VW Beetle Forum banner

cooling fans

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  05yellowbeetle 
#1 ·
My cooling fans are not working. The fuses look good but they never turn on when car is warm. As long as I am moving it is fine but if I get into traffic it started getting warm. Is there some relay or sensor that is a known issue with turning the fans on?

#2 ·
Do they run when you have the air conditioner on? My '98 had the same issue, I tried replacing the temperature sensor in the cluster of hoses right by the block but that didn't fix it. I believe we also did the one in the radiator, but I'm not positive, because it was about 5-6 years ago. I later replaced both fans because they were getting noisy, that didn't fix it either. My fans worked with the AC on, so I just used the AC all the time, which isn't that hard to do when you live in South Florida.

#4 ·
I never found the cause, I tried 2 different sensors and the fans as well as the fuse panel on the top of the battery. I sold the car a few months ago, now I have an '05 with a warranty. I just ran the AC all the time, which was made for a mess and a parked car for a few days when the condenser went out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.