VW Beetle Forum banner

Check engine light flashing

39K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Prego 
#1 ·
My 2003 VW Beetle has a flashing check engine light. The car seems fine when idling but is really sluggish when I press on the gas. It rained so I am thinking this may have something to do with it?? I checked the gas cap and it is tight. We just had him into the shop last month for another check engine light alert....this was for a new water pump, timing belt and coolant sensor. So I hope this isn't something major! He is getting expensive. Any ideas?? Thanks!

#2 ·
Get the car scanned at autozone or an equivalent.

Though I'm pretty sure flashing means to stop driving the car and fix what the problem is. The only time mine came on was for a dead O2 sensor and it just stayed on solid.

#3 ·
Jeez,eh,yeah,don't drive it too much because it may or may not be serious...Take your beast to Autozone,get 'em scanned,if your not certain the seriousness of the situation,let us know wussup,just ask:).

Usually a flashing CEL is caused by serious miss fire,detonation,backfire,ect.

Good luck,its prolly not to bad;),knock on wood.

#6 ·
The time between ny last post and now, I had purchased a sweet new craftsman CanOBD2 scanner tool for my b-day tuesday,oh how I'd love to scan your bug right about now.

Turns out I had a misfire myself:p,cleared it up and has yet to return:)...

Good luck with your MIL,its not a bad investment to look into on yourself,btw.

#8 ·
well, you did say you had the timing belt done...

timing off a tooth+bad plugs=flash
bad plugs+wires=flash
crossed wires=flash

a flashing cel is caused by a multiple cylinder misfire at the same time.

i wouldn't drive too far, but a few miles ain't gonna kill ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.