Drive Cycle Needed for OBDII Malfunction - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Drive Cycle Needed for OBDII Malfunction

I today had my 1999 New Beetle 2.0 engine checked for California smog certification, A few days ago I think I corrected a cylinder 1 misfire and reset the CEL. The car today passed the emissions test, but failed the "functional check". I was told the OBDII monitors were unset (probably because of my erasing the error code) and I needed to perform a "drive cycle" which could "probably" be accomplished by driving the vehicle for five to seven days and a hundred or so miles. If not done correctly they will have to do the drive cycle and it will cost me $165!!

My question is does anyone know the "drive cycle" reset procedure for my vehicle. One article I read stated that the only source on this is published by Motor Manuals.
Also, if my cylinder number one misfire was not corrected, but the CEL light does not come on would it pass the smog check even if there was an error code reported?

Thanks in advance. :-)
- Really Bugged this time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2005, 08:34 AM
180 Degrees out of faze

Car: 98 TDI NB.

The problem is with all of the readiness codes not being set. When you cleared the CEL, you also reset the rediness codes. Some get set just by turning on the key and the computer doing a self test. Others require you to "drive" the car through a number of cycles. A cycle is starting out with a cold motor, and driving until it is warm. You must go at least 45 MPH in the cycle. Then let it cool down, and do it again, and again. Usually takes about a week of just normal driving.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:54 AM
What's in a title?

Car: 2001 GLS

Most NB codes reset after 3 cycles. I live in Clifornia so that takes me a bout 1 day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.