rough idle at low rpm - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Car: 1998 2.0
Default rough idle at low rpm

I am very new to Beetles and have come across a problem that I cannot diagnose. When I started the car this morning (it was very damp and had been raining ) it idled very rough and coughed and sputtered at anything below 2000 rpm. It was low on fuel so I added some "heat" to absorb any water due to condensation, but the rough idle still continues. I checked for codes and there was nothing present. Could this be a moisture issue in the fuel or something more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Sounds like a crack in your coil pack. Any CEL's? Many threads on this issue. Easy change out and available part.
Franco
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 PM

No CEL's at the moment. This was a sudden onset, it drove just fine last night
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 PM

With the rain/moister you're having a hairline crack in your coil pack will make your Beetle do the things you're talking about with no codes. I'm almost 100% sure it's your coil pack.
Franco
Old 04-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Is this an expensive part or particularly difficult to change? I am relatively capable at most auto repairs, but the Beetle has me a little intimidated due to its tight engine compartment.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Easy replacement. Remove dip stick and engine cover and you'll see the coil pack with your spark plug wires. If i remember it's one connection and three bolts(allen wrench) that keeps it together. Remove and replace. Here is a link to parts or check your dealer.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Engine > Ignition
Franco
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Thank-you very much, I appreciate all you help.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Techno Blue 01 GLS 5 spd

Try the cheapest fixes first. I had a slightly rough idle and all it was was a vacuum hose need o be replaced...namely, it was he short one right on top of the intake manifold. If it runs ok but just idles a little rough, my guess would be a vacuum leak. You can replace this yourself in about...ohhhh...32 seconds and a few dollars.

2001 Techno Blue Pearl 5 spd GLS. Heated leather, fog lights, power sunroof, alloy wheels.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:49 PM

I'd change your fuel filter as well, just in case you pulled some crap through and its clogged it a bit

2012 Beetle Design 2.0TDI (140BHP) (UK car)
2012 Nissan Juke 1.5dci Acenta Sport (UK car)
Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Just by way of an update, the car will not make power at all until the engine is warm, and then it will only make any sort of power above 2000rpm. Anything under that and the car will bog down and try to stall. I should also mention that it is a 5 speed. As long as I keep the revs over 2000 once it is warm, it will run just fine, but it chugs and sputters at every stop light and intersection.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Canadian New Member

Car: 98 N.B. 2L 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtobeetles View Post
Just by way of an update, the car will not make power at all until the engine is warm, and then it will only make any sort of power above 2000rpm. Anything under that and the car will bog down and try to stall. I should also mention that it is a 5 speed. As long as I keep the revs over 2000 once it is warm, it will run just fine, but it chugs and sputters at every stop light and intersection.
Have you checked all your vacuum hoses and ignition wires and coil pack yet????
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 PM

No, I have not checked the coil pack yet, but the vacuum lines seem to be okay. I hope to go over the ignition and coil pack tonight.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Okay, here we go with an update. Today the car popped a few codes: P0300-Random misfire detected
P0135-o2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1 )
P0301-Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0303-Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P0134-o2 Circuit No Activity ( Bank 1 Sensor 1 )

While I was poking around I found a black hose with a hole in it running to the manifold. Is it possible that this may be the culprit?
Attached Images/Files

Old 04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Car: 1999 GLS Beetle 2.0L 5 speed "Betty"

looks like you have some vacuum lines to replace. with those misfires i would replace the coil pack. it is under the air injector pump if equiped with it. part cost anywhere from 80 to 140 depending on brand. bought a huco from ecs tuning was 88.....solved all misfires and she runs better than ever. i had a crack down the center of the coil. just my .02 good luck!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Okay, here we go with an update. Today the car popped a few codes: P0300-Random misfire detected
P0135-o2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1 )
P0301-Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0303-Cylinder 3 misfire detected
P0134-o2 Circuit No Activity ( Bank 1 Sensor 1 )

While I was poking around I found a black hose with a hole in it running to the manifold. Is it possible that this may be the culprit?
Yep, that'd be the vacuum line on the intake manifold I was referring to. Replace that and it'll run just fine. You can take it off and take it to any autoparts store and they'll sell you a length of vacuum hose. Just cut it to length and replace it. oh you may have other vacuum leaks seeing as that one was so bad. It also looks like you may be needing to replace an o2 sensor soon as well.

Last edited by HudsonValleyVDub; 04-07-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM

I just wanted to say thank-you for all the help I received with this issue, this is an amazing forum, and everyone is knowledgeable and helpful. I replaced that vacuum line and the car is running perfectly fine now, going to give it an up-close look this weekend. I am very new to VW's, and not much of a motor guy, but everyone was patient and helpful, so once again thank-you. I will be on again as I plan to drive this car for a while as a driver, but would like to tune it a bit eventually.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
I just wanted to say thank-you for all the help I received with this issue, this is an amazing forum, and everyone is knowledgeable and helpful. I replaced that vacuum line and the car is running perfectly fine now, going to give it an up-close look this weekend. I am very new to VW's, and not much of a motor guy, but everyone was patient and helpful, so once again thank-you. I will be on again as I plan to drive this car for a while as a driver, but would like to tune it a bit eventually.
Great...glad to hear it wasn't something more. Always check the cheapest and most obvious things first. It may not always work out that way but its better than throwing away good money...and good parts for no reason. I'd check the rest of the vacuum lines since that one was so bad. There are larger ones behind that intake area that also can go bad but the one you changed, for some reason, has a nasty effect on the cars idle if gone bad. Good luck with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.