VW Beetle Forum banner

Cha2ga's Fusca Tdi

27K views 143 replies 13 participants last post by  XavierNusum 
#1 · (Edited)
2000 Beetle Tdi.

#110 · (Edited)
Having a new alternator clutch pulley; makes a big difference, I went through a bunch of belts and screeching noises, before I figured out my clutch pulley had seized! Much smoother and quiet belts, compared to a seized one! :)

What kind of volts; is the alternator putting out, after the rebuild?

Also, why a rebuild over buying new? Was it strictly more cost effective or availability in your area? All of the of the auto electric shops; that used to rebuild electrical parts in my area, have closed! :( I have been researching a rebuild kit for my 120 amp Valeo alternator; good DIY videos on YouTube, it looks like it could be a fun DIY project! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#111 ·
Billy it did make a huge difference. About 20k miles before this, I replace the timing belt. At that time I replaced the idler pulley and the tensioner on the serpentine drive belt as well as the timing roller components.

14.1 volts at idle with as much system load as I could make (lights, rear defroster, etc).

I have always had alternators rebuilt. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer with over 100k on a rebuilt alternator and 220k total miles. So I saw no reason to drop $475 for a Bosch rebuild. In fact I would prefer the Valeo new one (idparts) for about $200, last time I checked. All the tdi's are 120Amp as well.
I looked at the kits and agree on the diy worthiness. I actually rebuilt the large radiator fan at one time.

#112 ·
I looked at diy's and tried to fix my small fan but it had back/forth play and I destroyed it trying to take it apart. These newer cheaply made parts; are not always rebuild/repair friendly! In the older parts of the past; everything had fasteners and could be assembled/disassembled easily, not so
Much anymore. I bought a new made in China VDO fan and replaced it; no problems so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#113 ·
I reached the 200,000 mile mark this week. I can say that it has been a fun car. It took some effort to get maintenance caught up and correct the neglect from the prior owner. I can truly say that I will drive this car anywhere. If you have followed this thread you know the amount of effort, time, and money I have spent on this car. I

#114 ·
Service 200,360 miles.
Oil Mobil1 0W/40
Oil filter Wix 57210
Air filter Mann c37154
Cabin filter Mann CUK2962
Fuel Filter Mahle KL147D
Wiper Bosch icon 21A drivers
Wiper Bosch Icon 19B passenger
PowerService silver to prime fuel filter
Rotate tires
Inspect drivetrain
Inspect exhaust

Note the oil filter in the first pic is not for this car (it's for my daughters Passat 3.6).

#115 · (Edited)
I installed gauges. All the parts are listed below but even better is the wiring diagram a few pictures down with all the parts listed on it.
Gauges are VDO Vision Black
VDO 310-151 EGT
VDO 150-104 BOOST
VDO 350-104 OIL PRESSURE
VDO 360-001 sender 80psi oil pressure

Blue LEDs are from 42 Draft Designs

#121 ·
Looks good, are you going to paint the new pod yellow; as well? I'm generally, not a fan; of the plastic texture/shiny surface; on the aftermarket plastics they sell. I would want, to keep the glare down; I wonder, if you converted it in a matte vinyl of some sort, maybe it would look good? A little bit of stitching; around the curves and it would look cool and 'factory' styling! The blue faces, on the gauges; sets it off nicely! :)

#124 ·
My radio reception was very poor. I replaced the antenna base when I first bought the car. I incorrectly used an aftermarket non amplified base and the signal improved only marginally.
I learned that the oem VW base has a circuit board with a sgnal amplifier built into the base. I bought one from fixmyvw and installed it. The signal has improved dramatically!

#127 · (Edited)
204, 088 miles

Had a Check Engine Light come on. Used my VCDS to scan and it was:

16764 / P0380 code (Glow plug/heater circuit electrical fault

I used my fluke multimeter to check resistance of each glow plug: 10.5Ω, 1.8Ω,1.8Ω,1.8Ω. Obviously the first glow plug was bad. It's nice that with a diesel you only replace the bad one, unlike spark plugs, because they are not a wear item.
I ordered a new Bosch 80028/0250202022 Duraterm Glow Plug. I sprayed Sili-Kroil on the old plug and drove for a day. Set my Armstrong click torque wrench to 24ft-lb and attempted to loosen plug. This was to ensure that it would come out easily without over torquing of breaking it off in the head. It loosened easily and I removed it the rest of the way by hand and not with the socket. I applied Loctite copper antisieze to the threads of the new plug and hand threaded it without any tools to ensure it was not cross threaded. I titled to 11ft-lbs. reattached the harness. Scanned and cleared codes with VCDS. Too it for a drive and CEL did not come back. Rescanned and no codes were present. Since I already had the VCDS and tools and antisieze, the total damage was $12.38 with free shipping with Amazon Prime.

#128 ·
Another successful repair; good job! Just think, how much a VW dealership, would have charged for that repair? It is SO satisfying; doing your own repairs and getting oem parts, for cheap off the internet! :)

#130 ·
205,287 miles

Had a Check Engine Light come on. Used my VCDS to scan and it was:

16764 / P0380 code (Glow plug/heater circuit electrical fault

Well the CEL for the glow plugs came back on. This time it was the #2 cylinder that was bad. Went ahead and ordered three new ones as above. All four glow plugs changed within last 1200 miles. Don't feel like chasing this all winter so I went ahead and did them all.

#131 ·
207,630 miles.

Replaced both hatch struts and the hood strut. They were not supporting the weight during the winter. Brand New OEM units from fixmyvw.com. Also threw in a new orange silicon fob cover to commemorate Clemson winning the Natty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.