Water pump? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Just Buggin' Around!

Car: 2001 NB GL, green/black
Default Water pump?

Have any of you had the water pump go out on your NB? I'm about to have my timing belt replaced and wonder if I should go ahead and have the water pump done at the same time. (The Buglet is a 2.0L with 104K on it, FWIW.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
120,000+ miles

Southern New England,
Car: 99 2.0 Techno Blue GLS

yes, and I think it is because it's easy access while the timing belt work is done
those 'in-the-know' mechanically will chime in I hope to explain better
Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
" I need me one of them"

Car: 2001 GLX 1.8T

It will cost you a bit more to get the Water Pump done as well but with that many miles on your car and everything that I have read and gone through myself with VW. Do it all at once.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
MINI & NB FOR LIFE!

Car: 2004 MINI Cooper S 2001 blue vortex 1.8t + 1971 vert + 68 bug & 71 & 78 buses

I know the 1.8t's have plastic impellers that are prone to breakage. If I were you I'd change it . And this is where I got my belt & pump. I'm sure they have for your 2.0 too.
http://www.metalmanparts.com/product...7&categoryId=8
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Moderation in Moderation

Car: 2012 Yellow Rush Beetle 2.5 & 1970 VW Bug

The plastic impeller water pumps are very brittle and are prone to cracking. It's not so much miles but type of driving, heat cycles and sometimes just plain luck that decides when one goes.

I have personally witnessed water pumps cracking from as early as 21,000 miles up to 140,000 miles. The most common failure seems to happen right at 70,000 miles.

The metal impeller pumps also fail but instead of just exploding they will leave a tell tale drip in the drive way which is a much nicer way of finding out that you need to replace a water pump than to have it grenade and take out your motor with it.

■■■■■■■■■■■■
Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

That's a big YES!
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 01-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

Anytime they have to remove that front cover...have them replace the water pump and timing belt together. The pump change will cost you a third of what it would if you weren't changing the timing belt.

2001 Techno Blue Pearl 5 spd GLS. Heated leather, fog lights, power sunroof, alloy wheels.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Car: manual y2k gls 2.0
Default Water pump and....

I am currently going thru this excitement (coming home from the garage this past Saturday, after getting new tires, the red light came on).... I just found out that in my case it was my water pump, thermostat and sensor.

As I am the original owner (and I have NOT yet hit 63,000 miles - yes you are reading that correctly) the water pump is coming under the powertrain warranty and is being replaced at no charge!

(I am also over due for my brake fluid I am having that done now) the total is $300.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Beetle
I am currently going thru this excitement (coming home from the garage this past Saturday, after getting new tires, the red light came on).... I just found out that in my case it was my water pump, thermostat and sensor.

As I am the original owner (and I have NOT yet hit 63,000 miles - yes you are reading that correctly) the water pump is coming under the powertrain warranty and is being replaced at no charge!

(I am also over due for my brake fluid I am having that done now) the total is $300.
Right. Then tell them to replace the timing belt while the timing cover is off (the water pump runs off the timing belt). This way you only have to pay for the cost of the belt...the labor is covered.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Car: 2004 NB Convertible GLS

Get it done while they are in there. I am shocked you haven't had an issue with it. My water pump left us sitting on the side of a back road for a couple hours waiting for VW Roadside Assistance to give the tow driver the right location for us.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Bug Less

Car: 85 Cabriolet ~ 02 Accord

Yes get it Replaced with a NON plastic impeller type , MIne went out at 23K miles it was replaced under warranty with another stupid plastic pump
Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 AM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 Bella '06 Blue TDI Bug '13 white TDI

YES! The water pump on my '98 went out at 60K, we replaced the belt along with the pump.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValleyVDub
Right. Then tell them to replace the timing belt while the timing cover is off (the water pump runs off the timing belt). This way you only have to pay for the cost of the belt...the labor is covered.
Thanks, but the timing belt was already taken care of this past summer. I wanted to be proactive and I suggested they do the waterpump then but was told there was no need to.... Glad they said that since I got it for free! (On another note, they noticed I had an error for my cat..... long story short since they had done that this past summer under warranty and they didn't want to screw around again, I got another free one under warranty) Have I said I love my service department!?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Moderation in Moderation

Car: 2012 Yellow Rush Beetle 2.5 & 1970 VW Bug

Well add me to the list of water pump failures. Mine just went (57,000 miles on the bug 37,000 on the pump). Anyone want to help me swap it out?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowvay
Well add me to the list of water pump failures. Mine just went (57,000 miles on the bug 37,000 on the pump). Anyone want to help me swap it out?
I can offer to hold the flashlight or pass the wrench, that's about as close to an engine as you want me.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 PM

Car: 1999, plain jane

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult, how would ya'll rate doing the water pump and timing belt? And, are there any gotcha's?

I've been looking at the ECS kit for this project, and like all the work on my NB, I'd like to do it myself. But, every now and then, you just pay....

Thanks,

CaL
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 Bella '06 Blue TDI Bug '13 white TDI

my brother did most of the work on my '98 2.0, with proper tools including an impact wrench and good jack as well as a good set of instructions and previous experience working on vehicles, it isn't that bad. The AC condensor coil under the dash is far more involved and difficult.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaL
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult, how would ya'll rate doing the water pump and timing belt? And, are there any gotcha's?

I've been looking at the ECS kit for this project, and like all the work on my NB, I'd like to do it myself. But, every now and then, you just pay....

Thanks,

CaL

CaL I did mine and I would give it a seven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.