loud clicking sound? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Default loud clicking sound?

Finally got the timing belt situation taken care of Now, I just need to figure out what the heck is causing this clicking sound in the engine. It sounds like an old mercedes diesel engine, just a real loud clicking sound. I only hear it when the car is in idle, and as soon as I accelerate and drive the sound is gone. But, it starts up again a few seconds after I stop and let the car sit idle. It sounds like it is coming from the center, or just to the back of the center, of the engine block. It is so loud that I really can't tell where the sound is coming from - I only know that is originating from the engine. I took it to a VW dealership, had them take a look at it They told me the alternator had gone bad. So I asked them if my extended warranty covered it, and yes it did,***except that I needed to get a check engine light come on with the code for the alternator, before my warranty would cover it*** So how long is that going to take??? How many misfires ($80 per diagnostic check) will I have to pay for before I get the magic one?

So any ideas as to what might be causing this sound? Besides an alternator?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2002 TDI GLS

I'll give it a shot.

Based on the fact that the noise goes away upon acceleration, have you checked the oil level? If the oil pressure is low, which could be caused by a lack of oil, if might be the lifters. I am not certain about the Beetle but my old Jetta had hydralic lifters to work the valves and it could clatter upon start up until the oil pressure was sufficient.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:23 AM
180 Degrees out of faze

Car: 98 TDI NB.

From the back center of the motor? An alternator? Naw, the alternator is attached to the front of the block.
Try this. Get some plastic pipe. About two feet long. With the motor running, put one end of the pipe to your ear, then move it around until the sound is the loudest. The pipe will be pointing at the problem.
Just from the description, a wild guess would be an exhaust leak. See if the sound is from around the turbo.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Weeeeeeee

Car: 01 GLX Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaco
From the back center of the motor? An alternator? Naw, the alternator is attached to the front of the block.
Try this. Get some plastic pipe. About two feet long. With the motor running, put one end of the pipe to your ear, then move it around until the sound is the loudest. The pipe will be pointing at the problem.
Just from the description, a wild guess would be an exhaust leak. See if the sound is from around the turbo.

A clicking sound will not be exhaust. if it was exhaust it would get louder under acceleration.A clicking sound could be your valve train. b/c if your oil is low when you accelerate your oil pressure rises and would take care of the lifters getting lubed up. I would check your oil level. It sounds like a lifter.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Car: 2002 Double Yellow New Beetle

My 2002 Turbo does this same thing. It is only audible at idle and sometimes not even then. I have a horrible VW dealership in my area so haven't even brought it in to have it looked at, they would just give me the run around anyway.

Jaimie
Old 01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Howdy

Car: 2003 GLX NBC, 06 NBC PKG2, 06 Golf

Ditto!!! I think it may the VTC assemblies making noise. (Variable Cam Timing) I've heard mine do the same thing....anyone else????

Last edited by blackonblack; 01-15-2006 at 01:53 AM..
Old 02-19-2006, 04:28 AM

i just fixed this problem on my wifes 01 sport.
what you have is a bad timing belt idler. the clicking is the belt getting loose and slapping inside the cover. the part is about 80 bucks from vw. replace it, and no more diesel sounds.
hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.