Evaporator Core access - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Default Evaporator Core access

How do I access my evaporator core? I have desiccant from the receiver/dryer in my AC system. I am in the process of replacing: Compressor, discharge hose, expansion valve, receiver/dryer. I would like to disconnect the hose going into the evaporator to flush it.
A few weeks ago I repaired the blend door (AC distribution box)& cable, and blower switch. I must have been close to the evaporator. I could see the blower motor (under the glove box).
Can I get access to the hose connection by removing the glovebox and blower motor, or do I need to pull the whole dash again?
I have a Haines Manual, but do not have The Bentley Repair Manual yet.
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

The VW dealer (Part department) says pull the dash off.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

It is inside the plenum box and yes you will have to remove the dash again; the green box shows the location of the evaporator core. If all you want to do it flush it out; you should be able to that from the fire wall connections.

The yellow box is where the relays are.
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by D2Beetle; 06-25-2011 at 03:25 AM..
Old 06-23-2011, 03:44 AM

Default Thank you

Thanks for the reply and the great photo.
I removed the evaporator expansion valve so I have access into the firewall. (see photo with desiccant still in valve). I assume I can disconnect any hoses or lines going into the evaporator inside the car, that way I can flush the line segment clean and reconnect with out putting any chemical flush into the evaporator.
Attached Images/Files

Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"
Question

You've got quite a monumental project going on, an ugly mess. Have you determined what caused the receiver-dryer to fail? Compressor failure? I'm not a a/c guy, and it's one of the things in a vehicle I have not had occasion to work on. The vehicles I have owned that have needed a/c work (becasue of age and mileage, have all been GM, so the receiver-drier (GM equivalent to the accumulator) and thermal expansion valve (GM equivalent to the orafice tube) are a new learning experience for me. That being said, I have been doing a lot of research (searching and reading) helping out three other Orgers on three other threads who are also dealing with a/c issues (none as serious as yours). In addition to the web for research, I also have a Bentley.

What I've learned, and as a lesson and a warning to others, the receiver-dryer is a service item, with a usable life of 4-5 seasons. Also, when the system either has a leak that results in the loss of the refrigerant, or when the system is open for more than a matter of minutes, the receiver-dryer MUST be replaced (I knew this from my experience with the GM equivalent, the accumulator). When an a/c system has the refrigerant evacuated, you loose much of the compressor oil, the oil that lubricates the compressor (when replaced, the compressor comes with the correct type and amount of this oil already in it). If the compressor is not being replaced, oil must be added (I didn't know that), otherwise you are almost certain of ultimate compressor failure. In the event of a compressor failure (not the clutch) or as in your case the receiver-dryer failure the entire system must be flushed. You have discovered this with the evaporator. Also be aware the condenser will need flushing along with both the low pressure and high pressure lines. What I have learned about flushing the system, is that this is done with both compressed air and special flushing agents and equipment designed to remove all contaminents and compressor oil. Compressed air clearing of all parts and the the flushing of the system are always done in the direction opposite the direction of flow of the refrigerant (but that only makes sense). Also, all components are disconnected and flushed individually. The Bentley indicates that each and every "o" ring in the system must be replaced (there are numerous). It also indicates compressor oil and flushing agents are very specific.

For anyone wanting to learn more about the operation and servicing of their a/c system, there is a lot of information, including links to outside sites in these two Org threads.
A/C takes a long time to cool, but when it does it works fine.
ac problems on my tdi

If I can be of help to you, with my Bentley, I have the paperback paper version and can copy and scan, let me know. I'm familiar with old school Haynes, but not the NB Haynes, so I don't know what information you already have access to. From the subject of your post you may have limited information.

Btw, a nother Orger just put up a Bentley FS, $80 shipped (excellent price), here
Volkswagen New Beetle Service Manual

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 06-23-2011 at 05:40 AM..
Old 06-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Default Evaporator Core

Thank you for your response and for the A/C info. This is my first time attempting any AC repair/service. I am not sure if the dryer has ever been changed in my 1999 Beetle. I have had it charged once tthat I can remember since I have owned it in 12 years. And that was after it broke last year.

I would love to see the Bentley information. I did purchase the Bentley CD from Amazon. It is supposed to be a new copy but was used and I could not activate it. Amazon will send me another one but will probably be another week or two. I am already day 14 with my car on jack stands. The NB Haines manual is not too bad (it jumps around alot), I was able to figure out how to pull the dash apart. But there is nothing about the evaporator core.

