VW Beetle Forum banner

Affordable tune.

5K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  Wolfe2212 
#1 ·
I know that this is not an apr or a unitronic tuner, but it's a great bang for your buck.

Ssp tuning offers stages 1-3 tunes that are very reliable and easy to install.

The tune is actually an ecu out of the same car you drive but tuned. You pay $250 for the ecu, and you get $100 back once you ship them your stock ecu.

I for one am very pleased with the ecu that I purchased, and I think everyone should have one.

I'm running 20 lbs of boost, at 230hp and 240tq. For the price I say you cannot beat it.

So if you're looking to buy a tune for your car, and don't want to spend $500+ I'd suggest ssp tuning.

Thanks guys, I'll post more pictures of my boost gauge at full boost here today.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
There is a reason that the most reliable tunes cost money...there is a lot of time and money that goes into the development of them to make sure they are stable and effective. I would be very wary of a "tune" this cheap. And it seems there may be good reason to be wary based on that link.

#4 · (Edited)
I think; as with anything that is a quality product; you are paying for the R&D work but also (this is the real test of a product) the after sales, support! As the old saying goes:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

I have not gotten a tune as of yet but after you get the tune; issues start popping up, who are you gonna call? Another reason; I have not gotten one yet, keeping my stock car running and tuned to a decent running condition, has kept me VERY busy as it is! I would be concerned; always wondering if it was the tune that was causing a problem or not. I also see this; as a reason, that I would want a tune setup; that had the ability to turn it back to the stock programming for troubleshooting purposes. Maybe I am just a newb; when it comes to really understanding turbo charging and just now, starting to understand the components that make up the system and how they work but I maybe overblowing the whole issue. :) Bottom line; its hard enough to keep these cars on the road without dealing with a cheap tune, weak support when you have a problem! :mad:

#17 ·
I would be concerned; always wondering if it was the tune that was causing a problem or not. I also see this; as a reason, that I would want a tune setup; that had the ability to turn it back to the stock programming for troubleshooting purposes.
APR tuning does make such a tune. You change which setting you're in using the cruise control buttons. So say you get the tune but you need to leave your car with a friend. You can have them install either stock mode or valet mode to make sure he won't go hot rodding all over town. And APR is a proven tuning company that writes their own tunes and has dyno numbers to back up everything. All the information is right up front. No digging.

#5 ·
No hard feelings taken.

I read that thread and I know that he copies stuff and takes your ecu. But the thing is is that it actually is a well built tune so far. I've had it for a week now and my buddy also said the same thing.

And another thing is that I work hard for my money and nothing is ever handed down or given to me. So I bought this time to save myself some money. And I've already planned on getting a stage two unitronic here in the near future. This is just a temp tune, for when I came up and get the more reliable tune.

Other than that I think it's a great first time to have. It's worked well for me, and I would recommend it to anyone.

#6 · (Edited)
Glad it is working for you; please keep us posted as time goes on and if you do have any problems/issues, then you do require support, from the vendor... let us know how that works out as well! Have you have your car dyno'd; to see what the real world, horsepower differences and increase was? What stage and specific tune did you purchase? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

#7 ·
Glad it is working for you; please keep us posted as time goes on and if you do have any problem, require support from the vendor... let us know how that works out as well! Have you have your car dyno'd; to see what the real world, horsepower differences and increase was? What stage and specific tune did you purchase? Inquiring minds want to know! :-0
Sorry for sounding like a d!ck head, have had a bad morning already..

But I will keep everyone informed. I haven't taken it to a dyno yet. I want to but I don't know where one is. I'm running a stage 1 tune right now, at 20 lbs of boost, 230hp and 240tq

Pretty solid for my likings haha

#8 ·
What other mods do you have? I would be very interested to see a dyno run. You don't get 230hp until Stage 2 with most tunes...I'm skeptical honestly.

#10 ·
I am glad you are enjoying your upgrade; now I am interested in hearing about your dyno testing results! :) Thanks again for posting; I am interested in all and every one's experiences in their quest for more horsepower! :)

#15 ·
I only know of ones over by Raleigh. Eurowise in Charlotte may have one, or know of one in the area.

