HELP!! Car alarm won't disarm! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 AM

Car: Bullwinkle, 2013 Toffee Brown TDI
Default HELP!! Car alarm won't disarm!

We don't have a working key TO disarm the alarm. So it hasn't been armed since we've had it. All of a sudden tonight, when hubby turned the key in the door to lock the car, it armed. And it won't unarm. He can get in the car, but obviously, can't start it.

Any ideas how to get around that, with few tools? He's stuck at work. We have all night as he just went in... but I really don't want to have to go get him and leave my car at his work at 7 am if I don't have to. I'd rather Herbie Jr be at home parked until we can get it fixed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

I believe 99s have the key hole in the hatch, try using the key in there and opening the hatch to see if that will turn off the alarm.

You could also try the key in the driver's door and turn it to the back (I think, you need it to "unlock") and hold it until the window goes down, then try the lock switches.

If those trick don't work and assuming you mean your key is the valet key, I think you need to go to a dealer and get a regular key cut.

The problem is actually the driver's door lock microswitch. My '98 loved to play the game, but since the '98s have the passenger key hole, it is easier to defeat the alarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05yellowbeetle View Post
I believe 99s have the key hole in the hatch, try using the key in there and opening the hatch to see if that will turn off the alarm.

You could also try the key in the driver's door and turn it to the back (I think, you need it to "unlock") and hold it until the window goes down, then try the lock switches.

If those trick don't work and assuming you mean your key is the valet key, I think you need to go to a dealer and get a regular key cut.

The problem is actually the driver's door lock microswitch. My '98 loved to play the game, but since the '98s have the passenger key hole, it is easier to defeat the alarm.
I'm not sure what he did, but it eventually disarmed last night. Our key isn't the valet key, we don't have one. Our key is the remote key... it just doesn't work. Neither does rolling the windows down using the key in the door. That door doesn't recognize that it's open when it is. My poor car wasn't treated very nicely before we got it, so there are some things we have to fix up. That... being one of them. And getting a new remote key eventually. Until this happened, it wasn't THAT big of a deal, cause I can still drive the car with it. LOL I'm just now afraid to lock my car again.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:26 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Its the microswitch, which is a common problem. That's the door sensor. Its a major pain in the butt. I never had problems where I couldn't disarm the alarm on my car, but I can see how that would happen.

Since you have the remote, does the unlock button work? How about the trunk? The remote was my friend when my switch died...I could quickly turn off the alarm going off when it armed itself again before I got the key in the ignition.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 PM

We're not sure if it's the remote... or the car that doesn't work. Pretty sure it's the remote though... since it came in two pieces, and is now superglued together. We haven't had the millions of dollars they want for a new key just yet... so we've been dealing with a crappy key since we got the car two months ago.

The switches on the door work to unlock the trunk, and I can turn the key in the trunk to open it... but the remote itself does nothing.

Oh! And I got in the car today to get kids from school... and heard the door ding. It's never done that before. LMAO And when I got out of the car later, it didn't do it again. *sighs*
Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

The microswitch in the car is what is keeping you from disarming the alarm. The remote could also very well be broken. As for opening the trunk with the remote, you have to hold the button down for a few second for it to open (took me a very long time to figure that out!). Microswitches are a common problem. I had my drivers side die, $450 bucks got it fixed at the dealer. Now my passenger side one is dead but I don't care so much about it as I don't use that door often and when I do, I can just open the drivers door and it keeps the alarm from re-arming itself. You learn little tricks to outsmart it.

If you get the car unlocked, just know that the car re-arms the alarm after 30 seconds of the door not being opened, which if the microswitch is dead, it may think the door is closed even though its opened. Just a handy hint
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 PM

Car: '99 GLS

I'm having the same issue with our 99 GLS.

Can I replace the microswitch? Any DIYs out there or How-To's?

Also, when we purchased the car, the remote was not provided... it was "lost". We only have the valet key. If I purchase a blank remote key and get it cut, will this help with the situation at all?

Stella is sitting in our driveway and my fiance has yet again needed to take my car and I'm left stranded at the mercy of public transit or sidewalks... No fun!
Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Car: 01 New Beetle 2.0 Gas Auto
Default Car Alarm & Keys.

You can get a blank key on ebay & take it to a dealer or a locksmith. Volkswagen recently had a class action lawsuit about having a monopoly on Key coding.
I don't know if the locksmith is much cheaper though.
I damaged one of my original remotes & had Three County VW in NJ replace & recode the car. It cost $150.00 total.
They used my actual key & put it into a new remote.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenaprils View Post
I'm having the same issue with our 99 GLS.

Can I replace the microswitch? Any DIYs out there or How-To's? ...
My '98 has the same issues, There was a DIY thread and it is probably archived; however I do have the paper work on the micro switch that is needed, I'll have to find it though. Unless you are good are removing and replacing switches on a circuit board, this task may prove difficult. After weighing the cost of the actual part $150 against my DIY skill for the labor required, I opted for the $150. Just replacing the actual part is a challenging task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.