Driver's side brake light not working...other side is fine - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 PM

Question Driver's side brake light not working...other side is fine

2001 NB GLX Turbo -

Are there any circuits for the brake/running light that are not in the fusebox inside the driver door of the cabin? If so, I have not found them or checked them.

Checked the fuses, all fine. Checked and even changed bulbs, all fine, three bulbs. Filaments in place and working for each one. Swapped fuses left to right side, still left (driver) side not working... brake and running lights (lights on no brake action) does not work on driver side. Turn signal in the same housing DOES work.

The other side is fine - all the above works, turn, brake and regular running lights.

Mr. Mechanical I am not, but I should be able to figure this out...

I have read about the brake light switch under the pedal in the cabin and also about switching out the socket that the light bulb hooks into...

Any ideas folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Peace Love & T.o.D.

Car: 1st 2000 GLX now 03.5 TS

Pop the lens out and wiggle the bulb to see if you can get it lit. These are known for being a little loose.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Default Brake light - not loose

I have jiggled the bulb. I have done everything. If the brake light switch, under the pedal is bad, can only one side go bad? So if the left side of that switch is bad, making the light go out? Because, the turn signal in that housing works... and the side marker light on the bottom rear left is also out I noticed...

I am so freaked out because I will be stopped any day now for a burned out tail light... I guess I am going to have to take it in to the dreaded dealer to get it fixed....

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Problem solved!

I fixed it. I am very proud of myself, even if the dealer raped me of a "genuine" VW part. I put a new socket on and it worked. Just took the old one out, kept the same bulb, plugged in the wiring and it worked! The dern part was $30 - yeah - just for the 3 pin socket... but it was worth it... All the trouble I went to...who would have thought. The dealer wanted $95 to fix it, that is over and above the "plug into the computer to check it out" fee.

Thanks everyone! I love this forum!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Peace Love & T.o.D.

Car: 1st 2000 GLX now 03.5 TS

Well done.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Lens Removal

The lens just pops out? I have a rapidly flashing left turn signal and the Haynes manual said one of the bulbs was bad and sure enough, I checked to find the left rear bulb out. I'll see if I can "pop" it out like you did.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Dvom

I used the Ohms setting on my Radio Shack digital multimeter to check the continuity of the bulb and it showed the bulb was good with a 0 Ohms reading so I reinstalled it and it now flashes correctly.

What luck
Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 AM

Default Still...

I hear clicking even though I'm not signaling.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM
New Owner: 2001 GLX Turbo

Car: 2001 GLX Turbo
Cool This project is finally complete

I finally got this fixed. After the socket blew out after less than a day, I took it to a mechanic. They said nothing was wrong, replaced the bulb and did not charge me much, like $35, but it was fixed. I picked it up, my wife trailing me in her car, she called and said the light was out... I took the car back... The mechanic replaced the bulb and put some silicone grease that is conductive, to tighten the bulb in the socket, and its fixed. Those bulbs are the loosest I have ever seen. Its like the socket is not tight or deep enough. Glad to have this fixed, now I have a bump and rattle in the back, I must find it or go crazy. Plus I dropped that nut that holds the tail light inside the trim, I cannot find or get it... it may be the rattle maker... any idea if I can purchase another one of these oversize nuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tail lights brake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.