Yellow Oil Goo Under Oil Cap Suggestion - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM

Car: 2002 GLS 2.0
Default Yellow Oil Goo Under Oil Cap Suggestion

I've had the common condensation under the oil cap and surrounding area on my 2.0 Beetle since I've owned it.(2 years) Today I decided to check the hose connected to the valve cover that goes to the PCV valve in the intake plenum hose. TOTALLY FILLED WITH GOO! I recommend removing this hose assembly and cleaning it out. None of the Crankcase ventilation could have gotten into the intake plenum as designed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
big poster turned lurker.

Car: 03 Turbo S, 99 Cabrio, two 87 Audi 5000's

here's a question, do you do primarialy short trips, or mostly long trips?

the yellow goo is usally caused by condensation on the valve cover/oil cap that never fully evaporates because the oil never gets to full temperature long enough to get rid of the water. also replace the rubber seal under the oil cap. that also causes it if its dried out.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 AM

Car: 2003 NBC GLS 2.0 Tiptronic

HA! it is so weird that you brought this up because today I checked my oil and I had remembered hearing about people going on about foam on the oil cap, so i pulled it off and sure enough there was a little bit of it on the cap! it looked mostly like water and I can attribute that to the fact that my bug hasn't seen a highway journey until just this past week when i started commuting to school daily again...
Old 01-21-2009, 02:30 AM

Car: 2001 Silver Arrow GLX

our beetle is primarily driven highway for at least 20-30 mins each use, and we still got that yellow goo on the oil cap. it stopped coming back after I cleaned out the pcv system (that was clogged).

same thing happened on my friend's e36 328i that had a clogged pressure regulator
> '95 Nissan Concord Gray 240sx turbo (KA24DE-T)
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 AM

hmm maybe i will poke around in the pcv system and just make sure there aren't any blockages
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 AM
Who is John Galt?

Car: '06 TDI DSG; '02 2.0 auto

This is the only engine I've ever seen do this. Our '02 is driven mostly on the highway and the cap looks terrible on it. Not only yellow goo, if you wipe it off with a cloth, rusty crap comes with it.

I was *hoping* that a change of thermostat would fix it. The thinking was that the engine was never getting up to full operating temp and therefore never burning off the condensation.

So much for that theory.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip240 View Post
our beetle is primarily driven highway for at least 20-30 mins each use, and we still got that yellow goo on the oil cap. it stopped coming back after I cleaned out the pcv system (that was clogged).

same thing happened on my friend's e36 328i that had a clogged pressure regulator
My '98 and '99 still do it occasionally and I drive 28 miles one way, everyday; however my speed is usually 55 or less.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0L 5-spd Silver Arrow

I'm glad this was brought up b/c I have this problem too. I've changed the rubber seal on the oil fill cap and it hasn't helped...still getting the yellow goo.

I didn't think the gls 2.0 had a pcv valve and didn't consider going this route. Mine is a 1999. Maybe it's just my year/engine (AEG) that doesn't have a pcv system(although I'm not sure what other kind of ventilation system it would have). Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Becky
Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 PM

My driving is mixed. I don't believe driving style matters on this engine.
Actually on the 2.0 the system consists of a breather hose between the valve cover and the intake air boot. On the air boot you will see an electical connector. This is for the heating element to prevent icing during cold weather. It appears that this is also the PCV valve assy.My heating element/valve was covered in Grey Poupon!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cep View Post
This is the only engine I've ever seen do this. Our '02 is driven mostly on the highway and the cap looks terrible on it. Not only yellow goo, if you wipe it off with a cloth, rusty crap comes with it.

I was *hoping* that a change of thermostat would fix it. The thinking was that the engine was never getting up to full operating temp and therefore never burning off the condensation.

So much for that theory.
I'm not sure why I wrote 'so much for that theory.'

I checked the oil tonight; it has been about 1000 miles since the new thermostat and guess what?

The goo is gone.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 AM

excllent to hear that cep. I think my thermostat is on the crap and might be causing my yellow goo issue as well
Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 AM

interesting, but did you have good heat in the cabin prior to the thermostat change? My heat pumps out very well so I think my engine temp is quite normal.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:11 AM
Who is John Galt?

Yes, we never had any complaints with the amount of heat in the cabin. The whole thermostat thing was set in motion by a 'cooling system problem' code (P1296 in OBII language). But other symptoms were pointing to an engine running colder than normal--the goo on the oil filler cap, oil that had a smell of gasoline, and poor mileage. If the engine doesn't get warm enough, the condensation never gets cooked out of the oil, hence the goo. If the engine never gets warm enough, the computer richens the mixture, hence the poor mileage and gas in the oil.

The thermostat seems to have fixed two out of three. The goo is gone and the oil no longer smells of gas, but the mileage is still lousy. Maybe a little better, but not good, 23mpg or so. But it had done as poorly as 16 mpg on one tank that I checked.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Bug me again!

Car: 2012 Turbo, RED of course!

For the mileage I'd look at the MAF and the pre-cat O2 sensor. That's assuming you've changed the fuel filter already.
Here's a look at Ladybug
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Wow.....This goo thing is unbelieveable.The past few days I've put 150 miles of mostly highway driving since I completely cleaned hoses and valve cover area. Temps have been in the teens.
I pulled hoses off to check today... GOO is starting to grow in hoses all over again! Valve cover area under oil cap saturated in moisture.
This is while using Synthetic oil so the theory that Synthetic stops the goo is not true.
Very strange indeed. Car run flawlessly with mileage around 25.
Just plain wierd.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0
Default More Gooooo

Happened to pull off my oil filler cap yesterday and noticed the yellow goo and thought it might be something serious. When I pulled up the forum and saw all you guys w/the same problem I was relieved. This car does go on some short jaunts and it has been really cold here lately, which could account for my yellow gunk. And I, like cep, got the rusty color when wiping down the breather cap. (By the way, I am using synthetic oil.)
Old 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Default I have the goo & gas in oil

I checked my oil, it looked like chocolate milk & smelled like gas. Car runs good, has not been getting the milage it was getting. Think a thermostat or temp. sensor would cause this?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM

Car: 2001 Silver Arrow GLX

that is not normal, gas in your crankcase is most likely a non-operational PCV system which allows combustion gases to recirculate back into the intake to be burned. If they cannot be recirculated, they turn back into a liquid and mix with your oil diluting it and playing extreme havoc with your engine bearings.

if you noticed drivability issues, it could be leaky injector(s) but that might cause startup issues also.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO

Car: 2004 Ford Focus ZX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechaser View Post
I checked my oil, it looked like chocolate milk & smelled like gas. Car runs good, has not been getting the milage it was getting. Think a thermostat or temp. sensor would cause this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip240 View Post
that is not normal, gas in your crankcase is most likely a non-operational PCV system which allows combustion gases to recirculate back into the intake to be burned. If they cannot be recirculated, they turn back into a liquid and mix with your oil diluting it and playing extreme havoc with your engine bearings.

if you noticed drivability issues, it could be leaky injector(s) but that might cause startup issues also.
These really should be in a different thread....

Also, to the people with the goo under the oil caps: I was always told that goo under the oil cap means headgasket work. Does that not apply here?

2004 Ford Focus ZX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
Drive more, worry less.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechaser View Post
The T-stat or temp sensor could cause the gas smell, but the chocolate milk look, in my experience is water, usually coolant.

Are you losing coolant? How many miles/months on this oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.