what's your average MPG and RPM when cursing around 60mph - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Question what's your average MPG and RPM when cruising around 60mph

what's your average MPG and RPM when cruising around 60mph ish
mine RPM almost hit 3000 when cursing at 60mph ish... is that too high? and my MPG is never higher than 24MPG. (60% city, 40% HWY)

2000 NB 2.0L

Last edited by progeek; 05-25-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Car: 1999 GLS Beetle 2.0L 5 speed "Betty"

Quote:
Originally Posted by progeek View Post
what's your average MPG and RPM when cursing around 60mph ish
mine RPM almost hit 3000 when cursing at 60mph ish... is that too high? and my MPG is normally higher than 12MPG. (60% city, 40% HWY)

2000 NB 2.0L
@75 mph tach is at about 3800ish with my style of driving (cruise at 80 to 85 depending on traffic) i avg about 25 mpg. (75% highway 25% city)
Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Worry less, drive more

Car: 2005 Blue Lagoon GLS TDI 5spd

cursing??
My Ride - Daisy - 160k. 42-45 mpg. Front clear corners, Wet Okole seat covers, stubby antenna, dieselgeek short shifter, leather shift boot, dieselgeek aluminum skidplate, interior courtesy lights replaced with LEDs, 17" OEM Kukuna alloys, old Beetle-style 'meep meep' horn, custom dead pedal, engine cover and interior painted to match blue lagoon exterior. Up next - Malone stage 1.5 tune. Bought new 11/2/04.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
overwhelmed/underpaid

Car: a project jetta in a state of (dis)repair

at 60mph, my car turns 3000rpm.

it also pulls 34mpg.

air up the tires to 42psi, that makes a HUGE difference.

2.0S jetta glx-i...13.765@105.6
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

i just had #1 cylinder misfire reading from the OBD2 device. The technician checked out and turn the CEL off. Apparently it happened just once a while.

Will I notice the RPM change if the misfire happens again? Cheers.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Beetle Loving Gamer

Car: 2000 GLS

70%highway
30%city

Getting about 34MPG

My Tires are aired up too.

Not bad.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Good-bye Curby...

Car: '08 Scion xB

Ooooooooooooooh, I'm going to pump mine up and see if that improves my MPG. Thanks for the tip.

My RPMs always seem high. I think that's how the Beetles run.

There's no apostrophe before an 's' when you're talking about the plural version of a word. "I took some neat photo's!" is NOT correct.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Maynard View Post
70%highway
30%city

Getting about 34MPG

My Tires are aired up too.

Not bad.
how fast you run on highway?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:29 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

This thread may be of interest or maybe this thread...

Last edited by D2Beetle; 05-25-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Old 05-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Beetle Loving Gamer

Car: 2000 GLS

Quote:
how fast you run on highway?
Speed limit.. 60-65ish, Im also sluggish and take my time.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Canadian New Member

Car: 98 N.B. 2L 5speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Beetle View Post
Interesting logs... What i find very interesting is the difference between the 99 AEG and the 98 AEG.. Did you ever find out what the tranny codes are in these cars. Should both be o2J no ?? Why i say this is there is 300 rpms difference between the two and only 1 KPH difference in speed...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianbugin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Beetle View Post
Interesting logs... What i find very interesting is the difference between the 99 AEG and the 98 AEG.. Did you ever find out what the tranny codes are in these cars. Should both be o2J no ?? Why i say this is there is 300 rpms difference between the two and only 1 KPH difference in speed...
I did and the '98 and '99 are the same code initially, but I found out that there is transmission sub-code which I still need to get; i.e. so an accurate tranny code is actually six digits 02J 1VB. Something to add to my holiday weekend to-do list as I'll be working on both.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 PM
You can always turbo it

WI, USA

My usual MPG is about 19 city and 28 highway, with aftermarket parts, however at 65 MPH, my car runs at about 4200 RPMs, 4 speed auto
Dyno: (2010) 186HP
13.695 quarter (2009)
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 PM

Car: 2000 GL

Honestly, I just drove through the mountains on a 4 hour drive each way this weekend. I filled up the tank, I only used half a tank of gas going each way.

The total mileage is 235 miles, I was averaging between 31-33 MPG, I actually used less gas coming back.

