how do you replace the camshaft sensor - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 04:49 AM

Thumbs down how do you replace the camshaft sensor

Hi,
I just bought a used 2000 buggy and drove it for about 3 month and then the light engine came on. I didn't know what happened so i took it to the shop to get it checked. The guy said that i need to replace the camshaft sensor. Can somebody tell me how i can fix it. Also some pictures with instructions on it would be really helpful.
-Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Default Camshaft Position Sensor - check

Seems like you would want to double check to see if the camshaft position sensor is really bad.

Haynes VW 1998-2005 Repair Manual says:

"The camsahft position sensor, ..., determines the ignition timing and fuel injection synchronization on each cylinder.

Check: Performing the folling test will set a diagnostic trouble code and illuminate the Check Engine Light. Clear thediagnostic trouble code after performing the tests and making the necessary repairs.

The camshaft position sensor is located at the front of the cylinder head under the timing belt cover. On 2.0L models, the camshaft position sensor is located behind the camshaft sprocket and is equipped with a pigtail lead and a remote connector. On 1.8L turbo models, the camshaft position sensor is located at the front of the intake camshaft. check the terminals in the connector and the wires leading to the sensor for looseness and breaks. Repair as required.

Before checking the camshaft position sensor, check the voltage supply and ground circuits from the ECM. Dosconnect the electrical connector from the camshaft position sensor and connect a voltmeter to terminals 1 and 3 at the harness connector from the camshaft position sensor and connect a voltmeter to terminals 1 and 3 at the harness connector. Turn the ignition key On - the voltage should read approximately 5.0 volts. If the voltage is incorrect, check the wiring from the camshaft position sensor to the ECM. If the circuits are good, have the ECM checked at a dealer service department or other properly equipped repair facility.

To check the camshaft position sensor operation, reconnect hte connector to the camshaft position sensor and using a suitable probe, backprobe terminal no. 2 of the camshaft position sensor connector. Connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to the probe and the negative lead to a good engine ground point. Turn the ignition key On. Rotate the engine slowly with a breaker bar and socket attached to the crankshaft pulley center bolt while watching the meter. The voltage should fluctuate between zero volts and 10.0 volts as the vanes in the reluctor wheel past the sensor. If the test results are incorrect, replace the camshaft position sensor. Note: Rotate the engine slowly through at least two complete revolutions. Removing the spark plugs from the engine will make the crankshaft much easier to turn. Warning: If you remove the spark plugs, unplug the primary (low voltage) electrical connector(s) from the ignition coil(s) to disable the ignition system.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
overwhelmed/underpaid

Car: a project jetta in a state of (dis)repair

if you got code p0341, then yes, the cam sensor is the culprit.

to replace, it's fairly straightforward; if you can do the belt on your own, it's only another 30 minutes to replace it.

i have a DIY in progress on the timing belt.

2.0S jetta glx-i...13.765@105.6
Old 01-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Default To Replace It

Now that you're ready to replace it.
  1. Remove the timing belt and the camshaft sprocket
  2. Remove the timing belt rear cover. disconnect the camshaft position sensor electrical connector and detach the electrical connector from the bracket.
  3. Remove the camshaft position sensor mounting bolt and remove the sensor from the cylinder head.
  4. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Have fun!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Car: 1998 beetle

thanks for the helpful info
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 AM

Thumbs up Great help

Hi! I know this post is kinda old, but I really want to thank you all for the informative post. I recently bought a camshaft position sensor online through google and was really wondering on how to install it in my beettle. Thanks, for this thread.

Last edited by broad; 08-31-2010 at 03:20 AM..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 AM

Default Camshaft Position

Didn't mean to hijack but it was the same topic. Will a non-working camshaft sensor keep the engine from starting?

BTW, It passed the Haynes voltage test. Thanks
Old 01-26-2013, 01:14 AM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8P View Post
Didn't mean to hijack but it was the same topic. Will a non-working camshaft sensor keep the engine from starting?

BTW, It passed the Haynes voltage test. Thanks
I found a website that has very useful information about the OBDII error codes. Here is what it says about p0341:

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0341 VOLKSWAGEN - Camshaft Position Sensor | Engine-Codes.com
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 AM

Default 99 Bug

Thanks Red.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 AM
mike03 2.0 vert

Car: 03 GLS

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0341 VOLKSWAGEN - Camshaft Position Sensor | Engine-Codes.com[/QUOTE]

This site is really great.......thanks.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike03 View Post

This site is really great.......thanks.
You're welcome. I came across it the other day by googling an error code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.