I am at a standstill with the evaporator core, as I am not sure if I can or should remove the lines or not. I do not want to aggravate the situation by adding chemicals "flushing" the core if I am not susposed to. Do the two lines from the expansion valve through the firewall go in and out of the evaporator core as a closed circuit? Can I just flush at the firewall opening and not worry about damaging the evaporator core or disconnecting the lines? I do not plan to replace the core if it is not necessary, so is there any reason to try and access it from under the dash? The desiccant pellets are very hard, I hope that they stopped at the expansion valve, as the opening is physically too small for them to travel through the valve to the evaporator core.

I am replacing the discharge hose, compressor, dryer and expansion valve. I have a bag of new o rings. I already have a shop air compressor, and bought a new vacuum pump and AC gauge set. I plan to use compressed air on each part separately, including the condensor, then flush each section until clear with a spray chemical I bought at auto zone (see photo).

My original VW compressor had no oil come out of it even when turning the clutch. I added about 3.5 ounces to the new compressor, which is all I could force into it, even with turning the clutch. The new compressor had a few tablespoons of oil in it, and the directions said to empty it and replace with the same amount in the old compressor. Just from looking on line it seems like about 4 ounces was a standard recommendation, no recommendation in NB Haines Manual.

I added 13.5 ml of oil to the dryer (I read those instructions somewhere). I did not add any dye to the system, I think I will buy some and add it before it goes back together, I should have room for about 0.5 ounces, I guess I can just add it into the new discharge hose.

I plan to pull a vacuum on the system when it is assembled. And take it to a service center to charge the system and look it over when I am done. Especially since it is my first repair.

I found the low pressure access on the front passenger side of the car, above the radiator. Where is the High Pressure access? Passenger side, close to fender, back by expansion valve? (see photos)
Attached Images/Files

Old 06-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Member Sponsor

Unhappy

I feel for you buddy! You so need to see and read the Bentley section on A/C. DON'T do anything more until you see it! I can and will do this. When I get home this evening (I don't have the Bentley at the office), I will copy and scan into a .pdf doc all the relevant pages, I think maybe 15 or 20. Flushing methods and the approved solvent is addressed, as is the compressor oil thing. I read that the new compressor was all ready oiled and new oil would not be needed or need to be added to. Perhaps that was in the Bentley, or here, or in the changing compressor link in this link (this a good read also about generalities)
Auto Air Conditioning - Replacing your auto A/C compressor

While I am a MS here, I post an awful lot of things, and ultimately will use up my alotted memory. This might be too big a file to attach anyway. I never know until "it"tells me. Truely there is also a copywrite issue. Would you mind if I emailed the file to you. (that's someting that can't be done thru the Org email system (attachments). I have an email I only use for my forum communications with fellow members, run commercial anti-virus, don't abuse email addresses with bulk mailings, and I never share an email address with anyone, not even by accident. I'll need your email address if that is okay with you, via p/m.

MORAV
Old 06-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Default Evaoprator Core

That would be "I feel for you Babe" not buddy

I can not wait to see the Bently information.
Because I think I am over complicating things.

I am curious about:
Can I flush the evaporator core?
Where are the high and low pressure access ports? (See photos)
What is the green cap port for (see photo).
Is that an inline filer? I have read somewhere that any lines with an inline filter should not be chemical flushed (see photo)

I am working on ordering a Bently Hard Copy as well as the CD.

Thank you!
Attached Images/Files

Old 06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Member Sponsor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne View Post
That would be "I feel for you Babe" not buddy
Yes, I know now, slightly embarrassed, made amends in p/m (lol)
I can not wait to see the Bently information.
Because I think I am over complicating things.

I am curious about:
Can I flush the evaporator core?
Where are the high and low pressure access ports? (See photos)
What is the green cap port for (see photo).
Is that an inline filer? I have read somewhere that any lines with an inline filter should not be chemical flushed (see photo)

I am working on ordering a Bently Hard Copy as well as the CD.

Thank you!
Mornin' Darlin'!

Email sent; Complete BENTLEY Section 78 - Air Conditioning in .pdf file.

M.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 PM

Any chance you might still have that Bentley Section 78 info available? I'm about to replace an evaporator coil/drier/expansion valve in an '03 Beetle.

If not, I understand.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
a/c repair , desiccant failure , evaporator core access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.