Power to A/C Compressor clutch wont engage. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Power to A/C Compressor clutch wont engage.

Ok. Re-ran FCM test & Fan test. Fans were bad /no low speed. Replaced the fans. New Fans work perfect before & after install!

I also have power to the white wire on the HP switch(G65)as test suggested.

Lets talk A/C Compressor: I have power to the compressor (as even before I replaced the fans..) I unplugged the compressor and Ohms tested the clutch/compressor leads.. nothing, nada, zip..ziltcho.. no readings..

What conclusion can I draw? Clutch is bad? Is there anything else hidden I don't see that can be signaling that compressor not to engage, does not all signal/power flow into the main harness- two wire lead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM

This may be of some use:

http://i.imgur.com/Gz3io.jpg

OEM Wheel Database....
http://www.4130-products.com/wheels

5052 @ $8000 = total crap
VAG COM @ $350 = sanity
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Default A/C Clutch not engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilneck View Post
This may be of some use:

http://i.imgur.com/Gz3io.jpg
I thank you for your reply, I see lots and lots and lots of test I can do..but seems like these parts I'm testing, if bad will prevent power to the compressor. I have LOTS of power to the compressor, so by default should these relays, switches ect.. be good?

My confusion is this.. I have current to the clutch, my screwdriver sticks to the A/C Clutch face and even the Alt pully!... from the magnetization. Is there any conclusion we can draw from that?

Are there internal switches residing "INSIDE" the compressor controlled by Freon pressures that could be keeping the clutch from engaging even if visibly power is directly flowing?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

Double thread going here. It so, they would be upstream of the compressor, and you would not have switched power reading at the compressor, the basic part is simply a motor which runs a pump. So I don't have to look in the Bentley, now many leads feed it?

I assume this power you are measuring at the compressor is switched, right?

M.
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 09-30-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
Double thread going here. It so, they would be upstream of the compressor, and you would not have switched power reading at the compressor, the basic part is simply a motor which runs a pump. So I don't have to look in the Bentley, now many leads feed it?

I assume this power you are measuring at the compressor is switched, right?

M.
Yes. When the car is turned on and the A/C dash switch is on I have power to the compressor; The ONLY two wires I see running to it. Also the can see the clutch is magnetized by a screwdriver sticking to it.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Member Sponsor

As it should be, the clutch is engaged with these electromagnets. Bottom line, reman a/c compressor, or have yours rebuilt, about the same cost, unless you have the experience and talent to do it yourself. I have had them rebuilt and I have bought reman and new ones. That decission is usually warranty and/or availablity based.

M.

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 09-30-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 PM

Thumbs up A/C Compressor issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOtherRidesAVette View Post
As it should be, the clutch is engaged with these electromagnets. Bottom line, reman a/c compressor, or have yours rebuilt, about the same cost, unless you have the experience and talent to do it yourself. I have had them rebuilt and I have bought reman and new ones. That decission is usually warranty and/or availablity based.

M.
Thanks. You have confirmed my thoughts. I double checked everything. I actually only have a very weak Mag-field, no resistance reading at all.
(and sorry for the double thread my forum-rookieness )
Old 10-01-2011, 02:38 AM
Member Sponsor

Let us know the outcome, but I think your in the right place.

And don't worry about the duplicate thread, sometimes when a thread changes direction a different title garners more attention and responses. I do it sometimes for just that reason, or suggest to someone that they do a better title because of lack of readers. But I do, or suggest that the put a link to the old in the new and vice-versa. Like "Old thread here -" OR "Updated thread here -"

Deb may come along and merge them, or not.

M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.