Has Anyone Here Ever Replaced the CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor??? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Car: 2000 VW Beetle 2.0L (AEG)
Default Has Anyone Here Ever Replaced the CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor???

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

I have a 2000 Beetle 2.0L and would like to know exactly where it's located and how difficult it is to replace? Can this be done without bringing it to a dealer?

Please Help!
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Do you mean the tranny speed sensor?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM

I mean the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's located just under the oil sender on the bottom front of the engine.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:18 PM

Hi Everyone... I've been searching all kinds of Beetle sites on the internet with no luck as to what it takes to remove the crankshaft sensor on a 2000 Beetle 2.0L gas engine. I have located it but HAVE NO IDEA ON HOW TO GET TO IT so I can replace it with a new one. It seems impossible to access it. Is there some sort of special technique or tool needed? Can this repair be done at home or do I need to bring it to a mechanic to replace it?

Any help would be appreciated, I am definitely starting to lose it!
David
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Delightfully Tacky

Car: 1997 GTi VR6

this info was taken from the vortex archives

Crankshaft position/speed sensor is an induction coil that goes into a hole in the side of the block and monitors a notch or bump on the crank for crankshaft position. It is held in by one small bolt....unfortunately, you have to pull the front motor mount bracket so you need to pull starter motor mount etc. to get it out of the block. Not a 5min job, but doable for anyone who knows his/her way around a basic tool box. Need to support engine while the front mount is off...other than than straight forward hour or so...$200 (after taxes) not bad pay for an hour on a Saturday morn I'd say.

good luck...it was found in the 2.0 engine forum and should be right..i'll dig up my books and double check it later but that sounds legit..what makes you sure that its that sensor? from reading on the tex it looked like some other things could cause that code to be thrown as well...might be worth it to pick up a bentley manual or haynes manual(cheaper, more pictures, easier to obtain)

if you were local i'd do it for you.

1997 GTi VR6..its cliche

http://rustisnotacrime.com
Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 AM

Thanks Jim, now I understand the problem with getting to it. Thanks so much for replying with all that info, I really appreciate your efforts! Before I go replacing anything... probably should test it with a volt meter? From what I've been reading and the info I've been gathering that was the next part I wanted to replace. I can't believe the placement behind that part?

The problem is my car starts fine and runs fine for about 20 minutes, then it just shuts off with no warning and I coast to a safe place off the road. Within a half hour or so, the car starts fine until the same thing happens again. Crankshaft Sensor sounded like it could be failing giving a false reading to the ECU.

Any thoughts?

David
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 AM
overwhelmed/underpaid

Car: a project jetta in a state of (dis)repair

should throw off a cel if it is in fact bad. another problem could be a clogged cat.

you haven't told us if you've isolated the problem via an obd2-compatible scanner. you're fairly local to me (2 hours away), i'd do it for $20 and a #2 no ranch at arby's if the cps is the issue.

2.0S jetta glx-i...13.765@105.6
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM

I appreciate the offer but my car could only make it minutes at a time (2 hrs would be a day and a half ) I'll need to obtain a scanner... do most of the standard scanners work well on a VW Beetle????

David
Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 AM

You probably won't believe this but I was able to remove the crankshaft sensor WITHOUT removing anything else. It helps to be as flexible as Gumby... only took a few days and a little pain. Anyways, thank you all for your input... I really appreciate the help and enthusiasm.

That was exactly what the problem was and it's running beautiful once again.

You guys saved me a lot of aggravation as well as a lot of money!

Thanks so much,
David
Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Who is John Galt?

Car: '06 TDI DSG; '02 2.0 auto

Did you happen to take any pictures? A step by step how-to would, I'm sure, be appreciated by many.

"Drive less, worry more. It's cheaper."

Last edited by cep; 10-15-2009 at 01:55 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:49 PM

Default 1.8 T with same problem

hey my car has the same problem. it shuts off after idling for 21 min or so. I've located the crankshaft sensor and removed the nut, but can't manage to pull it out. It turns in its socket easily enough. Is there a trick to it?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Car: 1998 NB, 2005 Mini cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherpronoun View Post
hey my car has the same problem. it shuts off after idling for 21 min or so. I've located the crankshaft sensor and removed the nut, but can't manage to pull it out. It turns in its socket easily enough. Is there a trick to it?
Yeah, that's the trouble with replacing this little bugger. Although there's limited space to work (and that's being generous) you've got to find a pair of pliers to grab hold of it and pull it out. No trick other than that.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 AM

thanks for the advice. i will give it another go
Old 09-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Default which brand sensor to purchase

hey everyone, we managed to pull out the sensor. it wasn't too hard to get my hand up there when we put the car up on jack stands. it was wet inside and the contact point was covered in grime. we are looking to buy a replacement but notice a big price discrepancy between brands ($8 to $110). i'm inclined to buy the cheap one by the brand "Replacement". does anyone here have an opinion on this? the links to the two parts are below.

1998-2001 Volkswagen Beetle Crankshaft Position Sensor - Replacement

1998-2001 Volkswagen Beetle Crankshaft Position Sensor - Standard
Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 AM

Default crankshaft position sensor......

hey all, i have a 99 beetle.. with the same problem..
i took the codes and according to the book it says my cam sensor is malfunctioning... but you all say that its the crank sensor... my car will run for about five minutes or so and then just stop and wont start for a half hour or so.. which is exactly how you desribed your problem.. hmmm
well im going with you all especially since its much easier to change. thanks this car has many other problems as well ill check back daily here to see if anyone gets on here again or just email me at borntwown@aol.com if anyone knows about these cars ... i would appreciate any help i can get..
thanks so much kevin
Old 10-26-2010, 05:59 AM

hey kevin

i've read that the code that often comes up is the camshaft sensor code, when the part thats acutally not working is the crankshaft sensor. i think my car was giving the same cam code as yours. i bought my cranshaft sensor discounted online for $7. i'd recommend trying it, escpecially since the part can be found for so cheap.

good luck!
elisabeth
Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 AM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Car: 2002 Blk TS

After reading this thread, I think Moe have the same issue.
Just where is the crankshaft sensor located?
I've heard that it's under the oil filter, hidden under the timing belt cover, next to a pulley
Can someone please tell me exactly where it's located on a 2.0...
Thanks
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Car: silver '00 1.8 l turbo
Default 1.8 crank sensor

just removed mine and its located need the base of the oil dip tube near the oil filter.it was a little struggle removing but can be done waiting for replacement sensor
Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 PM

Car: silver '00 1.8 l turbo
Default no change

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepino68 View Post
just removed mine and its located need the base of the oil dip tube near the oil filter.it was a little struggle removing but can be done waiting for replacement sensor
replaced the sensor i was hoping it would run better but no change.car still stumbles,surges,and stalls,at not on a routine basis.it does it at idle or at a stop light.weird and scary any other suggestions
Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 AM

i'm not an expert by any means, but this what i would check

i would check to make sure your battery connections are all tight and free of corrosion

your fuel pump might be giving out. with my car it seemed like an electrical problem because it was so quiet. if the car is studdering that sounds mechanical to me. you can try changing the fuel filter. it its clogged that could be taxing the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.