Where can I find a warning light diagram? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 AM

Car: 2005 beetle GL 2.0
Default Where can I find a warning light diagram?

I had a light come on tonight that looked like a beetle from head on and a gigantic screw on the right side of it.
It was also 32 degrees out so that could have played a role cuz it went away after about five minutes after the engine warmed up.
Anyway if anyone has a diagram they can post cuz I cant find one anywhere.
My beetle didn't come with a manual so I will be ordering one off ebay soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Super smart senior member

Car: 99 Beetle GL, Cyber green. Soon to be Black/Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpapagech View Post
I had a light come on tonight that looked like a beetle from head on and a gigantic screw on the right side of it.
It was also 32 degrees out so that could have played a role cuz it went away after about five minutes after the engine warmed up.
Anyway if anyone has a diagram they can post cuz I cant find one anywhere.
My beetle didn't come with a manual so I will be ordering one off ebay soon.
Hah I would love to see this one because I never knew there was such a light.

What color was it? Blue?

AFAIK these are the only lights in the dash.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:41 PM

I cracked open my manual and took the liberty of scanning the page on warning lights and still dont see what you were looking at.

Can you tell where it was on the speedometer?

Here is the diagram.

Attached Images/Files

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Car: 2002 2.0 GLS..... Silver

Oh man...... that could be the dreaded "Your Screwed Light"
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

bluths, you have a '99. The car in question is a 2005 so it likely could have some other warning lights.

I've heard of this one popping up before but I don't remember what its for. Hopefully someone with a newer bug can chime in.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 PM

Default Identical Problem

My wife had the exact same thing happen this afternoon. 2005 Beetle Convertible.

She left work and this new light came on. She drove all the way home, parked and called me. Now it won't come back on. It's on the right side ofthe dash, just below the seatbelt light. It does not light up when you turn on the key.

I called both of the local dealerships here and they both acted like i was crazy.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

"Fuel filler cap not closed properly - turn off the engine and close the cap properly. Once the cap is properly closed all the way, the warning light will go out when the ignition is turned on again andf the check cycle is complete. The completion of the check cycle depends on how you drive. If the warning light has been on for at least 5 minutes it will go out only when the ignition is turned off and on again." - 2005 owner's manual

This light is directly below the seatbelt light on the right.
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:53 AM

Hello

In the savethebluths.org's post you can see the yellow car shaped light with a little key on the rear tyre. What this light says? Thank you.

Last edited by rubenovich; 12-29-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Thumbs up Here's your answer!

From my '05 NBC Owners Manual. Section 3.1, Page 15

11 - Electronic Immobilizer

When the ignition is switched on an automatic key data test takes place. This data test is confirmed when the warning light illuminates and then turns off after about 2 seconds. If a non-authorized key is used the warning light will blink continuosly... The engine will not start. See also page 97.

Page 97

Electronic immobilizer

The immobilizer prevents unauthorized persons from using your vehicle.
A microchip is located in the head of the key which automatically deactivates the immobilizer when the key is inserted in the ignition lock.
The system is automatically activated when the ignition is switched off.
Note
The engine can thus only be started with a correctly coded genuine Volkswagen key.
Trouble free operation of your vehicle can only be guaranteed when using Volkswagen keys.

Why do people own cars and not have an Owners Manual. Everyone of mine has its, in the glovebox? I don't get it!

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Member Sponsor

Thumbs up Thanks for the en "light" enment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdaddy View Post
Oh man...... that could be the dreaded "Your Screwed Light"
Love It! Thanks for the en "light" enment!

C'mon ppl get an OM! They are all over eBay, being sold by the guy that didn't bother putting it back in yours when he traded the car. For the price of an oil change, or less. And just as important!

MORAV
Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Sry.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenovich View Post
Sry.
For what? Nothing to be sorry for! This is what the Forum is for! Just so many answers in an OM, and I wasn't chastizing you individually! I just see these type of questions all the time. If your on the road and get a warning light that you can't identify, or know what the warning is, you can't necessarily jump on the Org and get an immediate response. Personally, I have had to pull over and check the manual for a warning light coming on, on a number of occasions. Just to be safe.

