VW Beetle Forum banner

Check engine light- Code P2187

11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MyOtherRidesAVette 
#1 ·
Ok, so i recently got my timing belt/water pump replaced and they said that they had also fixed a vacuum seal or pump or whatever and I was wondering #1, what is this exactly and #2, does this have to do with the spark plugs and If they would have gotten changed out (and is there a way to tell?). Now my check engine light is on again and I got the code P2187 and all i could find out about it is it means System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1. What does this mean?? I'm trying to figure it out on my own so i don't have to go back to the shop and spend money on something if its an easy fix.

#2 ·
Hope this helps!

18619/P2187/008583

From Ross-Tech Wiki
18619/P2187/008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle

Possible Causes

• Injectors leak/blocked
  • Air Intake Leak (after MAF)
  • Exhaust Leak
Possible Solutions

• Check Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) Vag-Com required to do this
  • Check Injector(s) Fuel Pressure Guage required to check for leaks, Ohm Meter required to check injectors for optimum performance
  • Check Fuel Pump Fuel pressure guage required, along with a number of other accessories
  • Check Activated Charcoal Filter (EVAP) System Solenoid Valve 1 (N80) Not sure about the method to check this
Special Notes

• When found in the NAR 2.0T (BPY) check RVUTB: 01-09-03 or 2018919 for updated Crankcase Breather Valve
    • If the breather valve is faulty, full engine vacuum is typically found when removing the oil cap at idle.
Retrieved from "18619/P2187/008583 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

Unless you have access to, and the ability to use the tools indicated in red above, I'm afraid your going to have to leave this one to the pros. This will more than likely be the cause of your drop in mpg, not worn or fouled spark plugs (see my post in the other thread where you questioned whether they had been replaced). The code could also indicate you may have another vacuum leak, I'm sure someone will be along to help you with a way to best check for this. You might also return to where you had the work done, and suggest the repair work they did, may be faulty. of course in a tactful way.

MORAV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.