VW Beetle Forum banner

98 beetle; Starts and DIES instantly,.. need help

26K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
I have been trolling the site for over a year and you guys have helped me out alot.. I have never had to ask a question in the past because, before I could use the search feature and figure everything out..

here goes:
wife left the lights on, battery died.
jumped the car off and drove home fine...
next morning the car wont start.

1st thing I did was get a brand new battery.
after new battery the beetle starts but instantly dies

I have tried the following:
cleaned MAF
replaced fuel filter
replaced fuel pressure regulator
replaced fuel pump relay
replaced all of the vacuum lines
checked air filter
replaced every hose on the car

none of those changed anything..
I do know the fuel pump is working
I checked the throttle body valve and it is opening as it should.

what do I do now??
I do not have a code reader, and i cant drive it anywhere to have the codes read.
I was thinking it might be a CPS, but the symptoms dont match

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
when i put the key to the "ON" position I can hear the Throttle Body cycling it self..

So I am thinking the battery was dead for too long and the Throttle Body has to be re-alligned...

How can I re-allign the Throttle Body without VAGCOM or any other code reader? is it possible or do i have to have it towed in to a VW dealership?

#6 ·
I don't think you need the throttle body aligned. I've pulled mine off and put it on a different intake manifold after I painted it and didn't have to do mine. How many miles on the car? When was the last time you did plugs, wires, and coil? Sounds like you're misfiring. ;)

#11 ·
I ordered a VAG-COM cable and it should be here Tuesday
I plan on reading the codes and align the throttle body if it is needed Tuesday night.

if it is the ignition switch, or plugs, or plug wires will these items spit out a code on the VAG-COM? I have never used it before.

one thing that stills puzzles me is that the "check engine" light is not on.. there are NO warning lights on at all:confused:

#13 ·
Remember that the free version of VCDS-Lite can only do a limited number of adaptations, so don't waste it :)

Also, I remember reading some Audi forum about some method like if you open the door, turn the key to ON but don't start the car, and wait 3 minutes, then the TB will do something and you can hear it. Now in that thread there was a big debate whether or not it was actually an adaptation, some said yes some say no it's just doing some other stuff. But, at the least some people said it helped their situation nonetheless. You can give it a try while you're waiting for the cable, I guess it won't hurt.

#19 ·
Then that's not the adaption problem. Normally adaption will affect the shifting points but won't prevent your car from running. If it's not running normally then you have to find the problem. You can try cleaning the throttle first. There's another guy on this forum just had the problem cured. His car starts and dies, or when idle he step on gas no rev up. He says that he cleaned the throttle and the problem was gone.

#20 ·
the throttle was very clean ( i was surprised)
I opened everything up to make sure it wasnt stuck:confused:

but I got my vag-com cable in.. going to download the software now.. when i get back tonight from playing poker I am going to check the codes and run a throttle adaption and see what happens

will update tomorrow:D

#21 ·
I rean the VAGCOM last night....

it said the Throttle was failing to self align
(need to do a throttle body alignment)

and it had an error code about the Throttle position sensor

SO I figured I would run the throttle alignment... but i have the free software and it wont let me do the throttle body alignment unless I have a full registered version
(anyone want to send me a registration code?)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

#23 ·
The VCDS Lite doesn't let you do hardly anything useful with the unregistered version. It's 99 bucks to get the registered version. That is the only way to do anything fun with the program.

I am debating on getting it but my E-Bay cable sucks and cuts out a lot in Virtual XP mode under Windows 7.

Which cable do you have and does it run under Windows 7 64 bit version? I may have to order a better 3rd Party cable that actually works with Windows 7 64 bit.

#24 ·
Privately speaking you can get a cracked one from the internet if you really want to try it and don't want to waste your money...hehe...

Throttle body alignment is done like this: enter (08) measurement block, select group 098 then OK, then you can see the throttle position info then press"switch to basic settings" then it will do alignment automatically.

#26 ·
I need to find a "cracked" version ASAP

I plan on checking the sensor tonight and clean it while i am in there. but I think I am stuck until I can do the throttle body alignment or adaption.

