My Interior Door Handle Broke, Help - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 AM

Car: 2005 2.0L Beetle Hard Top
Default My Interior Door Handle Broke, Help

I have a 2.0L 2004 New Beetle hardtop. Today while getting in my car and reaching for the door handle to close the door, well it broke. The plastic broke right up near the upper part of the screw. Anyone know where I could get a replacement interior door handle (gray in color). I couldn't locate anything online. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Super smart senior member

Car: 99 Beetle GL, Cyber green. Soon to be Black/Grey

Is it the door handle that opens the door or the handle bar that closes it?

If its the one that closes the door then you can buy a whole assembly from ebay for like 10 bucks.

if its the handlebar unfortunately you will have to find someone to take it off and epoxy it back on. Its a common problem and even happened to me a month or so ago.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebluths.org View Post
Is it the door handle that opens the door or the handle bar that closes it?

If its the one that closes the door then you can buy a whole assembly from ebay for like 10 bucks.

if its the handlebar unfortunately you will have to find someone to take it off and epoxy it back on. Its a common problem and even happened to me a month or so ago.
It's the handle you grab that's screwed to the door panel. Two screws hold it into place and then theres a cover that snaps onto it.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratmike View Post
It's the handle you grab that's screwed to the door panel. Two screws hold it into place and then theres a cover that snaps onto it.
Yup that's the one, your going to have to take the door panel off (easy as pie) and epoxy the hell out of the brackets to get them working again.

Same exact thing happened to me

It sucks but is fixable.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:21 PM

so no one has this part online. Is it only a dealer item?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:53 AM

nothing found on this pull handle for my door on ebay. Also couldn't locate a replacement handle anywhere online. I guess I'm the only one that has ever broke this door pull handle.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:43 AM

could always just get a good old drawer handle from home depot.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratmike View Post
nothing found on this pull handle for my door on ebay. Also couldn't locate a replacement handle anywhere online. I guess I'm the only one that has ever broke this door pull handle.
I don't know if you read my posts but It isn't a replaceable part, and no your not the only one to have had it happen, it happened to me a few weeks ago
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 AM

Default Re: My Interior Door Handle Broke, Help

The plastic door handle will really hurt your pocket because of its low quality. I suggest go for a broader search if you really want to find a cheap and a good quality handles.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM

Default fix for interior door handle

you need to grind down the broken off door handle and purchase door handles for a tj jeep (pics shown). Also need to purchase longer screws and a washer to hold the handle on.
Attached Images/Files

Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Another low quality part....VWs are filled with such kind of low quality plastic parts.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

As are many other cars...I test drove a brand new Focus last fall and man, that car just looked and felt so cheap on the inside. I could see 20 different pieces that I could see breaking due to poor quality plastics.

As for the Jeep handle fix...it needs to be done much better. You can see so much of the cut away plastic that it really makes it look bad IMO.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
As are many other cars...I test drove a brand new Focus last fall and man, that car just looked and felt so cheap on the inside. I could see 20 different pieces that I could see breaking due to poor quality plastics.

As for the Jeep handle fix...it needs to be done much better. You can see so much of the cut away plastic that it really makes it look bad IMO.

Focus...It's probably the worst model designed by Ford. I hate plastic...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 AM
squirreljuice

Car: 2002 Black New Beetle Sport "Mr. Bug"

My passenger handle broke as well. I haven't found anything either. I'm thinking about trying to get one from a junk yard.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM

The door handles on both doors have broken on my daughter's 2001 Beetle, but about a year apart.

For the passenger I drilled holes and used zip ties and got a solid fix.

The driver's broke recently and after trying to duplicate what I did on the passenger's, it was still a bit loose. I couldn't get a good angle on the top rear portion, which left the top crack noticeable and a not so solid feeling.

I opted to try another users chain from bolt to bolt fix that I saw here in the forums, but with strapping wire instead. I thought getting the chain exactly right-sized to make a snug hangle might pose more of a challenge than needed.

This isn't a pretty fix, but with the handle cover, the ugliness is completely hidden.

I started by wrapping the strapping wire around the bolt tightly and made 2 of these with about 10 inches extra (ignore shadow of the wire):

Then I took a soldering iron and melted a valley for the wires to lay in.

Then I used pliers to twist each end together until I got a real tight snug secure handle.

Then I forced the twisted ends back into the holes so it they wouldn't block the handle cover/top from going back in.

I also had to melt a groove in the handle cover/top that slid into where the bolt holes are.

Yes, this is ghetto. But it's hidden completely by the cover.

Yes, you lose the 3 clips that hold the handle cover but 2 of my 3 broke when I removed it for the first time. AND the cover stays put just fine by friction and I think there are a couple tabs too that keep it in place.

Yes, it weakens the plastic, but the handle is already broken.

The only way I see the see to fix this the right way is to replace the whole door panel since the handle is part of the panel. The panel is $500. I'll settle for my ugly ghetto fix that's hidden.

But if anyone is a fabricator, it seems to me there is a gold mine here, since both mine broke. One could fabricate a bolt to bolt fix with cut outs for the handle clips.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Default Door Handle Solution

Just recently had my driver side grab bar broke, my passenger side was already broken. Since it wasn't the driver side it did'nt bother me. Now I'm forced to get them both repaired. While looking at all DIY's on here, and some googling some others I came across this on ebay. A great clean and what looks to be a reliable solution. A metal pull replacement for both handles and it comes in multiple customizations. I think I will invest, but I wanted to share with everybody on here.

here's the link
VW Beetle Interior Door Handle | eBay

Attached Images/Files

Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 AM

Panama Rep. of Panama, Central America, Panama
Car: VW Jetta MK4 1.8T

Hey Guys,

I fix my door handle cheaper than the ones on ebay! I got the Beetlebrace for $29.00 from www.dieselgeek.com

They also have other door handle models to fix the problem.

Check: New Beetle Broken Door Handle Fixes

You can write to Jim Royston (jim@dieselgeek.com),(sales@dieselgeek.com) or call him at: (210)852-4819

Cheers,

Isaac

Last edited by Turbo_Boss; 11-14-2013 at 02:22 AM..
Old 11-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

Dieselgeek/Jim is AWESOME! He fixed mine and several others Bugs door handles at Roswell this past June. In fact, Daisy (my bug) is a "model" on his website for the beetle brace.
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 AM

Panama Rep. of Panama, Central America, Panama
Car: VW Jetta MK4 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori Bug View Post
Dieselgeek/Jim is AWESOME! He fixed mine and several others Bugs door handles at Roswell this past June. In fact, Daisy (my bug) is a "model" on his website for the beetle brace.
Hey Cori Bug, nice to hear your car is a model! You need to collect some royalties for each beetle brace he sell!

Jim is a nice guy with a excellent customer service. Every time I e-mail him, he reply ASAP. I also purchase from him a deluxe 1.8T timing belt kit for my engine.

Cheers,

Isaac
Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM

Car: 2003 convertible

Go for it, I did and love them. Super solid and give the door a super cool look in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buglife View Post
Just recently had my driver side grab bar broke, my passenger side was already broken. Since it wasn't the driver side it did'nt bother me. Now I'm forced to get them both repaired. While looking at all DIY's on here, and some googling some others I came across this on ebay. A great clean and what looks to be a reliable solution. A metal pull replacement for both handles and it comes in multiple customizations. I think I will invest, but I wanted to share with everybody on here.

here's the link
VW Beetle Interior Door Handle | eBay

Attached Images/Files

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.