How do I get out of "limp mode?" - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM

Car: 2001 VW Beetle, 1.8T AWV
Default How do I get out of "limp mode?"

Before I changed multiple sensors for get the Check Engine Light off on my 2001 1.8T Beetle, the dealership said that my car have transitioned to "limp mode."

I have now changed the MAS, Fuel relay, ETC and thermostat. Unfortunately, it's still in limp mode.

Is there any way to reset the computer on my own?

Also, does anybody know of any "performance software" that would allow me to mod/reset my computer's settings instead of buying a stage one chip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamilam View Post
Before I changed multiple sensors for get the Check Engine Light off on my 2001 1.8T Beetle, the dealership said that my car have transitioned to "limp mode."

I have now changed the MAS, Fuel relay, ETC and thermostat. Unfortunately, it's still in limp mode.

Is there any way to reset the computer on my own?

Also, does anybody know of any "performance software" that would allow me to mod/reset my computer's settings instead of buying a stage one chip?
Check the bottom two links in my signature.

1 to find a code scanner so you can scan your own codes and see what is wrong. The other to find a mechanic to work on your car instead of overpaying at the stealership.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the advice. I completely agree.

FYI...I only took it to the dealership for diagnostics. There were too many codes to interpret what was actually going on.

I changed all of the sensors and parts in my garage. (dealership quoted me $1200...I did it for about $300!)

Will a scanner get it out of "limp mode?"
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

If you want to mod settings, you'll need more than the scanner in FL-Bug's link. You'll want the full blown version of VCDS, also known as VAG-COM.
This is a good site for info and purchase: Ross-Tech: Home

You'll likely need to reset all the codes to get the car happy again, which you can do with a code scanner.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the link!

Soooo...if I reset the all of the codes with a scanner, my beetle won't be "limping" anymore?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Find a good lookin' gal to rub/blow on it for awhile...always gets me out of limp mode.

In all seriousness, the only way to get it out of limp mode is to actually fix the problem. If its still in limp mode, you haven't fixed the problem. If you have any boost related codes (underboost/overboost) then you have an issue going on with the turbo...more specifically what controls the turbo. N75, wastegate actuator, vacuum lines, etc.

I concur on the VCDS recommendation, lots of troubleshooting ability there, far more than a generic scanner.
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM
beetle driver for life

Car: 2000 Reflex Yellow GLS 1.8T

DZLBUG has it right you still have a problem that is keeping it in limp-mode. If I stay in full throttle to long my programing calls for boost that the turbo can't give so I go to limp mode. To get out of limp mode I simply shut of the ignition and back on; limp mode gone until the ECU sees a problem again. If you are constantly in limp-mode than something is still wrong. Somebody in your area should have VAg-com and could give you a print-out. Ask on your local forums.
09 ZX6R Candy Blue
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Limp mode is there for a reason and very good one too. It helps reducing damage to ur engine and destroying it ! making it simply "go away" is not the proper manner. Most probable cause of the limp mode is having a boost leak which can be in one of the pipes or ur diverter valve needs to be changed. having a boost/vacuum gauge is a must in any turbo application and Id recommend u install one if u have not already ! once installed u can notice the way ur gauge acts and u can pin point the problem better. In my case I was running on SOFT LIMP mode (from 15psi at start to only a very stable 5psi driving) so I took it to a mechanic and once 3 small tubes where changed problem was solved ! it took me a year to realize I was in limp mode until I got the gauge ... There was a site which was very nice and explained howto diagnose engine issues with boost guage ... i will try to find it 4 u
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.