, I'm planning on installing some gauges. Are there better gauges than others? Better gauge pods than others? I was thinking of sticking with VDO, but if there are better gauges out there, I'm open to suggestions. Also, I'm thinking about mounting them on the dash instead of a pillar mount. Any suggestions are welcome as I won't do the install until July.

Thanks!
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Juiicy

Car: 2010 Subaru Impreza

The Bernt center dash gauge pod is good, I have one that has 3 in it. I also have one that is just a two gauge one, that i'm trying to sell. I just have the autometer gauges in mine, they are the phantom ones with the white background. Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 AM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

I have the AutoMeter tripple pod with A/F, vacuum, and EGT all AutoMeter Carbon series.
2001 GLX NB silver arrow (current)
2012 Tiguan S 5-speed candy white (new daily)
2013 Beetle Turbo DSG (sun and sound) reef blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Not So Much

USA

Do I need specific gauges, or are they all pretty standard?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 AM
20V GTRS

Car: 2001 Sliver Arrow GLX

Decide on a gauge pod you want to go with and see what size is recommended to use with it. For sure a boost gauge then an A/F. They will give you the best picture of the health of the car the best.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Not So Much

USA

I found a triple pod from AutoMeter, and VDO gauges, all for $125. I guess I could add a single gauge somewhere in order to have an air/fuel gauge as well. I never thought of one, but now that you mentioned it, it sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM
MINI & NB FOR LIFE!

Car: 2004 MINI Cooper S 2001 blue vortex 1.8t + 1971 vert + 68 bug & 71 & 78 buses

I have the Bernt 2 gauge. Boost & temp. I went to autozone & picked up Faze brand. The color is off but the gauges feel solid. Too cool used to have an avatar with his & the colors matched. I'm sure they were great quality, as that's all he uses. Maybe he'll chime in. The gauge pod itself is super easy to install, it's getting the wires from the engine compartment to them that's the hard part.
Name:  Gauges005.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  73.6 KB

Last edited by Lnzbug; 05-23-2008 at 03:50 AM..
Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 AM

Car: 1999 GLS 1.8t

Which ever gauges you decide to go with... check out the $9 led's from 42 draft designs... they are great... worth every penny....
Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 AM
Not So Much

USA

Awesome! Photos always help because I want everything to blend in. I hate messing with wiring and stuff when I'm not familiar with the set up, so I'll take my car somewhere to have the gauges installed. Unless my boyfriend wants to install them for me, which I doubt.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 AM
LkäPORSCHE

Car: 2003 Platinum Grey GLX 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.8TurboChick
...........I also have one that is just a two gauge one, that i'm trying to sell.......
Do you have a picture? And is it still for sell? And for what price?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 AM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 New Beetle Conv
Thumbs up

Autometer cobalt gauges... enough said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePooper
Hi everyone,

The only thing I hate about my Beetle is the lack of temp, oil pressure and boost gauges. So, I'm planning on installing some gauges. Are there better gauges than others? Better gauge pods than others? I was thinking of sticking with VDO, but if there are better gauges out there, I'm open to suggestions. Also, I'm thinking about mounting them on the dash instead of a pillar mount. Any suggestions are welcome as I won't do the install until July.

Thanks!
Lisa

http://www.adswap.com
Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 AM
Not So Much

USA

Those are nice, but I like the VDO gauges better. I've decided to use the VDO gauges, but I'm still undecided on the gauge pod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.