Engine removal question - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Default Engine removal question

I need to replace the engine in my beetle,The Hayes Manual says the engine comes out of the bottom of the car along with the transmission??? Can I split the engine and pull it out from the top. Is there a web site or FAQ that gives the procedure for removing the engine and a list of engines that will fit into a 1999 Beetle (2.0L). The Hayes manual has me jumping all over the book and I really don't trust the procedure.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Car: 2000 Cyber Green Beetle 2.0T

pull the 2 fenders and bumper as 1 pice. then pull the actual metal bumper and pull the engine and tranny as 1 pice out of the front. any MK4 Engine will fit in there even the VR6 it all depends on how handy you are with tools and stuff. if you want a direct Swap then you need to find an AEG motor so you can still use your ECU. if the motor has secondary air injection (SAI) which a 99 shouldnt but if it does you will need another motor with SAI

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Default engine removal

Thanks for the response and the pictures.

Since I already have everything off the engine I hate to go thru the extra step of takeing the whole fornt end off, although it sure looks easier to work on that way. I should have asked before I started the work. So I guess my questions is can I take "just" the engine out thru the top without the trans (automatic) The Hays book is telling me to take out the axles and drop the engine thru the bottom??

thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 AM

yea if your not going to take the front off then it has to go down....or seperate then pull motor through top
Old 04-09-2008, 03:35 AM
"Are you damaged"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbugman53
yea if your not going to take the front off then it has to go down....or seperate then pull motor through top
hey bugman, thanks for the pics, i too have a 99 that i may end up switching out the motor. i think it has a blown head gasket and i'm still battling with which route to take, you get into it and then find a cracked head or something like that. haven't had a vw since the air cooled days and picked up this 99 for a good price, it's just a toy right now but i would like to fix it right. any advice. i had coolant in the oil, drained it and started it just to hear it run, it actually sounds good, 117K. thanks again
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 AM

you oiled it before you started i hope haha....but pull the head which can be done on the car. replace the head gasket and see how she does
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
"Are you damaged"

Quote:
you oiled it before you started i hope haha....but pull the head which can be done on the car. replace the head gasket and see how she does
just what i needed after a tough day at work . . a good chuckle . . yeah i did put in some fresh oil . . i reread my post and it did sound like i skipped an important step. to pull the head . . is that fairly straightforward or should i just go ahead . . bite the bullet . . and get a bentley . .
Old 04-09-2008, 10:31 PM

well your going to need to know how to do a timing belt. You may as well do that since you have to take it off anyway. other then that it is 10 bolts i think that you need a special socket for.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
"Are you damaged"

Quote:
well your going to need to know how to do a timing belt. You may as well do that since you have to take it off anyway. other then that it is 10 bolts i think that you need a special socket for.

yeah, triple square socket . . new TTY head bolts . . gasket set . . belts . . new style water pump . . tensioner . . probably some other stuff . . what gets me in trouble is that i found a 60K motor for a grand . . decisions decisions . . anyway . . thanks again for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.