Glove Box Repair - Splitting open the door - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Glove Box Repair - Splitting open the door

2002 1.8 with a glove box door that will not close. The plastic pins that hold it into the frame have retracted and will not release. Many discussions calling for replacement of the door and the door halves are glued so I figured it was worth a try. The door handle was fine in my case.

Split the door open with two flat blade screwdrivers starting at the bottom of the door. The shell plastic is very strong and did not break as I worked my way around the perimeter. One screwdriver held it open to let the other in and it was just a moderate prying exercise as the glued points popped open.

Once open I found one of the plastic pivot shafts the pivot arms move on - to move the door stay pins in and out - had broken off rendering the assemble useless.

I cleaned off the broken mounting points with brake cleaner and JB Weld-ed the broken shaft/pin into place. It is cheap plastic part so I gooped on the JB Weld around the outside of the piece as well as under the two thin plastic legs that hold it on. (Legs were the shear point) Repeated gooping on the other pin to add strength. Do not get the JB Weld built up where the arms pivot on the upper part of the pivot shaft.

After the glue set up, I drilled a hole through the cast hole in the pivot shaft all the way through the back of the door. I used a long 10-32 bolt entering through the outside of the freshly drilled holes and installed a washer and two nuts to help add strength to the assembly. Cut off the extra bolt length and glued it back together and that glue is drying now. Seems to work ok.

I did not include pics of every step as it is pretty understandable once you are in there plus your assemble may be broken in a different spot than mine.
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Also here is a pic of the "damage" I did with the screwdrivers. It is not visible from the outside and is not bad considering I did the job for about two dollars and a couple of hours time.

I have pics of the glove door frame and where to remove the hinge pins if anyone is interested.
Attached Images/Files

Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

Nice work! My glovebox is OK, it's the armrest cover that won't lock closed.
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 AM

$18 fix for the latch.

Armrest lid latches for VW Golf Jetta Passat TDI - AARodriguez Corp.

Check out his other stuff too for when the hinges go bad.

Double check to see if it fits New Beetle.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM

Car: 2000 Beetle GLX

yea i was lucky with my parts beetle, the other two have broken center consoles, but the parts one had a good one, was first ive seen, most are broken there, sucks when you fold it back and all ure stuff falls out on the rear floor, lol
Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Beetle is my wife's car and she has the matching yellow wheels with the yellow leather interior. Armrest with the leather is $400 plus. I'll just buy the aftermarket hinge from the guy I mentioned above.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Car: 2000 Beetle GLX

yea, really like the look of those cars, hard to find around here though, seen one in kijiji locally here, but too high of price for the kms on it
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 AM
aka the Volkswagen Fairy

Car: 2002 1.8 liter Turbo Snap Orange Color Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnyed View Post
Nice work! My glovebox is OK, it's the armrest cover that won't lock closed.
I made a loop with velcro and slip it over the two halves. It holds well, and slips off when I need it.

Studebaker Warren Zevon
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 AM
aka the Volkswagen Fairy

Car: 2002 1.8 liter Turbo Snap Orange Color Concept

I removed the lock and finally opened the glove box. Now I have a hole which I fixed with,,,wait for it... long velcro fastening that loops around the grab bar. According to my brother my world is held together with duct tape, velcro and epoxy. (Actually he said my computer is held together with baling wire and chewing gum.)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default door handle

good job and great diy thread. The door handle is what was broke in mine so I think I'm SOL. The actual plastic part where the metal pins go through on the handle are broke, been without a glovebox door for a year now.....LOL just not in my priority list and will get around to it some day. JB Weld is a wonderful product I use it every chance I get.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:47 AM

Bob - great post! Thanks for documenting your work. A stupid question...before you can work on the door, how do you get it out of the car? Do you have to take the dash apart?

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 03-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Hi Bob you have just saved us 79.00 as we were about to buy another door for our beetle great pics really easy to follow exactly as decribed thanks once again
martinohttp://newbeetle.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinno View Post
Hi Bob you have just saved us 79.00 as we were about to buy another door for our beetle great pics really easy to follow exactly as decribed thanks once again
martinohttp://newbeetle.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks, Martinno. I have not been on-line here for a while.

John R asked about getting the door out in 2012. I don't remember specifically except it was harder than it should have been. I remember some cog wheels that allow it to drop slowly on the side towards the center of car.

Maybe Martinno remembers. His may be backwards given he lives in the UK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.