Where do these bad vacuum lines go? Looks like one is for the brake booster. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM

Default Where do these bad vacuum lines go? Looks like one is for the brake booster.

Hi there,
Got a deal on a 98 Beetle thats a little rough, but low mileage at 67K. Chasing a few codes right now. Cleaning the throttle body and I see two small vauum lines that aren't connected to anything and they are shot. Looks like one may have gone to the valve for the brake booster vacuum. Does the other line go to the manifold somewhere for a vaccum source? Both lines go to what appears to be a solenoid. Here are some pictures.

Good side:

Needs a door side:

Dirty throttle:

Solenoid:

Bad pictures of the two vacuum lines near brake booster vacuum in back of manifold area:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Super smart senior member

Car: 99 Beetle GL, Cyber green. Soon to be Black/Grey

Yup that's the brake booster line, it attaches to another line that is clamped on the back of the engine, you will see a little tube sticking out right in the back on the very top, left of the throttle body.

Im surprised that your car is running, usually a brake booster line coming off will result in the car killing itself until its fixed.

And not to sound like a douche but I think that looks like a flooded engine bay.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like maybe I found the problem then. I purchased the car on Wednesday not running. The fuel pump assembly was not sealed into the tank so the car smelled of old gas inside, so I reconnected all that up. Hooked up the vag com and all codes pointed to the throttle sensor, found that connector wasn't hooked up. Now while cleaning the TV I see these lines so maybe when they are hooked up and the throttle reprogrammed she will run. If it runs good enough I throw a door on it and use it this winter.

My friend and I were wondering the same thing, like is this a flood car? I haven't done a carfax yet. The owner said that the car sat a lot and the body had lots of tree stuff on it which I pressure washed off. The car has been in Vermont for about 27K so a little corrosion under the hood isn't to uncommon especially if the car sat a lot in a moist area. I started only looking for parts to repair my 98 TDi Beetle, but for what I paid for this I couldn't turn it down.

Last edited by asnowsquall; 11-15-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM

OK, so the lines that were bad were the small lines, so it looks like one goes to the check valve for the vacuum boost and the other goes to the EGR valve. I replaced those lines, cleaned the throttle and did the learn with the VAG. Car started and ran good for about 20-30 seconds and quit. Starts and dies. Next up, a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail as it sounds like its running out of fuel. Fuel filter or regulator maybe? Gauge will help.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnowsquall View Post
OK, so the lines that were bad were the small lines, so it looks like one goes to the check valve for the vacuum boost and the other goes to the EGR valve. I replaced those lines, cleaned the throttle and did the learn with the VAG. Car started and ran good for about 20-30 seconds and quit. Starts and dies. Next up, a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail as it sounds like its running out of fuel. Fuel filter or regulator maybe? Gauge will help.
when it starts can you rev it to keep it alive?

When my booster line went out there was a huge leak that had to be closed on the line.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Its intermittent. The other day I could rev it up to about 2500 ish and it would run. Today no. Maybe I should also get a vacuum gauge on it, or maybe that available through the vag com and I can graph it with the vag. The other thing thats got me curious is the status of the systems, have to look again to get the terminology correct, but like the status of the emissions isn't good. Maybe its because it hasn't run long enough to tune itself. I haven't used the vag much, just got it about 6 monthes ago and this is like me 3 time poking around at it.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 AM

Looks like I have a leak somewhere between the throttle body and the MAF. Friend at work suggested pulling the connector off at the MAF and sure enough it stays running. Unless the MAF is bad.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Canada

Quote:
Looks like I have a leak somewhere between the throttle body and the MAF. Friend at work suggested pulling the connector off at the MAF and sure enough it stays running. Unless the MAF is bad.
The same happened with my Beetle when the MAF started to go (I thought I had a leak too). The motor wouldn't idle well so I disconnected the MAF plug and ran much better. I tried cleaning the MAF with sensor cleaner, but ended up replacing it anyway.
Try not to drive with the MAF disconnected as the extra rich default setting uses lots of gas and really heats up your CAT when you run lean again.
It's amazing how you can get something cheap and barely running into a great machine just by doing a little homework and elbow grease.
Cheers.
BTW, Welcome to the board.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Well I cleaned mine and its working for now, and is running real smooth. No more codes so far, thats without driving it. Coolant light is doing weird stuff like going to flashing red just after starting it, not even warm yet. Reseated connection now no light, but I was watching the temp with my vag com and it was getting hot, like 94C. Need to figure that out. If the thing doesn't go through coolant or oil then I got a deal. May be registering and inspecting it soon.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Do you know if timing belt and water pump have been changed on the car? Mileage is in the right range, and its 11 years on an original belt if it hasn't been changed. I'd think about doing that soon if it hasn't been done.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 11-18-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Well I cleaned mine and its working for now, and is running real smooth. No more codes so far, thats without driving it. Coolant light is doing weird stuff like going to flashing red just after starting it, not even warm yet. Reseated connection now no light, but I was watching the temp with my vag com and it was getting hot, like 94C. Need to figure that out. If the thing doesn't go through coolant or oil then I got a deal. May be registering and inspecting it soon.
My beetle started doing the whole flashing red thing and it was because I had low coolant at first but eventually I found out my water pump had broken and wasn't pushing water through the engine.. so I would check the coolant level first and if thats ok then maybe your wp is busted?

