Power Steering Fluid - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 AM

Car: 2005 2.0L Beetle Hard Top
Default Power Steering Fluid

What are all ya using for power steering fluid? I took the cap off mine tonight and smelled just like brake fluid inside of it. It's working fine but was just wondering what type of fluid is should have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 AM
Super smart senior member

Car: 99 Beetle GL, Cyber green. Soon to be Black/Grey

Its usually the same thing but im not 100% sure.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebluths.org View Post
Its usually the same thing but im not 100% sure.
No no no NO! Power steering fluid IS NOT brake fluid!

You need this...regular power steering fluid that you buy at an auto parts store will not work:
PENTOSIN Power Steering Fluid CHF 11S (Compatible w/ VW / Audi G00-400-0M2 / G004000M2)
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:43 AM

well sure smells like brake fluid to me. I'll syfein it out and get some of the correct fluid in there. Thanks for the responce.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM

Canada

I didn't find anything in the owner's manual and my Haynes book just says "VW hydraulic fluid". Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be picking up a can and replacing the fluid (likely 10 year old sludge).
Old 05-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratmike View Post
well sure smells like brake fluid to me. I'll syfein it out and get some of the correct fluid in there. Thanks for the responce.
Please tell me you didn't actually put brake fluid in there!

And just so we are clear...you are checking the power steering reservoir with the green cap that is attached to the battery box correct?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
Please tell me you didn't actually put brake fluid in there!

And just so we are clear...you are checking the power steering reservoir with the green cap that is attached to the battery box correct?

Yes green cap resevoir next to the battery box.
Someone else that owned the car before me must have put brake fluid in the power steering resevoir. I swear it smells and looks just like brake fluid. I have the correct power steering fluid on order and will suck out all the old stuff and use the correct fluid. No problems as of yet. The power steering still works great.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 AM

Car: 1998 GLS Cyber Green Beetle

Just a note: I brough mine into a VW Dealership and they filled my power steering fluid back up for FREE. Yipee VW and cute mechanic guys!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Super smart senior member

Car: 99 Beetle GL, Cyber green. Soon to be Black/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
No no no NO! Power steering fluid IS NOT brake fluid!

You need this...regular power steering fluid that you buy at an auto parts store will not work:
PENTOSIN Power Steering Fluid CHF 11S (Compatible w/ VW / Audi G00-400-0M2 / G004000M2)
Ive never refilled it on my beetle but on my other 2 cars they use brake fluid in the master cylinder.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Car: manual y2k gls 2.0
Default Curious

Ok, so what if in reading this you KNOW someone DID put brake fluid in there? (No, it wasn't me, but a friend was trying to be helpful when he did my brakes).
Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 AM

I was able to suck the fluid out with a manual oil pump that I have. It got most of the brake fluid out of the resevore
Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Genuine VW/Audi power steer fluid reads, "Oil For Hydraulic Systems And Power Assisted Steering G 002 000.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Thanks, I am aware of VW/Audi fluid, that is what was used, but I was hoping someone might know what the repercussion might be as I know that it did get mixed by someone with good intentions.

Well, that ounce or two of brake fluid will have to stay in my power steering for another couple weeks until I have more money to have that taken care of, hope there won't be more serious problems. I just spent $300 on the cv boot a couple days ago (and a couple weeks before that the brakes, that's when the fluid was added). My 27 point inspection mentioned needing to do $200 worth of something else with a gasket and something with fluids for trans/power steering (don't recall the exact wording on that pre-printed form). Need the 75k oil done too, NOW, but that will be done then, I'll just drive with a heavier foot since I know I'll "use" oil and then add more fresh until then.

Last edited by Benny Beetle; 09-18-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Old 09-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Beetle View Post
Thanks, I am aware of VW/Audi fluid, that is what was used, but I was hoping someone might know what the repercussion might be as I know that it did get mixed by someone with good intentions.

Well, that ounce or two of brake fluid will have to stay in my power steering for another couple weeks until I have more money to have that taken care of, hope there won't be more serious problems. I just spent $300 on the cv boot a couple days ago (and a couple weeks before that the brakes, that's when the fluid was added). My 27 point inspection mentioned needing to do $200 worth of something else with a gasket and something with fluids for trans/power steering (don't recall the exact wording on that pre-printed form). Need the 75k oil done too, NOW, but that will be done then, I'll just drive with a heavier foot since I know I'll "use" oil and then add more fresh until then.
If you're not having any issues with your power steering pump I wouldn't worry about the remaining brake fluid in it. The main issue is that you now have the correct fluid in. Their is no time table on power steering pump failure so just keep driving it until it fails. Maybe never!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2112 View Post
If you're not having any issues with your power steering pump I wouldn't worry about the remaining brake fluid in it. The main issue is that you now have the correct fluid in. Their is no time table on power steering pump failure so just keep driving it until it fails. Maybe never!
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. (actually, the brake/power steering fluid are still both in there, have been for a few weeks and will be there for a couple weeks more, until I can get it serviced again).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.