VW Beetle Forum banner

"safe mode" problem? How to get it unlocked?

62K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  The Lady Bug 
#1 ·
CD panel showed "safe mode" after battery once ran out. I checked the manual, it seemed an UNLOCK is needed. I called dealer and got the quota like $55. Is this a tough job for DIY? Need any tools?
Thanks in advance for any advices.

#2 ·
are you talking about your

is you radio saying safe mode?....if it is...you need to get ur 4 digit # for ur radio....when i bought my used 200 2.0 gls...it was on safe mode (theft mode) the car dealer had the code(no name dealer) i punched it in and radio works.

#3 ·
Do you have the original owner's manual? If so, then the radio code is in the booklet. If not, then you're kind of in need of the service dept.

In some rare cases, I've seen radios go into SAFE mode and come back out without needing a code. Perhaps having a steady power source, not sure.

-Des

#4 ·
2000 NB Sound system, Booklet 3.4, below the contents is the radio card. Right next to the radio card is an important note, that among other things it states"...if you lose the radio card and the code number, your AUTHORIZED VW DEALER WILL HELP YOU FREE-OF-CHARGE.
Take it to the dealer and show it to them and if they charge you send the receipt to VW of America. You WILL get your money back...
Hammer

#6 ·
2001convertable said:
I bought my beetle new and they had to order me a book because mine was not in the car. I just called and asked for the # and they gave it to me. My question is once you have the # and the radio does go to safe mode what do you do to input the code it the radio?....Thanks Anthony
use the preset buttons. :D

#7 ·
Well the Superbug's radio is now in safe mode after a dead battery, I have the radio code ready however now I'm feeling a little silly because I put my radio back into safe mode!
Does someone have an explanation for dummies on how to input the code into a 2001 NB 1.8L radio?? My code begins with a 9 but there are only the numbers 1 to 6 in my preset buttons. I can see that the solution to this is going to be as clear as day and I am going to feel like a complete dummy but I'm not keen to keep on pressing buttons and put the radio into safe mode permanently. My singing just isnt that great without sound to drown me out....

#9 ·
On my '98, if you press preset one button nine times, the first number for the code will change to nine. If you press prset two button say seven times, it will change the second number to seven. After the number pops up, I think I pushed the seek button to the right. Don't know if this will work on your later model bug though.

#13 ·
I think that last 'hit' of the seek button should have been a 'hold-down-until-it-beeps.' Quoting from memory here, though...
If it's not letting you enter the code again, maybe disconnecting the battery again for at least 1/2 an hour would enable that? But I'd try holidng down the seek first...

#18 · (Edited)
You get two tries and then the radio locks you out. But if you turn on the ignition and let the radio sit for an hour, it will go back to SAFE mode.

I have gotten a differnet story every time I call my dealer... Yes, I can get the code, No I have to bring it in (I live three hours from a dealer) because that's "Volkswagen policy" and No, I have to bring it in because that have to plug it in to get the code which I think is total BS. I am really bummered.

Update... I finally called the dealship's service manager and offered to fax my title, driver's license, photo of me sitting in the car touching the radio, etc. etc. and he was gracious and gave me the code. So it is possible but expect to be frustrated before you're done.

#20 ·
1) Way to bump an 8 + year old thread for no reason...

2) Not everyone has the owners manual or the code.

#22 ·
You really need to start new threads with your problems. No AC has nothing to do with the radio safe mode.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#25 ·
Start a new thread.

#26 ·
Radio safemode fixed

What I did was trim off the car, then arm the alarm, then open the driver side door with the key. This should unlock the radio. It started when I changed the batter and it locked into safe mode. This should work if you radio was previously working

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.