Things to look for... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Car: "lilly" 2000 1.8T GLX - RED
Default Things to look for...

I am looking at a 2000 1.8T with 99,000 miles on it, to replace my recently totaled malibu (yech).
It is visually in great shape, what do I need to look for mechanically etc before buying. I would put 100mi a day on it during my commute (75% interstate @ 80mph), and plan on keeping it 2-3 years. I live near Rockford, IL so the heated leather seats are nice. Are there any aftermarket warranties worth it for this, as I am not very mechanically inclined.
Thanks for all potential help.
Bub
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Here is a nice easy read to get your thread started with some good information. Make sure you checkout the worksheet link. Call the seller and try to fill out that sheet too. It may help you out.

Also just make sure the timing belt, the spark plugs and wires, and water pump was changed already. See if the car had any transmission work or accident damage. Oh and run a Carfax report too! With a 100 mile commute, I think you may also want to look into the TDI Diesel engine! Much better MPG thant the 1.8T and 2.0 engines.

Finally, to the org!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubtech815 View Post
I am looking at a 2000 1.8T with 99,000 miles on it, to replace my recently totaled malibu (yech).
It is visually in great shape, what do I need to look for mechanically etc before buying. Bub
A huge issue here is whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced recently. If so, you'd want to know when. If not, then this car is a ticking time bomb until they are replaced. The damage caused to the engine can be run in the thousands if these items are allowed to break. This type of maintainence should be done much earlier than this, but there's no guarantee it has.

Please check on this for your own sake. If you buy the car and don't know if this stuff has been replaced, allow about $450-800 in your budget to do that, or take that into consideration on the asking price.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Low & Slow

Car: 2015 The Beetle R Line

1.8T has no wires either. they are coil to plug. and not just timing belt and water pump but all the tensioners and thermostat as well. i would look more into a 2001 myself i think they made some nice changes to them. brake light switches go bad fast too as well as the secondary air injection pumps. i would ask about those too.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallinApartBoy View Post
and not just timing belt and water pump but all the tensioners and thermostat as well.
Right you are...Here's the whole kit from ecstuning.com

Last edited by miffmole; 09-01-2015 at 07:10 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

Your daily commute being 100M, you should seriously look at the 1.9tdi version. It would make a lot of sense.
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM

I would LOVE the TDI, but sadly there aren't many around here and none within my budget I should be able to get this for $6k out the door whereas a similar TDI would cost me ~$10k.
BUB
Old 01-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Where are you? There are 3 TDI NBs selling for around $6k in my area? Two Black and One Grey. Search autotrader.com asap before you make the jump!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_bug View Post
Where are you? There are 3 TDI NBs selling for around $6k in my area? Two Black and One Grey. Search autotrader.com asap before you make the jump!
I just saw your post where you said Illinois.

I found in your area:
This one
This one

This one

I hope this gives you an idea of some sort. You could also do like Beej and buy a used TDI from ebay. Hers needed some work, but ran like a champ afterwards. She also had to roadtrip to pick it up but I think she'll be the first to tell you it was well worth it.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 AM

1 TDI within 60miles at 6k or less. 160k miles vs 99k... dosen't really compare
BUB

Edit... looked at what you showed, with negotiations I might get it for 6k out the door but the mileage difference is significant (although one was at 108K not very significant but price 1500 more before taxes etc).
I also ran a worst case scenario and with gas at 3.50 and Diesel at 4.50, the TDI getting 50Mpg and the 1.8 getting 30 the MOST I could save is 700 a year. Where as at current rates 1.88 and 2.50 with 30 for the gas mpg and 42 for the diesel it is savings of 1.50 per week... less than 100 per year.
I'm not convinced yet... I want it, and if I could get it easily (more locally than what you listed) I probably would, but I have to do all this tomorrow pretty much.
Thanks for all the time you have been putting in with the help, I really want the NB but am skittish about repair history and future.
BUB

Last edited by bubtech815; 01-19-2009 at 02:47 AM..
Old 01-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Catch me riding s00ty!

160k miles on a TDI is literally nothing. I'm surprised it wasn't at 200k actually. Those engines are known to literally go forever! Just check out the vw TDI club website. TDIclub.com

Besides, those were just some TDIs in your area. The car you buy is honestly all up to you.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Low & Slow

Car: 2015 The Beetle R Line

yeah i agree. your looking at double the mpg from a 1.8t to a 1.9tdi. so 100 miles per day would equal about $14 a day on a 1.8t and about $9 on a 1.9tdi if gas prices are like that in your area. thats $5 a day. $1300 a year as a rough estimate if you work 5 days a week. and tdi has less expenses. less moving parts and less heat = less problems. so in a year you would make your money back. but thats just me. and i bought my kit from ecstuning.com too along with the lightened pulleys.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Ret.

Double the mileage from a 1.8T to a 1.9TDI? I'm getting as high as 32 highway on my 1.8T...whether that's typical or not, I don't know. Double that would be pretty hefty, but nice.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 AM

I bought it... dealer went "halfsies" with me on the timing belt and pump replacement (actually I paid $300 more and he will get it done) plus he will give me a loaner while it gets done, so that's nice.
I am nervous / excited.... It kinda makes me want to "shoop".
Thanks for all the advice.
BUB
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubtech815 View Post
I bought it... dealer went "halfsies" with me on the timing belt and pump replacement (actually I paid $300 more and he will get it done) plus he will give me a loaner while it gets done, so that's nice.
I am nervous / excited.... It kinda makes me want to "shoop".
Thanks for all the advice.
BUB
Excellent!
Very Important:
Be sure to insist on a water pump with a metal impeller...OEM VW ones have a plastic impeller. Greatly inferior to the metal ones, and have even been known to break apart and damage engines. Be sure and change tensioners and thermostat as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2000 1.8 turbo service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.