VW Beetle Forum banner

chevron v shell

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  DZLBUG 
#1 ·
Anybody ever have this happen?

I filled up with Shell 92, then threw a MAF code 50 miles into the tank. Pulled the MAF, cleaned it properly, put it back in, finished the tank, the engine light still on. Stopped at a Chevron, put in the lovely 92, 20 miles into the tank, the cel went off. Next fill up, Shell 92, bam, CEL back on, same MAF code. bummer. Next fill up, Chevron, CEL goes off, have run two tanks now with Chevron 92 since then, and ole snappy is running sweet. BTW, 21 mpg with Shell, 28 with Chevron.
What do y'all think, bad gas at the Shell, or just Karma?

thanks
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
It is impossible for any fuel-related issue to set a MAF code. What is the exact code?

Are you running a K&N or other oiled air filter?

#4 ·
Please do yourself, your MAF, your turbo, your engine, your wallet...and my blood pressure...a favor.

Ditch that K&N filter!

They are great filters for dirt bikes, quads, dirt track race cars, lawn mowers. They are crap for your car. It offers exactly ZERO performance increase. It decreases filtering ability and capacity. It causes dirt and oil to contaminate your MAF, and allows dirt to "sand" the turbo impeller and possibly damage your engine. It saves no money in the long run. Filters are cheap compared to MAF's and turbos.

The factory filter has more than enough airflow capability and offers superior filtration.

Put a stock filter in, clean/replace your MAF. Problem solved.

#7 ·
I did miss that he said "oil" filter. That wasn't my question though. I asked what air filter he was running. Perhaps he mistakenly typed "oil" instead of "air" because I asked if he was using a K&N or other "oiled" filter. This is a valid question since he is getting a MAF code.

Fact remains that K&N air filters are very bad news for VW's sensitive "hot-film" MAF sensors.

#6 ·
There is no connection between the brand of fuel used and the MAF. The MAF measures airflow into the engine and sends that info to the ECU. The ECU computes the amount of fuel needed and sets the length of the injector pulses to compensate for fuel mixture requirements. No fuel touches the MAF at all, just air.

#10 ·
Your stock intake and filter is just fine. Don't change a thing. ;)

Hope you figure out your MAF problem. Just remember that the gas has nothing to do with it. Any gas meeting the minimum octane rating for your engine will be just fine.

As for your MAF problem...have you ever opened the airbox to look at the filter? Please note that anytime you open the airbox, you must replace the filter element as it will not seal correctly otherwise. Without a proper seal, dirt can get past and foul up the MAF as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.