#21 ·
No turbo upgrade needed. Downpipe and CAI or short ram, though I don't have the CAI/short ram. I do have a Forge 007 diverter valve though, which is suggested but not required. I have a 3" cat back from 42 Draft Designs installed. Upgraded intercooler is also recommended, but not required. Not something I'm messing with right now. My mechanic said I'm pretty good to go for it, and they are a Unitronic dealer. I need stage 2...I have a high flow cat and that gets rid of the code.

Unitronic's site has everything spelled out for each tune stage. All required equipment, gains, etc.

#22 ·
That's nasty. Your the one that I was taking to that got the exhaust for a good deal right?

Unitronic dealer in your neighborhood is pretty sweet. I want to go with a stage two for Christmas. But I do have a CAI, and I'm getting a high flow cat. I want to get a upgraded down pipe. Intercooler seems like they are all universal, and I don't want to have to hack at it to make it fit.

#23 ·
Yeah I don't want to hack up my front bumper. My mechanic said I didn't really need it. I'm not going to be racing around everywhere so I'm not really worried about it. And yes, I got my 42DD setup for a good price. Deals are out there to be had. Just gotta keep an eye on classifieds. VWvortex would be a good place to keep an eye out for it.

I've been wanting a tune for over a year. Just has taken time to get all the parts in place. I was planning on Stage 1+, but with the cat, I either need a spacer or just go Stage 2. Why not a bit more power? :)

#24 ·
#25 ·
Yeah I've seen them. But not messing with it for now. Its not required for the tune. And my mechanic said I'm fine without it. I trust them. They've been a Unitronic dealer for a long time and have done some serious builds. I wouldn't be going Stage 2 if they didn't think I shouldn't. They actually said my car is one of the strongest 1.8Ts they've driven, for stock at least. I'm pretty happy :) Can't wait for the extra power!!

#27 ·
I'm not going to dyno. Their gains are stated on their site. 230hp/275tq for the Stage 2 tune.

#29 ·
I honestly don't care enough to get exact numbers. I'm going to be getting some big gains though.

#31 ·
Got Stage 2 yesterday. It's been raining here so I haven't really been able to really get some good driving in, but what I did drive yesterday was incredible. Pulls much, much stronger and is very smooth. Boosting 20 psi and not even flinching. I love it. Worth every penny. Plus, I got the tune for less than the price of Stage 1 :D

#32 ·
Hmmm, why do I always get the sense; that you have great "insider" connections on stuff and get such killer deals? LOL! You lucky girl! We need a full update and review; on your 20th/GTI page!

I wonder if I see these possible upgrades in your future?

upgraded Performance SMF clutch conversion kit

Wavetrac LSD/steel shifter forks (I wonder how long that rivet on the shifter fork will last?) :)

performance motormounts; (BFI maybe?)

coil overs/suspension upgrade (we can dream; can't we?)

ahh, the list goes on! :)

#34 ·
No real other upgrades in the future right now. The 20th suspension is already lower and stiffer from the factory with sport springs, and there are Koni oranges on there right now. Handles really great. I did get traction control to come on last night getting on the highway though...definitely can see why people get LSDs installed. Clutch is still solid. If it goes out, then yeah I'll probably upgrade.

And my mechanic is a Unitronic dealer. Uni is running their summer sale right now ($50 off), my mechanics just opened a new shop yesterday so they were running $50 off for that, and I won $50 off at a charity event they put on last year. I just was waiting for the right deal to come along. All about patience =)

Custom tunes are great. There is a guy in Durham that does his own tunes and from what I've heard of them, they are really solid. I am not planning on anything crazy so off the shelf worked for me luckily. And my CEL is gone!

#33 ·
Lol I wish I could be cool like you and get a tune, but I am doing a custom built engine built by me using a different turbo, massive injectors, forged internals, and new camshafts. I will need a custom one, not an off the shelf one like you guys are getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.