Coolant Temp. Sensor -- which one? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Coolant Temp. Sensor -- which one?

I'm trying to clear a p0117 code on my 99 2.0 NB, and I'm planning on replacing the coolant temp. sensor. I know there's a blue one and a green one -- how do I know which one my car needs? The Autozone people tell me the only way is to take out the sensor. Is there another way to find out?

Also, one of them is $7 and the other is $57. Have other people had the same experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

You want the green one. There are two different shapes of it though. I think my '99 2.0 took one that was square. But in '99 I believe there was a switch of the shape to a D shaped senssor but I'm not sure on that one.

But I got my sensor and a new o-ring (which you really should buy with it!) for $25 at the dealer. It wasn't a very hard thing to replace either. You just have to make sure you depressurize the coolant otherwise it will come pouring out when you do the sensor
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 04-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks for your help. If I take off the plastic engine cover, will I be able to see whether I need the blue or the green sensor?

Also: I should be able to get the o-ring at Autozone, yes?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
MINI & NB FOR LIFE!

Car: 2004 MINI Cooper S 2001 blue vortex 1.8t + 1971 vert + 68 bug & 71 & 78 buses

Is it in a different place on the 2.0 than the 1.8t? If not you don't have to take off the engine cover. I'll search for noR's very helpful pic. BRB
Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 PM
MINI & NB FOR LIFE!

Car: 2004 MINI Cooper S 2001 blue vortex 1.8t + 1971 vert + 68 bug & 71 & 78 buses

here's the pic
Name:  coolant_sensor.jpg
Views: 12232
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanks so much!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
MINI & NB FOR LIFE!

your welcome
Old 04-19-2008, 01:03 PM

I went to the Autozone yesterday, and they told me that there are three sensors available for a '99 2.0 Beetle. The sensor mine needed (the "C" sensor, which they determined was right for my car after looking at my car's VIN number) wasn't one that they had in stock, and it also wasn't one that they could order.

I'm not sure whether the "C" type sensor is the blue or the green one (though I don't suspect it's the green one, since that one seems readily available), and I'm also not sure where to get it. Ideally, I'd like to order/buy the sensor and the o-ring somewhere other than the dealer. Any suggestions as to where I might find these two parts? (I've already tried a few of the car parts sites, and none of them list a vehicle-specific sensor.)

Thank you.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM

Default changing the temp. coolant sensor -- 2 questions

I didn't think I'd run into trouble changing the coolant temp. sensor on my 99 2.0L NB, but I'm stuck.

First, I went to the dealer and bought a sensor. I gave them my car's registration so that they could give me the right sensor, and they gave me the green one. From what I can tell, though, they gave me the wrong sensor -- the one in my car is blue, and the terminals don't match. I have a "C" type engine. Does it sound like they gave me the wrong sensor?

Second, I'm having trouble getting the old sensor out. I unplug the electrical connector, but I can't get the sensor itself out of the pipe. How does it release? I tried to pull up or push down on the piece of plastic that holds it in place, but I'm not having any luck. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 AM
5/23/10 <3

The green one is the right one. Mine was blue before I replaced it and those are the ones that fail. You might have a different shaped connector. There is a square one and a D shaped one. I think I used the square one in my '99 but I don't exactly remember. I know that even when they took my VIN at the dealer, they gave me the wrong sensor the first time so just because they check the VIN doesn't mean you got the right stuff.

There should be a clip holding the sensor in place. Slide that off and the sensor should come out after that. Don't forget to undo the coolant top a little bit to de-pressurize it, otherwise you'll end up with coolant everywhere!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 AM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

If you are changing the sensor that is where all the water lines come together, there is a little black C shaped clamp that slides into a slot about 1/4" down from the top of the pipe that the sensor sit in.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:38 AM

Ah - so the clamp slides out (or pulls back) to release the sensor?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

yes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Car: 2001 New Beetle 2 litre
Default I'm planning on doing the same

I have a 01 new beetle, and want to change the coolant sensor (see my earlier thread about blinko mclighto) but don't know which one I should get.

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=396

or

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=351

how do I know which one will fit?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:38 PM

you look and see which one you have

blue one is square connector

black (superceded to green) has the d-shaped connector

fwiw, the dealer will replace faulty black sensors with a green one.. i think the recently put out a recall or something..
Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
5/23/10 <3

I haven't heard of an actual recall. I had to pay to replace mine. I think I ended up with the square connector (dealer gave me the wrong one at first...even though I gave them all the info on my car...). I know there was a switch in like 2000 or 2001 to the other connector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.