Recurring code P2181, Cooling System Performance - Page 4 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM

I have the problem with a 2004 Jetta. Each time I cleared the P2181 code, the engine light came back on after about 60 miles. I changed the CTS (original had green top, I relaced with another green top CTS). I cleared code and the light went away for about a week (over 300 miles of driving - long enough for me to pass an inspection). Then the engine light came back on. The fact that the light remained off for 300 miles telle me that changing the CTS had some impact, yet the light eventually returned. What a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM

VA,
Car: 03 Turbo S Convertible, 10 Tiguan, 63 Beetle, 98 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by patparker View Post
I have the problem with a 2004 Jetta. Each time I cleared the P2181 code, the engine light came back on after about 60 miles. I changed the CTS (original had green top, I relaced with another green top CTS). I cleared code and the light went away for about a week (over 300 miles of driving - long enough for me to pass an inspection). Then the engine light came back on. The fact that the light remained off for 300 miles telle me that changing the CTS had some impact, yet the light eventually returned. What a pain.
Pat,
After 3 years of "chasing" this code I have found that the main reason for it is "slow to reach normal operating temperature". I too ran across resetting cel and sometimes 60 miles, sometimes 400miles, she'd come back on. I found on thos 400 mile times the weather was warmer, thus it reach N.O.T. faster. In end, I finally changed the stat, which I knew was the problem thanks to VAGCOM, but was too lazy to contort my hands to do it. Been P2181 free since November 2010 (knock on wood).
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Jitterbug

Car: 2000 NB 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by patparker View Post
The fact that the light remained off for 300 miles telle me that changing the CTS had some impact, yet the light eventually returned. What a pain.
Assuming a good CTS that code is "measuring" a problem in the cooling circuit, that is made up of coolant, passages/pipes/rad/block, water pump and thermostat. Assuming your coolant level is good then the thermostat is by far the easiest to change out to prove good or bad.

Simon
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Car: 2004 NBC Aquarius Blue

Hello Everyone,

Well, I'm on the P2181 Code wagon! I have a 2004 NBC and it just popped up about a month ago. I cleared it and it came back. So, I didn't want to do what happened to my Honda Accord (I blew the engine!) When Rich looked in the engine compartment, he really didn't want to take it on, so I finally went into VW and they said that it needs a thermostat replaced. Charged me $95 to tell me what I already knew and the cost to replace is $370! (also look at water pump while in there)($95 towards it).

(PS Rich has taken apart many engines and put them back together so it all is not foreign to him, just the fact that my VW compartment is SO compact!)

So my husband found your site through a search for the code and saw everything that you all are going through. He has a thermalcouple that can measure temps. We are thinking of doing that like what was mentioned on page 1 to see if water pump is working okay.

My question for you all is how do you get into the engine compartment without being a contortionist? We don't have a "service" manual. Any pictures/video to see to help in doing this ourselves?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

I've got this code too, just one day after we bought our 2005 Beetle with the 2.0 engine. Ugh!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Wifes Baby

Car: 2004 Beetle Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
was your thermostat staying slightly open? what do you mean by failsafe thermostat?
If the thermostat fails, it stays open, I just went and got an oem stat.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

This might help those trying to diagnose this code -
18613/P2181/008577

From Ross-Tech Wiki

Contents

18613/P2181/008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System

Possible Solutions
  • Check Engine Coolant Temperature Sender (G62)
  • Check Coolant Thermostat
  • Check Engine Cooling System
    • Put the key on, fan speed on 1, and push the a/c switch. Are both fans kicking on? If not, you found the problem.
    • Put the key on and fan speed on 1 with temperature set to hot. Does heat come out readily from the vents?
      • No. Probably the water pump is gone.
      • Yes. Probably the thermostat is gone.
Special Notes
  • Check the stored Freeze Frame data with this fault code. Freeze Frame information will be found in the fault code description (if the module supports it) or in Generic OBD-II if the vehicle complies with those regulations.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at -40*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored at +140*C is generally an indication of a faulty ECT or wiring.
    • Freeze Frame data stored with in the 68*C ~ 80*C range is an indication that the vehicle was close to, but not within, the cooling systems normal operation range. The Thermostat itself or Cooling system components may be at fault.
Retrieved from "18613/P2181/008577 - Ross-Tech Wiki"

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 PM
will wrench for rep

Car: 2003 Beetle Turbo S

I just started throwing this code again, this is the 3rd or fourth period of time it has started coming on. again after i clear it, on a cool morning jumping straight on the highway it will come on after a couple miles. it seems to be excessive flow through the thermostat, in cases where the car is at highway speeds immediately after starting on a cool engine, that it fails to reach normal operating temperature fast enough and sets the code. I think a defect of design with the thermostat will cause, after time, the flow of coolant to be excessive, i.e. when there should be no circulation to get the engine up to operating temp, there is still coolant traveling the circuit. My occurrence is with an 03 turbo S. not sure if the thermostat is the same part number. Additionally, this condition doesn't occur with greater or less frequency during cold winter months, which seems to disagree with my thinking here, but it is all i can come up with.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Chihuahua Whisperer

Car: 2004 NB 1.8L Turbo Convertible, Mellow Yellow

My CEL came on the other night driving on the freeway in the snow. This was the first time I have driven in snow and wonder if the cold wetness and the higher speed could have triggered this?

Had AutoZone check and got a 2181 code. My question is how long is safe to drive this way? I will be visiting my parents in a couple of weeks for Christmas and I think I can get my dad to replace the coolant temp sensor for me. The bad part is that's a 2 and half hour drive. Am I ok to make the trip?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 AM

CA, USA
Car: 2004 NBC 1.8T

I have an '04 1.8T with the P2181. I've cleared the code as no blinking coolant CEL. The code returns about half a day later. Today I smelled electrical after parking 8-0

Opened the hood and began pressing the fan fuses (attached to the battery box). Guess what? Fan kicks on when I press. Pulled the fuse (farthest left as facing the car) and it was corroded, nay blackened, by what I guess is some underlying electrical issue. Remember all of those who have had their fuses melt to the box or car burn to the ground as a result? I cleaned the contacts and the fan seems to kick in as expected. Going to keep a close eye on it. I'll post here with results and updates (if the 2181 returns or not).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.