And I don't feel my answer solved your problem only identified what the warning light is identifying. When is this occuring? Is it on going? Could indicate a potential problem with the key or sensor. May be working now, but when it goes out, you're stuck!

MORAV
Old 12-30-2010, 04:34 AM

Yes, you are right. The knowing itself didn't solve my problem. My engine doesn't run because of this immo problem, but I know now where to start fixing this, thanks to you. I'd buy the manual as soon as possible.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Car: 2006
Default Warning light with a screw in it

Yea I have a 2006 'new beetle' and I also don't have a manual. I've only had the car for about 2 weeks, and today when I was driving home from work I noticed an orangish/yellow warning light come on that was a SIDE profile of a beetle, and it had a screw going into the backside of the icon, near where the spoiler or hatch would be.

So I jumped on here and was doing some digging and one thread said it was the gas cap not being on all the way, as well as this thread. So I went outside, turned the car back on, and then the light wasn't on (but I hadn't tampered with the gas cap yet.) So I went over and tightened the gas cap, but it was already on all the way. So who knows. I guess mine is the side profile of a beetle rather than a frontal profile b/c its a newer model than yours?

Does anyone have anything conclusive on this light?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dexil View Post
Yea I have a 2006 'new beetle' and I also don't have a manual. I've only had the car for about 2 weeks, and today when I was driving home from work I noticed an orangish/yellow warning light come on that was a SIDE profile of a beetle, and it had a screw going into the backside of the icon, near where the spoiler or hatch would be.

So I jumped on here and was doing some digging and one thread said it was the gas cap not being on all the way, as well as this thread. So I went outside, turned the car back on, and then the light wasn't on (but I hadn't tampered with the gas cap yet.) So I went over and tightened the gas cap, but it was already on all the way. So who knows. I guess mine is the side profile of a beetle rather than a frontal profile b/c its a newer model than yours?

Does anyone have anything conclusive on this light?
My NBC and my OM are '05, At first view that was what I thought the warning icon on mine looked like. Closer observation, it is a rear view, and I'm betting that's what you saw. I'm not sure how you would check it, as it will continue to click and turn, unless I'm mixing up my vehicles. I'm sure that is what your warning was. Just be attentive that you always twist it till it clicks, and then if it happens again, or repeatedly you will know that there is a sensor issue or something. I'm not sure, however, how it is sensored, I want to think it must be a pressure sensor in the tank. Perhaps someone can enlighten us all in that regard. How it is sensored will indicate if it is something that needs to be addressed immediately or not.

Here is a thread I put up days ago, for searching for an OM on eBay. I have been seeing '06 OMs their for around $30 (for some reason all the sellers want more for the NBCs than the NBs). OMs are only year AND hardtop OR convertible specific. Make sure you buy one that is complete and with case, if you buy one.
Needing an Owners, Parts or Service Manual?

Good luck!

MORAV

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 01-03-2011 at 11:52 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Member Sponsor

Exclamation Here's a link to "Help with Warning / Indictor Lights!"

I started a thread, properly tagged, for future searches, with a downloadable/printable .pdf attachment that shows the array of warning and indicator lights that might pop up on your dash. It is a later version than what was posted earlier up THIS thread.

Go here
Help with Warning / Indicator lights!

MORAV
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 PM

Car: 2006

thanks i appreciate all your help. i had it briefly looked at and they said it could be a sensor, so they reset everything and said if it come on again they'll check out the seal and sensor for me
Old 01-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dexil View Post
thanks i appreciate all your help. i had it briefly looked at and they said it could be a sensor, so they reset everything and said if it come on again they'll check out the seal and sensor for me
You know its funny that this thread popped up again, my wife called me a few days ago and said a light on our passat came on that looked like a car with a "giant screw in it"

heh, it was the gas cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.