Help! Car won't go into gear!!!!! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 AM
"Lightning Beetle"

Car: 2000 Beetle 1.8t Blue
Exclamation Help! Car won't go into gear!!!!!

I drove the car earlier today and it was fine,I but when I just tried to leave it wouldn't go into gear! With the clutch all the way in it feels like something is stopping the shifter from going into any gear. and when I try to put it it in reverse it grinds really loud. I tried to push it into reverse and it just banged really loud. Is my clutch gone? The shifter linkage seems to be ok. It doesn't make any noise when i push on the clutch or try to put in gear or anything only reverse. It feels totally normal it just won't go into gear. Any help would be great! Thanks guys!
2001 1.8t,5spd,K03s,APR 91octane tune,4bar fpr,diode mod,fmic,forge dv & tip,n75r,cai,kinetic hf mani,3in downpipe,2.5in exhaust,no cat,VR6 clutch,guages,clubsport springs & shocks,shortshifter,HID's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 02:54 AM

Car: 2002 VW Reflex Silver New Beetle Turbo S

I don't know if this is a symptom with a manual transmission, but automatics have similar issues because of the brake switch.
Do you have a Check Engine Light? Is your EPC light on?
I was having a little minor difficulty with shifting into first and my EPC light was staying on until I had the brake light switch changed. Mine was covered under the VW recall...I don't know about 01',but you might want to check that as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 AM
"Lightning Beetle"

I checked but there are no codes, no epc. I don't know if it matters but it goes into gear fine when the cars not running. This sucks! I'm trying to buy a house right now and I don't have the money for this! This is my only car to drive at the moment so I need to fix it.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Kafer View Post
I checked but there are no codes, no epc. I don't know if it matters but it goes into gear fine when the cars not running. This sucks! I'm trying to buy a house right now and I don't have the money for this! This is my only car to drive at the moment so I need to fix it.
I'm not certain if the 1.8t has a shift carrier assembly or not, but the 2.0's do and it is plastic, when it breaks you cannot get it into gear, especially reverse. So check the shift linkage on the tranny; drivers side under the air box.

Also have you check your brake fluid lately? The clutch uses the same fluid.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

I just had my shift linkage break and its a very different symptom. Your shifter goes limp. But had 3rd and 4th. No issues with the clutch.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
"Lightning Beetle"

Yes checked and filled the brake fluid but it made no difference. I checked the linkage and it seems to be ok if the motor is off it goes into all the gears fine but as soon as i start the car it won't go into gear.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Yes checked and filled the brake fluid but it made no difference. I checked the linkage and it seems to be ok if the motor is off it goes into all the gears fine but as soon as i start the car it won't go into gear.
Have you check the tranny fluid?

Going into gear with motor not running really does not say much, as the motor and tranny are not under any stress. I did the same thing when the shift carrier broke on mine, the linkage moved, but I really could not tell if that movement was right or wrong.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 AM
"Lightning Beetle"

I drove through a big puddle before it did this and my vw mech friend told me that the clutch probably got wet and rusted together. I tried slamming it into gear to break it loose but it didn't work. with the car off i put it in first with the clutch in and turn the key to start it. I barely turn the key and the car jumps forward jerking violently until it starts going then if i slam it into each gear i can get all the gears (shifting up from one to the next) but if i take it out of gear it won't go back in and i can't downshift into any gear. if i slow down to about 5mph i can slam it back into first but it starts to buck again until i speed up. also once i get it into a gear i have to pull hard to get it out. with the car stopped and running i tried to slam it into reverse but the car died.

I think my clutch is locked up. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Quote:
I drove through a big puddle before it did this and my vw mech friend told me that the clutch probably got wet and rusted together. I tried slamming it into gear to break it loose but it didn't work. with the car off i put it in first with the clutch in and turn the key to start it. I barely turn the key and the car jumps forward jerking violently until it starts going then if i slam it into each gear i can get all the gears (shifting up from one to the next) but if i take it out of gear it won't go back in and i can't downshift into any gear. if i slow down to about 5mph i can slam it back into first but it starts to buck again until i speed up. also once i get it into a gear i have to pull hard to get it out. with the car stopped and running i tried to slam it into reverse but the car died.

