surging at low rpm - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.9 Liter TDI

1.9 Liter TDI Discussion area for the frugal 1.9 liter turbodiesel engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM

Default surging at low rpm

I have a 2002 1.9L TDI Beetle that is surging at around 2000 rpm while driving. Actually seems to do it at any rpm if you hold steady. I have been running diesel additive lately and just replaced fuel filter-it was doing this before changind filter. You can see it serge about 200 rpms on tach. If anyone can help with this, any suggestions appreciated, please chime in. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 04:40 PM
This chick drives a stick

Car: 2002 Reflex Silver TDI w/ 5 spd swap! (PAID OFF 3/14/14)

I'm not sure what would cause the surging....have you cleaned the turbo and intake yet? I know additives will HELP with that, but if they were clogged or really dirty, it's not going to clean them completely. How many miles? Auto or manual?

"Probie"

smvwparts.com
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleRoze View Post
Auto or manual?
Ditto. If an automatic, it sounds like the TCC in the valve body is failing.

See "Test Case 2" in this thread:
01M part 3 - TDIClub Forums
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Yeah it is an automatic and has 113000 miles on it. Never changed transmission fluid. Always was told by buddies in transmission field that don't mess with what ain't broke. Anyway if it is the TCC how complicated is this to fix and also is there a detent adjustment. I thought this may have something to do with it also...
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I Am Breitbart

No adjustments to be made. I would suggest reading up on that thread I linked you to and other similar threads like it. Talk to the guy who wrote it, he is an excellent resource.

Best thing to do would be to drop the pan and remove the valve body to have it rebuilt/replaced. Its not that hard to do, but you have to be extremely careful with the ribbon cable and its clips. Richard (CoolAirVW) can either rebuild your valve body or send you one if he has one ready to go to exchange.

If you let it go much longer you are guaranteed a premature failure. Fixing the valve body doesn't guarantee you will have a long life out of it but its your best chance if you want to keep that trans going and to eliminate further damage. Simply put, they are a very poor transmission that (other than the valve body) are extremely expensive and difficult to repair. Rebuilds of these transmissions do not work. Many don't last beyond 150k miles. Some don't even make it to 100k miles.

If you want to keep the car long term, strongly consider a 5 speed swap. Relatively cheap and cost-effective, and the powertrain will easily outlast the body if properly cared for. Both Michelle and I have done it and are extremely happy.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Car: 98 TDI 5 Speed Herbie
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
No adjustments to be made. I would suggest reading up on that thread I linked you to and other similar threads like it. Talk to the guy who wrote it, he is an excellent resource.

Best thing to do would be to drop the pan and remove the valve body to have it rebuilt/replaced. Its not that hard to do, but you have to be extremely careful with the ribbon cable and its clips. Richard (CoolAirVW) can either rebuild your valve body or send you one if he has one ready to go to exchange.

If you let it go much longer you are guaranteed a premature failure. Fixing the valve body doesn't guarantee you will have a long life out of it but its your best chance if you want to keep that trans going and to eliminate further damage. Simply put, they are a very poor transmission that (other than the valve body) are extremely expensive and difficult to repair. Rebuilds of these transmissions do not work. Many don't last beyond 150k miles. Some don't even make it to 100k miles.

If you want to keep the car long term, strongly consider a 5 speed swap. Relatively cheap and cost-effective, and the powertrain will easily outlast the body if properly cared for. Both Michelle and I have done it and are extremely happy.
+1 What he said, very good advice
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
You can always turbo it

WI, USA

You probably shouldn't use diesel additive depending on where you live, some localities have additive in their diesel fuel, be careful what you add
Dyno: (2010) 186HP
13.695 quarter (2009)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I Am Breitbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by VdubOne View Post
You probably shouldn't use diesel additive depending on where you live, some localities have additive in their diesel fuel, be careful what you add
I always run additive in my TDI, there is nothing wrong with it. Some diesel is better than others as far as additives, but I always like extra insurance with lubricity and (during the winter months) anti-gel. Power Service in the white bottle during the winter, Power Service in the silver bottle the rest of the year. Lubricity additives are mandatory as far as I am concerned, particularly on the rotary pump TDI's now that ULSD is fully in effect. It is a fairly "dry" fuel, especially straight D2. In states where at least 2% biodiesel is mandated, its not so bad.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:04 AM

Any updates on this? Mine is doing the same thing
Old 11-19-2012, 01:10 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

How is your injection pump timing and injection quantity? Intake cleaned out? Fuel filter changed recently?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.