First big trip the car went on and it "crushed" my g/f's Chevy Cobalt up hills, and in overall mileage.

So much for newer being better! TBH, the comparison wasnt even close. She was averaging 28.7-29.4 MPG.

Clearly the Beet wins this battle. Sorry average speed was 75 because the speed limits are 70
Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Car: 1999 VW Beetle GLS 2.0

I went 300 miles on 13.6 gallons of gas. I was getting 380 miles per fill up. I havent changed my driving habits,but I did put an 02 sensor spacer on the front 02 sensor, because another beetle driver said he got better gas mileage when he installed his spacer and now I have an check engine light for the front sensor and he doesn't, We both have a 99 beetle 2.0 automatic, whats up with that?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
Im bigger than you

Car: 2003 Beetle GLS, 2.0L, Auto

Even after getting the work done a few weeks ago, Im still getting crappy mpg #'s

Hoped getting the timing belt, thermostat and water pump changed (water pump failed) it would help with the low mpg Im getting.

Right now getting around 220-230 per tank. This is mostly around town driving with some interstates on the weekend but just short 10 miles trips.

Was worried about the RPMs too since it just 'sounds' high. Have an auto 2.0 and around 65-67mph Im doing 3200 rpms. Also seems like I have power left to go. If I stomp down to pass someone Im does drop a gear/downshift and jumps easily into the mid 5000. Will take a video of it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

Does that sound right? I will check my tire pressure on Thursday when I fill up (before Earl comes to town). But I check that from time to time and its never really been that far off.

Anything else to check to help with mpg?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktastic View Post
Even after getting the work done a few weeks ago, Im still getting crappy mpg #'s

Hoped getting the timing belt, thermostat and water pump changed (water pump failed) it would help with the low mpg Im getting.

Right now getting around 220-230 per tank. This is mostly around town driving with some interstates on the weekend but just short 10 miles trips.

Was worried about the RPMs too since it just 'sounds' high. Have an auto 2.0 and around 65-67mph Im doing 3200 rpms. Also seems like I have power left to go. If I stomp down to pass someone Im does drop a gear/downshift and jumps easily into the mid 5000. Will take a video of it tomorrow if anyone wants to see it.

Does that sound right? I will check my tire pressure on Thursday when I fill up (before Earl comes to town). But I check that from time to time and its never really been that far off.

Anything else to check to help with mpg?
Your rpms are on the money for a 2.0 AEG, even if it is an auto. If your NB is operating properly you should get somewhere in the neighborhood of 320-420 a tank. The downshift and rpm rise is normal for the event you describe.

You might want to check this Speed/RPM chart. Yours should fall somewhere between the '98 and '99.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 AM
Jitterbug

Car: 2000 NB 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktastic View Post
...but just short 10 miles trips...
That will kill your average mpg, the gearbox oil is hardly warm after that much less up to proper temperature, likewise the engine will spend most of that mileage warming up so nothing lubricant-wise from engine through to wheel bearings is at proper, low friction temperature...

Simon
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Im bigger than you

Car: 2003 Beetle GLS, 2.0L, Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
That will kill your average mpg, the gearbox oil is hardly warm after that much less up to proper temperature, likewise the engine will spend most of that mileage warming up so nothing lubricant-wise from engine through to wheel bearings is at proper, low friction temperature...
Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean to imply just a 10 mile trip. I meant just 10 miles of interstate driving each weekend. Not even sure that was even important information at this point.

Car is already warmed up from stop/go normal street driving prior to getting on the interstate, then when i get off its back to normal street driving. Only mentioned the interstate due to the higher than normal rps I thought I was experienced.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Red Top & Red Seats

Car: 2005 New Beetle Convertible 2.0 GLS Dark Flint Edition

Quote:
what's your average MPG and RPM when cruising around 60mph ish
mine RPM almost hit 3000 when cursing at 60mph ish... is that too high? and my MPG is never higher than 24MPG. (60% city, 40% HWY)

2000 NB 2.0L
My beetle rpm is ~2700 at 60 mph and I normally drive 300 mpg / full tank (city and highway).
From my long distance trip in August, my beetle used 1/2 tank for 250 mpg (60 mph, highway only).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.