I think my clutch is locked up. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ok, well, if you are depressing the clutch pedal and it still "jumps" when you attempt start it, I would say you need a new clutch.

And you might want to stop the mechanical diagnostic procedures or you will need a new tranny.

Exactly how deep was that "puddle"?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

You may just need a slave cylinder. It's the thing that pushes on the clutch fork. It sounds like when you press on the pedal, your clutch fork isn't moving.

I don't know what people think your clutch is bad. When a clutch fails, it WON'T engage. Your problem is that you can't get the pressure plate to DISengage. Two very different problems. The fact that it's locked in is a sure sign your clutch is a-okay in itself.

Heh, unless it's welded itself to the pressure-plate. :P Yoiu haven't been having alot of clutch slip lately have you?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
"Lightning Beetle"

No I haven't had any slippage the clutch was fine. How would I check the slave cylinder?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

I'm not really sure how to diagnose the slave cyl. You can remove it from the transmission, but I don't know how you're supposed to check to see if it's providing "spec" pressure.

You see that diamond shape mounting position near the top, it has 2 bolt holes and one round openning in the middle? That openning and those 2 bolt holes, that's your slave cylinder.

Another possible cause could be a broken shift-fork. I had mine break once. But it would bend instead of pressing. So it SORTA engaged, and it was accompanies by the teeth of the pressure plate banging against the fork. It was pretty gnarly.

So what' the pedal feedback like? Do is press in and resist like normal? Does it push back out on its own, or do you have to pry it off the floorboard?

Last edited by noR; 03-30-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
"Lightning Beetle"

pedal is fine
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by noR View Post
You may just need a slave cylinder. It's the thing that pushes on the clutch fork. It sounds like when you press on the pedal, your clutch fork isn't moving.

I don't know what people think your clutch is bad. When a clutch fails, it WON'T engage. Your problem is that you can't get the pressure plate to DISengage. Two very different problems. The fact that it's locked in is a sure sign your clutch is a-okay in itself.

Heh, unless it's welded itself to the pressure-plate. :P Yoiu haven't been having alot of clutch slip lately have you?
Well it looks like I need to review the clutch chapter; Thanks for the reminder noR.

I'll look up the slave cylinder on the Bentley DVD and see what it shows/says.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks, I'm running low on ideas really.
No fluid loss what-so-ever; then I think you need to pull the transmission and look at your clutch parts.

Something is keeping you foot from actuating the slave cylinder or the slave cylinder from pushing the clutch fork, or the clutch fork from pushing the throwout bearing into the pressure plate fingers, or the fingers from leveraging the pressure plate away from the flywheel.

It's gotta be right in there somewhere. :/
Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 PM
VW Junky

Car: 1999 GLS 2.sl0w

Hey Kafer,

I remember you from the Daytona show,here we are as the ONLY two Nbs the entire weekend.

I hope everything works out for ya.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Here is the breakdown for the fluid portion of the clutch... #12 is the slave cylinder.
Attached Images/Files

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
German Engineering

Car: 2000 GLS, 2001 E320, 1991 350SD Turbo-Diesel, 2012 Sorento

The problem doesn't sound hydraulic to me or else he would have trouble getting it into gear when the car is running or not. It sounds mechanical under a load and is probably the pressure plate especially if it is the underrated OEM original part.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

What? You don't use any hydraulics to engage a gear when the car's not running.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 AM
German Engineering

Car: 2000 GLS, 2001 E320, 1991 350SD Turbo-Diesel, 2012 Sorento

The hydraulic slave cylinder doesn't care whether the car is running or not running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.