VW Beetle Forum banner

2.0l front wheel drive to 4wheel drive???

18K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  e-merlin 
#1 ·
is it possible/is there a kit to convert my 99 beetle into a 4 wheel drive machine (like the rsi, only not as cool)

#2 ·
Depends on your definition of "possible." How much money do you have?

The only way to get an all wheel drive Beetle in the states (legally) is to contact HPA and have them graft the Beetle body onto an Audi TT chassis. You're looking at a cost north of 25 grand, plus the cost of your original Beetle.

#3 ·
i've done the research, allow me:

i had a 2004 jetta that was rear-ended in an accident, necessitating replacement of the floorpan and everything aft of the rear doors (including quarter panels). to replace as-is was $9600.

now, here's the differences in cost between that repair and repairing to stock:

floorpan: stock is like $450, ttq/r32 was $590.
rear beam: stock is under $500, ttq/r32 uses a subframe, which coupled with drivetrain (rear axle) is north of $1500.
fuel tank: stock is under $400, ttq/r32 was about the same.
suspension: stock springs and shocks are $400, ttq/r32 stuff was north of $700.

to graft in the floorpan is 20 hours of labor (for either), meaning that even at insurance rates ($50/hr), it's a $1000 job just in labor.

to replace the fuel tank is also more expensive on the tt, another hour or so of labor over stock (which is 2.5 i think).

you haven't even factored in other ancillaries such as exhaust, the transmission (duh), front axles (they are different), clutch (also different), starter (different), wiring (the ttq uses a totally different body harness), as well any hardware which is one-time use and such.

part prices for used stuff:

transmission: $650 for a 5-speed, $1250 for the 6.
axles: $75 each x 4 corners.
starter: $75.
rear subframe/drivetrain with driveshaft: $1200-$2000.
body harness: $300-$500.

new stuff:

clutch/flywheel: $600.
hardware: $300.

i'll put it this way: if your car has been smashed in the ass, then the body shop is possibly replacing the rear pan anyways. if that's the case, then it's a feasible repair option as the labor and parts isn't much more (to get the pan and tank in). you could also run the subframe with no drivetrain in the back as well, just get some outer cv's for the bearings so they don't get chewed up. audi guys do this when they're in rwd mode with the front bearings.

like i said, i did the research, and the best option was finding a wrecked tt225q (which is still $5k) for all the major parts besides the pan. you NEED a new pan because there is no real way to salvage the rear pan on a ttq, because once it's cut, it's cut. besides, i don't know of a body shop that gets in the habit of installing a used pan, which could have flexed over time.

also, my jetta was a 2.0, and with the extra 300 pounds of gear, it would have been bordering on unsafe for today's roads in terms of acceleration. i would have to at least supercharge it to maintain factory performance.

you could also use r32 parts as well, such as the subframe, all 4 axles, driveshaft, fuel tank and starter. however, the rear end has totally different gearsets, and the r32 box will not mate to a 2.0, so that would be a ttq-specific thing.

it's a $10k conversion at a minimum, and even in my case, i'd still have to fork over $5k even after the insurance company paid for their end of the deal (floorpan/tank/suspension).

there's a reason why hpa charges $25k+ to do it...it's nearly 100 hours to do it right. buy a tt225q or tt3.2 and call it a day if you need awd in a mk4. not worth it anay other way.

it's too bad the ttq/r32 uses electronic awd, if it was mechanical like the passat and any other audi (barring the a3), it'd be a much more straightforward swap and a lot less wiring. haldex is an electronic setup and needs input from various sensors to engage.

#5 ·
Forgive me for being the thread resurrector, but...

Sounds like you're figuring in labor? No need to if you have a toolbox as big as mine! So, maybe $5K? Doeable. Buying a totaled A3, complete, of course, should give me everything I need, including electronics.

Gotta call a few insurance co's...

Anyhow, thanks for the parts list.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.