2000 beetle won't start/doesn't turn over... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 PM

Unhappy 2000 beetle won't start/doesn't turn over...

2000 vw beetle 2.0 manual, turn the key ,dash lights come on, all aux items come on, but the car will not turn over. Replaced the starter, it tested okay but was loud..the battery was tested okay,replaced the negative battery cable and cleaned and tighted the positive cable. The battery is sending 12.48 to the starter and you can hear the solenoid clicking. We have checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash. The relays under the dash, something clicks when you try to start it and somthing besides the solenoid clicks under the hood... I checked the clutch swithes, the normally closed one works (clutch pedal switch starter lock relay)it opens when the clutch pedal is depressed.
the clutch pedal position switch, normally open, does not react to the peddle movemnet at all. How do I test the addition relays that are in this circuit? Also could it be my key??? The steering column locks sometimes and sometimes doesn't...the door locks work somtimes sometimes don't.. The alarm will go off when I put my key in to start it sometimes,when it was starting, nothing now.

I have had this car a total of 3 months! I have had a gm gas hog for 7 years have done more work on this 3 month owned beetle.
Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 PM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick
Cool

Turn the ignition to the "ON" position. Do your power windows, turn signals and other accessories that operate with that key position function at all?

Alan
"Reality is just that surreal time between my dreams" - me
Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Default dead beetle...

yes, all the aux functions work...the battery was out of the car for 3 days and the radio did not lock out like the manuel said it would, could the theft warning system starter lock relay be the culpit and how do I test it? I am not sure which relay it is, under the dash,driver side is as far as I got.

Thanks for the help..
Cindy
Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 AM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick
Cool

Glad the aux functions operate. My thought was running to fried wires at the ignition switch. You may still have a fried wire to the starter wire spoke at the ignition switch (but you ARE getting clicking from the solenoid so I'm betting that this particular wire is o.k..

Once I purchased a "new" battery from my local auto supply store only to have it be defective after much angst and more $$$.

I don't have any more wild goose chases for you to embark on for now, but keep us posted on what you find out...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 AM

Default solenoid

I was wrong, the solenoid is not clicking, a relay in the engine compartment it clicking...
Old 06-21-2008, 05:18 PM

Default disconnected wires in the steering column!!

Thanks Margaritaville; got in there to check the ignition and there are wires disconnected in the steering column. An obvious sloppy repair. It is definitly a problem, I hope it is the problem!!
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Cindy
Old 06-21-2008, 07:46 PM

Thumbs up an ignition wire loose was the problem!!

It is fixed,someone had spliced into the ignition wiring and did not crimp both ends of the connector. When I moved the steering column I pulled one end out of the connector and the car would not start. When I tried to start it after the wires were repaired, the anti theft locked the ignition and the radio. After about 10 minutes it unlocked.no dealer visit was needed this time anyway. I think I will take it for a ride!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

Here's a look at Ladybug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.