headlight adjustment question - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 AM

Car: 1998 New Beetle 2.0, 1968 Beetle, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 2003 Passat V6 4-motion wagon
Default headlight adjustment question

Hey everyone, hope all is well with you all (including your cars). I have a quick question: How do I adjust my headlights? Since I've had the car, they've always seemed to be pointed down too much. This is somewhat problematic when I'm driving on the freeway during night. I really hate to be the guy on the road that always has his high beams on... Any tips and/or suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 01:13 PM

Car: 1998 2.0 GLS

if you look on the inner sides of the headlight buckets, you'll see two white plastic (or gray plastic) hex-shaped screw heads. these are the adjusters. they're a bit counterintuitive to work, and are a bit of apin to get at, since one is occluded by the bucket retention strap, and neither offer a straight-on position for the screwdriver/hex socket/hex/key.

I had to sadjust one of mine and I wound up actually taking the headlight bucket out, so that I could figure out which way to turn the screws to get the thing to adjust correctly. (I actually wound up taking the lens off the bucket as well)

my Hanes manual illustrated the headlight adjuster positions. do you have a manual?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Car: 1998 New Beetle 2.0, 1968 Beetle, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 2003 Passat V6 4-motion wagon

Thanks for the advise. I had and idea those screws were for adjustment, but wasn't entirely sure.

I don't have a manual unfortunately. I really should get one.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM

Be extremely careful when adjusting the plastic screws if one happens to get overturned or pushed to hard it will break and the entire headlight assembly will need to be replaced!! Not a cheap mistake to correct...just ask my body shop.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:35 AM

Car: 01 1.9TDI Techno Blue

The top screw adjusts the height of the low beam, I can't figure out what the lower screw does.

The best way to turn them is with an extra long 6mm ball tipped hex key.

You can adjust the foglights using a T20 torx driver to turn the screw by the top of the light.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:20 PM

Car: 07 TripleWhite Convertible

I just re-aimed my passenger side lowbeam. The dealer had to replace that headlight unit (about $500 part) and of course they didn't aim it correctly. I could see the road 20feet in front of me very good though.

I had to use a T 40 torx, because my allen wrench wasn't long enough to fit straight it.....it just spun in the socket. The torx did great!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Default Adj screws not working?

The driver's side adjustment screws spin and spin (either direction) but don't actually change the direction of the beam. They have never worked (ie, I didn't start fiddling with it and broke it). I have taken the headlight out, tried everything I can think of. Using Torx heads, but can't tell you the size a the moment. I can confirm that the white "innards" spin against the black bucket. They just don't seem to turn anything at all.
I'm the original owner.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM

Default well

i can tell you i have been trying to get mine to go higher as wlel with absolutely no luck what so ever, its out of control how much of a pain it is to raise the distance
Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Ziggy's Mom

Car: 06 Salsa Red TDI Pkg 1 ("Ziggy")

Just found this thread... Does anyone have a picture of what this thread is talking about? I'm a very visual person, so I'm not really understanding what everyone's talking about. Or.... anyone know how much it costs to have a shop or stealership to aim the headlights for you?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Ziggy's Mom

Car: 06 Salsa Red TDI Pkg 1 ("Ziggy")

Just FYI, stealership charges $80!!!! No wonder they call it the stealership! Dad and I will be attempting to aim them this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Made me want to go into an expletive tirade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.