Ignition Switch Replaced-Now Won't Start - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 05:35 PM

Unhappy Ignition Switch Replaced-Now Won't Start

Well, I replaced the ignition switch on my daughter's 2000 nb after the lights, fan, horn stopped working. Upon replacement, I found some slight evidence of overheating on the connector and the old switch but didn't appear too bad. I replaced the switch (excellent instructions on the forum). Now the starter won't engage. Everything seems to work with the exception of the dash "idiot" lights and the starter. I just slid the new switch in place until it seated and tightened the set screws. Did I miss something else or could I have more extensive damage? The car was starting just prior to the switch replacement. Any additional advice would be appreciated before I give up and go the dealer. Thanks. This is a great place for tech advice and I have already saved a bundle on past repairs using the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Car: '06 Harvest Moon Beige PKG 2 TDI

Does the 2000 have an immobilizer? If so, you may need to synch the keys to the new ignition module. I'm just guessing here but it sounds somewhat reasonable.

Former owner of:
  • Stitch - the 2003 BLCC 1.8t 5spd. w/Turbo S conversion
  • Bluebee - the 2001 Vortex Blue Limited Edition 1.8t 5spd.
  • Beetlebug - the 1998 Techno Blue 2.0 5spd.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:56 PM

Thanks. I have no idea though. Anyone else know?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2761
Well, I replaced the ignition switch on my daughter's 2000 nb after the lights, fan, horn stopped working. Upon replacement, I found some slight evidence of overheating on the connector and the old switch but didn't appear too bad. I replaced the switch (excellent instructions on the forum). Now the starter won't engage. Everything seems to work with the exception of the dash "idiot" lights and the starter. I just slid the new switch in place until it seated and tightened the set screws. Did I miss something else or could I have more extensive damage? The car was starting just prior to the switch replacement. Any additional advice would be appreciated before I give up and go the dealer. Thanks. This is a great place for tech advice and I have already saved a bundle on past repairs using the forum.
Would you have the link to the ignition replacement procedures? I have not been able to find them - - - yet.
Thanks,
Mike L.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 PM

I have replaced the ign switch twice on mine. The 1st one went withouth a hitch. The second time I replaced the switch and the plug to it. Put it all back together, and everything that didnt work before did, but wouldnt start. Ended up being a "bad" new switch. Got another one and voila, everything work. Make sure to put a lot of dielectric grease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.