Starting Issue After Filling Up Gas - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 AM

Default Starting Issue After Filling Up Gas

same specs as my post below,

I go put gas in the car no matter how much fuel i put in the car it wont start with out touching the accelerator up and down until it starts..
then you have to hold the gas down a bit and put it into 1st and take off or it will stall.
its got new plugs etc..
not sure what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2010, 05:07 AM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Car: 2000 Beetle 3.2 24v

Does this happen every time you fill it up? Does it only do it after filling up and then the issue disappears?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 AM

ya usually just when its filled up, take off and shut off car and it starts fine
Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Jitterbug

Car: 2000 NB 2.0

Have you scanned it for codes???

Simon
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Car: 01 1.9TDI Techno Blue

might be the fuel filter
Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM

I have seen and read that this will happen where there is an issue with the fuel evaporative system.
I just had this fixed about 45 days ago.
The evap system starts in the engine bay (passenger side) and has hoses that come from a big can, pass through an electric purge valve and down the body to the fuel filler and tank.
A mechanic will want to do a pressure test to see if there is a leak or blockage.
When the system has a leak, you will generally get a CEL with some code about the evap system or a vaccuum leak.
When something is obstructed then you will get the symptom where the car will be hard to start when you have a full tank.
You can test this by only filling up about half-way and seeing if the car is hard to start or not.

In my case the car started by having problems only when the tank was full. About a month later I got a CEL about a leaking evap purge valve.
Turns out that I had a blockage in a rubber line that vents the fuel filler. This caused the issue where the car would be hard to sart.
I also got a leak in the fuel cap gasket, and this caused the CEL to come on about the purge valve.

My VW mechanic knew from my description that this was a problem with the evap lines and had it fixed in a day. Cost was for one rubber line and a new fuel cap.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok yes, I do have a check engine light on, I have just replaced the fuel filter a while ago..
I do too think its a line issue or vacumm issues as well.
It doesnt matter how much gas I put in the tank..
Do you think it could be a bad gas cap?
I know in another car I had, i had a check engine light on and replaced the gas cap and issue was solved. As for the hard to start issue I didnt have that problem in that car.
Is there anyway I can check the lines myself? Some sort of pressure test or something?
Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Go to an Autozone or other auto parts store and have the car scanned for the codes. That will help point you in the right direction, rather than blindly throwing parts at it.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0

I am having the exact same issue ("strange situation" thread) as wjrs, and I do have a CEL on. I have changed the fuel filter recently but have not tried filling up only part way. Guess i will check to see if there is any obvious vacuum line obstruction, etc.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Real life Beetle mechanic

When you guys fill up, you stop filling the first time the handle clicks off. If you top it off it can not vent.

By top it off, I mean you fill it to the rim with Brim.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Have either of you gotten the cars scanned for codes?

Side note, when I fill up, after the first click I usually end up putting more fuel in. But its because I'm OCD about it and I like nice round numbers for payment on the pump. I usually only put in a smidge more though.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Car: 1999 GLS 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeetleMechanic View Post
When you guys fill up, you stop filling the first time the handle clicks off. If you top it off it can not vent.

By top it off, I mean you fill it to the rim with Brim.
Good point. I usually "fill it to the rim," to where the handle clicks off several times. I'll try not overfilling next time and see what happens. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Real life Beetle mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjspack View Post
Good point. I usually "fill it to the rim," to where the handle clicks off several times. I'll try not overfilling next time and see what happens. Thanks.
Please take it as a suggestion, not a cure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.