VW Beetle Forum banner

VAS 1978/4A Release Tool...where can I get one???

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sb_beetle 
#1 · (Edited)
IPOD Adaptor VAS 1978/4A Release Tool...where can I get one???

Hi
I am hooking up the VW Ipod adapter and it it calls for a
VAS 1978/4A release tool. Ican't seem to find one on the internet for sale. Anybody know where to get one? any idea how much $ they cost?

Also any input /suggestions on the install would help and it isn't as easy following these instructions as I thought it would be. I have a 2003 VW Bug so I have the 3 part connector housing on the back of my radio.

I hope I don't end up having to take it into the dealer to put it in. PLeaZZee Help me.

#2 ·
WendyBug said:
Hi
I am hooking up the VW Ipod adapter and it it calls for a
VAS 1978/4A release tool. Ican't seem to find one on the internet for sale. Anybody know where to get one? any idea how much $ they cost?

Also any input /suggestions on the install would help and it isn't as easy following these instructions as I thought it would be. I have a 2003 VW Bug so I have the 3 part connector housing on the back of my radio.

I hope I don't end up having to take it into the deal to put it in. PLeaZZee Help me.

:confused:
It's just a 'radio release tool' that you can find on ebay for cheap :) You don't need the OEM one with that part # :)

#3 ·
No, its not a radio release tool, it is for releasing a wire from the back of the radio so it can be connected to a different area. If I can figure out how to get the wire to come out of the connector housing without breaking it I would, but it needs a special tool called VAS 1978/4A or something similar to it.
Anyone??

#4 ·
Well I found the tool on line for about $85. VW would sell me one for $65. I decided to have VW just install it for me for.
Hopefully they won't make me go broke for labor price.
Just so all you know, the
Original VW Ipod adaptor is NOT and Easy install like some of ya'all make it sound, unless maybe you have done these kind of things before....which I have not. I did get the radio out and put back in though. 1st time for everything :D

#5 ·
I didn't buy the tool. And could not find it on Ebay. it was for sale on some VW Audi parts website. But I won't buy it, I will have the service shop install instead.
Yes the tool release the wires /metal tips from the housing, but I don't think I know what I am doing ..Ha... so Not sure even if the pics are of the right housing, Now I think it is the Black housing instead. The directions in the book are very limited and not easy to understand.

#6 ·
I didn't buy the tool. And could not find it on Ebay. it was for sale on some VW Audi parts website. But I won't buy it, I will have the service shop install instead.
Yes the tool release the wires /metal tips from the housing, but I don't think I know what I am doing ..Ha... so Not sure even if the pics are of the right housing, Now I think it is the Black housing instead. The directions in the book are very limited and not easy to understand.

#7 ·
Hmmm...

WendyBug said:
Sounds like something you could pick up at a specialty electronics store for much cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.