my first beetle: lil red/red! 98 2.0 5spd beauty hehehe
Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 AM

Yes, it was low on coolant. Light seems to be behaving properly now. Feels like its running real lean, real doggy. Maybe its relearning or maybe I still need something like a new MAF. I'll have to look again with the vag but it seemed like it was bouncy between lean and rich somewhere on one of the screens. No check engine light.....
No idea when maintenace was done. She did have a problem with cooling and had a new head put on so I would think they would have put a new timing belt on, but.....
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was low on coolant. Light seems to be behaving properly now. Feels like its running real lean, real doggy. Maybe its relearning or maybe I still need something like a new MAF. I'll have to look again with the vag but it seemed like it was bouncy between lean and rich somewhere on one of the screens. No check engine light.....
No idea when maintenace was done. She did have a problem with cooling and had a new head put on so I would think they would have put a new timing belt on, but.....
Im serious I would check and make sure that wasn't a salvaged car. It looks like one that was flooded to me.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
VW Junky

Car: 1999 GLS 2.sl0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethebluths.org View Post
Im serious I would check and make sure that wasn't a salvaged car. It looks like one that was flooded to me.
Agreed,CARFAX it man,no amount of sitting under a few trees could lead to such a mess It would make the process alot easier to go ahead and clean the engine and degunk the intake,check the air filter,change the oil,and clean the MAF.New battery?...use a memory saver?Nice bug
Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Looks very clean from Carfax. Mileage looks accurate also. Battery that was in the car was dead. I've got the battery from my TDi beetle in it. How long does it take for it to relearn? Practically bucking at about 2k rpms with half throttle ish. Starts runs and sounds good. Think it was stuff off the trees, this is the top of the car, right side is pressure washed.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 AM
VW Junky

Oh okay,sweet,looking good. Not sure about the learning process,but I believe the best bet may be to reset the computer and go from there,giving your bug its original operating peremeters from the factory.I did with great results,better idle and auto shift. I would kill for a NB project
Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 AM

May have started learn with MAF unplugged, so I think I'll start over.
My 3 kids love the Beetle, the type 1 Beetle was my first car back in 1978. I've always appreciated German engineering. Just coming off a Mercedes W123 kick. These crash well. Just got a used intercooler for the crashed Blue Beetle, now I still need a front end thanks to the running Silver Beetle. I know where there is another Beetle with 108K with some kind of Title issue making it a parts car for $1100 and its Silver which takes care of door for 1 car and front end for other. Would have to go to a friends house as I'm out of room. Looking for a cheaper out for now.

Love the TDi Beetle, all bad plastic is removed on it:
Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

OK, so unplugged battery and retry, same. Think it needs a MAF. May be getting a parts car which will help with both rigs. Needed a brake so I put the used intercooler in the blue beetle.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 AM
VW Junky

Two project bugs,sweet I would go ahead and reset the computer,clear the codes and not worry about the “learning”,makes life easier and gives a good place to start. Disconnecting the ECM from a power source will erase the boundaries set by VW for best performance while maintaining efficiency. And with that ole bashed blue of yours,I'd focus more on fixing her up rather spending all my time on something that could more easily be fixed.. sweet rides,man..
Old 11-22-2009, 03:07 AM

Found the small exhaust leak. Looking real close in the exhaust manifold area and I could see small smoke stains. Someone instlled the manifold gasket in upside down so the small EGR ports leaked out. Thinking of ordering a MAF and a fuel filter along with the exhaust gasket. I think the exhaust gasket would have been flagged at the inspection. PIA to do. Lucky my hardware wasn't to rusty. I know you are asking yourself why had the exhaust gasket been done? She said something about a new head from overheating.

Two projects? I've got a 83 Rabbit diesel in the garage thats practically bear. Trying to get paint on it so I can get the blue beetle in the garage. Mother Nature has been very kind so far, but that should change soon.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.