strange noise - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 AM

Car: '99 2.0L
Default strange noise

my wife has a 99 beetle. she's had it for a few years and had very few problems with it thus far. however, lately its been making a weird noise on cold starts. its like a low pitch grinding or rattling noise. of course when we have it at the shop it doesnt make the noise. we had the timing belt and water pump replaced today and the mechanic checked it over pretty well, but couldnt find anything.

he had mentioned earlier it might be the starter or the secondary air pump, which seem to be common problems from what i can tell by browsing the forums. but after doing some searching im not sure if thats what this is. those seems to be high pitched or a "kazoo" sound. this doesnt really sound like that.

like i said, its usually only on cold starts and it doesnt last more than a minute or two. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 AM
New Beetle Accessories

Car: 1998 New Beetle, 2003 Eurovan, 1978 Superbeetle Convertible, 1979 Westfalia, 2002 New Beetle

For 90 seconds after a cold start??? I'd say the secondary air pump.

Wait for it to get unbearably loud or quit altogether and then replace it with a used one. Or, if the rivets are pulling out and separating the case halves, you might be able to fix it and quiet it down (pull out the rivets and replace them with screws).
Volkswagen Club of America

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Crown Royal in one hand - Cigar in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Kick Ass Ride!"
Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 AM

Car: '99 2.0L

it almost sounds like something is rubbing on something else. i started it tonight to see if i could hear it. i wasnt really doing it till i put it in reverse and backed up a little, does it in other gears too. my wife said its lasting longer today. im off on friday, so im gonna try and see if i can find anything loose or rubbing. its kinda driving me crazy not being able to figure it out
Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 PM
You can always turbo it

WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr and mrs noodles View Post
my wife has a 99 beetle. she's had it for a few years and had very few problems with it thus far. however, lately its been making a weird noise on cold starts. its like a low pitch grinding or rattling noise. of course when we have it at the shop it doesnt make the noise. we had the timing belt and water pump replaced today and the mechanic checked it over pretty well, but couldnt find anything.

he had mentioned earlier it might be the starter or the secondary air pump, which seem to be common problems from what i can tell by browsing the forums. but after doing some searching im not sure if thats what this is. those seems to be high pitched or a "kazoo" sound. this doesnt really sound like that.

like i said, its usually only on cold starts and it doesnt last more than a minute or two. any ideas?
I had this problem, check under the car for loose exhaust components, when my car would warm up the sound would disappear, i replaced two hangers because the central pipe was resting against the center crossbar when cold
Dyno: (2010) 186HP
13.695 quarter (2009)
Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

It might be worth investigating the oil pump chain tensioner. They’ve been known to shatter on early AEG motors.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
It might be worth investigating the oil pump chain tensioner. They’ve been known to shatter on early AEG motors.
Can you elaborate more on that? Never heard of anything like that happening. Didnt know there were any chains in the 2.0s.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Jitterbug

Car: 2000 NB 2.0

Quote:
Could be, but as it runs in oil all the time I'm not sure why that would only show on cold starts

Simon
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Jitterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Can you elaborate more on that? Never heard of anything like that happening. Didnt know there were any chains in the 2.0s.
The 2.0 has a chain in the sump that drives the oil pump and balance shaft. As it runs in oil it isn't a serviced item, it should last the life of the engine.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
Could be, but as it runs in oil all the time I'm not sure why that would only show on cold starts

The chain tensioner is not bathing in oil; it’s above the level of the oil pan. It could "in theory" be loud until oil is splashed on what’s left of it it. It’s made of plastic and gets brittle, cracks and falls into the pan.

Only down side that if it is the tensioner, the timing belt and lower timing gear has to come off to replace it. I did not even know mine had shattered until I dropped the oil pan to reseal it. I wish I took a picture because I nearly had a heart attack when I found it.

It has been reputed on the TDI forum that it is very rare that they do crack, but it has been known to happen on early AEG motors from what I have read.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:35 AM
Jitterbug

Quote:
The chain tensioner is not bathing in oil; it’s above the level of the oil pan.
No, I was referring to the chain which IIRC correctly has its lower half below the oil level so the whole chain should be lubed with a 1/2 turn of the crank which is why I would be surprised it made a noise only on cold starts, doesn't mean it won't, I find all sorts of stuff on these cars surprising
Old 01-21-2011, 12:30 AM

Car: 2001 *1.8 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGSTUFF View Post
For 90 seconds after a cold start??? I'd say the secondary air pump.

Wait for it to get unbearably loud or quit altogether and then replace it with a used one. Or, if the rivets are pulling out and separating the case halves, you might be able to fix it and quiet it down (pull out the rivets and replace them with screws).
i see one rivets is half way out it make's a noise for 5 sec on cold start and the engine light come's on sometime when i hear that noise. any idea if i need to replace the pump ?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Have you had the car scanned for codes?

What kind of noise is it making? More like a grinding noise? If its only for a few seconds on cold starts, I'd say its more likely the starter. Mine does the same thing. Won't cause any problems, just a dirty starter.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 AM

Question

one rivets is half way out it on the secondary pump what should i do use a bolt amd a nut???. . .
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Car: 2002 Blk TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle1.8turbo View Post
one rivets is half way out it on the secondary pump what should i do use a bolt amd a nut???. . .
http://newbeetle.org/forums/technica...tion-pump.html
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoguy View Post
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.