VW Beetle Forum banner

cooling fans

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jc918t 
#1 ·
both of my cooling fans went on my 2000 2.0 beetle. the driver side one died the other has a crack on blade so it is making a racket. mechanic says that the blade can only be bought with motor. so 2 fans and motors will cost me $845. does that sound right about the fan and motor having to be bought together? thanks.

#2 ·
I just bought a new fan when my drivers side went out. Here's where I got it from. You can get both for $240.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/New%20Beetle/Cooling/85/1

Dealer was going to charge me $250 in labor and $300 for just the drivers side fan. My bf and dad changed out my drivers side fan in about 45 minutes. Only cost me $135. I'd say you are getting ripped off.

#4 ·
I didn't need one when mine quit. Just got that fan and put it in and worked fine from then on. That was 2 summers ago. Did he say you needed a motor? Or he told you that you had to buy both together? If the fan died, you very well just need a new fan. As long as the other is working, your fan control switch is still functioning and its probably just the fan, as it was with mine.

Any other orgers want to chime in?

#5 ·
the fan and motor is one piece, the ones posted above have the motor, that's why there is a wire coming out of them. I replaced mine with those from a wrecked beetle a few years ago. You can also buy the set on ebay (I have never bought from the seller that lists them on there) Or got to 1stvwparts.com, looks like it is about $425+ shipping. They are not that hard to replace.

#6 ·
Yeah I thought those had the motors in them but I didn't want to say without knowing for sure!

But that $900 is surely a ripoff for just replacing the two fans. Its a fairly easy DIY job. My bf and dad managed to change out my drivers side fan without taking the front end off. Just had to wiggle the fans very carefully to get them out! I would say taking the front bumper off would be a better way to go, as the Bently tells you to do that. Its just a little more time consuming. But not too hard.

#7 ·
i got an estimate from another mechanic and they want $900. 350 for labor,450 for the fans and 90 for diagnosis. i took out the chilton book and they make it sound so easy to replace the fans. i could buy the fans from that one website for about 250 but i don't know if i could actually make the repair! the area to work in is kind of small and tight in that engine compartment.

#8 ·
gator said:
i got an estimate from another mechanic and they want $900. 350 for labor,450 for the fans and 90 for diagnosis. i took out the chilton book and they make it sound so easy to replace the fans. i could buy the fans from that one website for about 250 but i don't know if i could actually make the repair! the area to work in is kind of small and tight in that engine compartment.
Pull your car up on some ramps, get a T27 torqx bit for a small 1/4" drive ratchet, and you can swap them out in 20 minutes. If you have belly pans, it may take another 5 minutes and a T25 Torqx driver... You can "wiggle" the fans out from the bottom... just make sure to unclip your cooling hoses so you can push them around a bit. Be careful not to get anything in your eyes.

I just paid $45 at a junk yard for a pair.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.