2001 Beetle will not start - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 PM

CA, USA
Car: 2001 New Beetle 2.0
Default 2001 Beetle will not start

I just drove my car out of the garage, washed it, drove it back in the garage, waxed it, now it won't start. I get a click only. The motor is not turning. The lights seems to show full strength, so I'm sure that the battery is fine. I even tried to jump it with my other car, it didn't turn, just the same click.

What is it? I hope it is a simple fix. Oh, I used a OBD2 reader and got P0171 (System too lean). The CEL has been on for about 6 months now, same code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
:)

Car: 2000 Beetle, 1964 Comet Caliente, 1966 Mustang

Starter?
Don't guess with electrical. Use a meter, and check for a short. You may have gotten something wet. Sounds awfully weird.

Hope this helps! Maybe wait a few hours for it to 'dry out'.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Have you tested the battery? When mine died, I got clicking, and all of my lights worked, but no start. I'd check it and make sure.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM

What was your other car that you tried to jump it with? You other car's battery may not have been strong enough to start it. Reason I say that is because I had a similar issue where the battery in my 1 car was so far dead that my other car was not strong enough to jump it. I had to hook it up to my 200 amp battery charger/jumper just to get it to turn over.

From what you are saying, it sure sounds like the battery. It takes a lot of battery power to start a car. And the fact that you started the car twice without actually driving it, it probably just killed it enough not to start again.

Is this your stock battery? If so, 9 years is a long time and you can consider yourself lucky that it lasted that long.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM

CA, USA

My other car is the BMW X5 with a big honking battery. I've used it several times and no problem. When I attempted this, the starter didn't do anything. I just heard a faint click...not the same click as the starter attempting to turn the motor over.

I thought it might be the battery, but if it was...my X5 would have done more than the same click. No this is the third battery on this car...about 6 months old.

Also wouldn't the headlights be pretty dim when the battery is so dead? Both headlight and high beams were pretty bright when I checked...that was the first thing I checked...and I did it with the fan on full blast.

I don't know much about using the meter checking which areas. Do you know where I can look this stuff up? Also does anyone know where the solenoid is?

Last edited by generalragesc; 08-10-2010 at 10:25 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalragesc View Post
My other car is the BMW X5 with a big honking battery. I've used it several times and no problem. When I attempted this, the starter didn't do anything. I just heard a faint click...not the same click as the starter attempting to turn the motor over.

I thought it might be the battery, but if it was...my X5 would have done more than the same click. No this is the third battery on this car...about 6 months old.

Also wouldn't the headlights be pretty dim when the battery is so dead? Both headlight and high beams were pretty bright when I checked...that was the first thing I checked...and I did it with the fan on full blast.

I don't know much about using the meter checking which areas. Do you know where I can look this stuff up? Also does anyone know where the solenoid is?
Battery is special order, usually around $130. It has a special reserve. Regardless, if it was too dead to jump you wouldnt have lights. You can get a meter reader at any auto parts store. You'd really need schematics and a manual. Hopefully you can read schematics too. Manual would give you a picture of the solenoid. I'd tell you but I can't remember off the top of my head without looking.

If you want me to scan my haynes manual (I think that's the brand) in, let me know.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

You can get a battery for the NB at any autoparts store. I had a Duralast in there, that lasted at least 5 years. Replaced with another. Runs great. No reason to special order one.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
You can get a battery for the NB at any autoparts store. I had a Duralast in there, that lasted at least 5 years. Replaced with another. Runs great. No reason to special order one.
Yes, typically they're stock, but it IS a special battery. Most places you have to order them, at least where I am. Obviously if you go in and say 'battery for VW beetle (year)' they're gonna give you the right one.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM

CA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyyysayss View Post
Battery is special order, usually around $130. It has a special reserve. Regardless, if it was too dead to jump you wouldnt have lights. You can get a meter reader at any auto parts store. You'd really need schematics and a manual. Hopefully you can read schematics too. Manual would give you a picture of the solenoid. I'd tell you but I can't remember off the top of my head without looking.

If you want me to scan my haynes manual (I think that's the brand) in, let me know.
You are correct that if the battery is so dead...I wouldn't have anything. That happened a while back...when my wife left the lights on for a couple days...we had to rev the X5 to start the Beetle...so I can get to AutoZone to replace the battery and give them the core at the same time. Oh, I made sure that they had one in stock before I drove there.

Yes, I can read schematics...just dunno where to get it. Sure if you don't mind scanning the appropriate pages of your manual.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
You are correct that if the battery is so dead...I wouldn't have anything. That happened a while back...when my wife left the lights on for a couple days...we had to rev the X5 to start the Beetle...so I can get to AutoZone to replace the battery and give them the core at the same time. Oh, I made sure that they had one in stock before I drove there.

Yes, I can read schematics...just dunno where to get it. Sure if you don't mind scanning the appropriate pages of your manual.
Exactly. You'd have to search online for the schematics. I'll scan in some pages tomorrow for you.

Are you sure it's something electrical, like no weird fumes or hissing? Just to eliminate any other guesses.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 AM

Oh jeeze, forgot to mention, make sure you're getting spark!
The distributer is easy to get cracks in (especially when replacing plugs and wires). And once it gets wet, it's usually toast.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 AM

CA, USA

Quote:
Exactly. You'd have to search online for the schematics. I'll scan in some pages tomorrow for you.

Are you sure it's something electrical, like no weird fumes or hissing? Just to eliminate any other guesses.

Yeap, nothing unusual, no fumes, hissing nor sparks. The car was running fine for a while. Just washed and waxed it this morning.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 AM

CA, USA

Quote:

Hi,

Were you able to scan the schematics yet?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Canadian New Member

Car: 98 N.B. 2L 5speed

Quote:

You can find the starter solenoid on the starter..located on the front of the engine towards the drivers side of the car in the transmission bellhousing... You could try the old backyard mechanics trick of tapping the starter while cranking to see if it is the solenoid sticking...??? If it starts while tapping it. The starter should be replaced...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Were you able to scan the schematics yet?

Thanks!
I don't have schematics dear, but I believe I have pictures of the solenoid location and replacement etc. in my manual. I'll scan 'em in now that I'm not posting from my phone...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Dubbed Spiderman

Car: 98 2.0 5 Speed

Has your car ever just died while cruising? Then after 5 min or so start right back up and run like normal? If so, my gues is crankshaft position sensor. Search for related threads and see if that is what is happening with you. Check voltage on your battery first to rule that out right from the start.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:47 PM

If you need more (other) instructions, like if I missed a page, let me know! Sorry these are big, but, you need to read 'em.

Oh lookie what I found, schematics!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 AM
99 Yellow VDub

Car: 1999 Yellow 2.0L GLS

could be something as simple as the starter relay. they usually only cost a few dollars.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 PM

CA, USA

Thanks. I'll check it out...and I'll post results here.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:48 AM

CA, USA

Ok...I finally got some time to check things out...I think it is the Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Relay (175)

How do you test it? That thing has 9 pins!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.