I got my cable from amazon for $11, works good.. its the BLUE cable and it comes with all of the drivers and even came with VAGCOM lite, I have windows XP and it works just fine.
But I REALLY need to get the full version somehow ASAP so I can do the throttle body alignment.. (can anyone send me a working cracked version?) I have seen alot of so-called cracked versions online, but all of the reviews say they dont work.. Someone has to have one they can email me or email/PM me a link to it:rolleyes:

#27 ·
Please don't get a cracked version. Ross-Tech makes a great product. Its worth supporting them so they can keep supporting us. I get that its a decent amount of money, but please, support the good guys in the VW community.

#29 · (Edited)
See if you can find someone with a Vag Com in your area. I am certain there has to be someone in the Mobile, AL area that would be willing to help you out.

Try this link to see who might be closest to you with a VAG Com.

VWVortex.com - Vag-Com Locator searchable map style! Owners pm me your info requested in the thread

And if you have a cable that works then you don't need to shell out hundreds of dollars for VCDS Lite. It's 99 dollars and might be worth getting. I actually got my cable to work with Windows 7 (Finally) :rolleyes: and I did register on-line. It seems VCDS lite will do everything I will ever need it to do. It won't show OBDII codes but that is fine by me. I have a Scangauge that does show those codes already.
Now I did find out that you can not transfer the VCDS Lite version to anyone or even install it on another computer. Whatever computer you installed it on you are stuck with it.
You even had to put in your computers serial number at the time of paying for the registration and your IP address has been logged. So finding someone with a key and then installing the software on your computer will not work. I don't see how a crack of the software will work since only the registered serial number of that computer that you registered with will work. So it would be very difficult for any of those cracks to work. One good thing is that if you want to upgrade to a Full Version of VCDS including their cable you can do so and they will credit you the 99 dollars towards the purchase which I think is pretty nice of them.
So my suggestion is either to find someone with a Vag Com close to you or bite the bullet and just pay the 99 bucks. I think it will be well worth it if you intend to keep your Beetle for a while or get another VW or Audi sometime down the line. Now VCDS lite will not work with the Can Bus of the newer vehicles. I think 2007+ but I am not sure when they started using the new type Can Bus. I know my brother has it on his 2008 Passat.

Good Luck to you and if I were closer I would help you out.

BTW, I don't think there are too many "Expected" Breakdowns ;) so it is always good to expect the unexpected. Also if you do decide to register the copy of VCDS Lite it will not automatically work.
Ross Tech will first make sure the payment goes through and a Real Human has to activate the software on their end. So if you pay for it outside of regular business hours you will have to wait until
someone reviews the purchase and finalizes the registration process. Might take up to 24 hours.

#33 ·
Now I did find out that you can not transfer the VCDS Lite version to anyone or even install it on another computer. Whatever computer you installed it on you are stuck with it.
You even had to put in your computers serial number at the time of paying for the registration and your IP address has been logged.
So glad to see you got it working! Just curious, what was the issue and how did you fix it?

Also, just reading the ross-tech FAQ and it says you can transfer it to another PC, but only ONCE! Here's the answers from their website:

3.6 What if I need to run VCDS on more than one PC?

Purchase of a VCDS-Lite software license entitles the buyer to use the the program on one PC at a time, and we allow ONE change of PCs per license.

5.1 How do I permanently move VCDS-Lite from one PC to another?

We understand that PCs sometimes fail in a manner where it is not economically feasible to repair them, so we will allow ONE change of PCs per license. Use it wisely!

This also applies to reformatting your hard drive, installing new OS or performing other system overhauls:

Download and install VCDS-Lite.

Test it to make sure it works properly on that machine. Contact us for support if you have any difficulties.

Fill out the appropriate Registration Form using the serial number from the About screen and we'll send you a new Activation Code, subject to the following caveat:

You have only registered VCDS-Lite on one other PC.

Additional notes:

All Activation Requests or Re-Activation requests must be made using the appropriate
Registration Form. Email requests will not be accepted.

If you intend to use multiple PC's or anticipate changing PC's more than once, then you would need to purchase one of our Current Interfaces for use with VCDS (as opposed to VCDS-Lite). Upgrades for existing registered users are also available.

#31 ·
I imagine you mean that VCDS lite won't give P codes? It should pull codes, they are just VW specific. Not sure what the VCDS lite readout is like but I know the full version gives the VW specific code as well as P codes. And a description. Even with that I tend to use the Ross-Tech wiki to get even more info on the codes.

#32 ·
I am sure it will display codes. It just mentioned on the Ross Tech site that it won't do OBDII so I assumed it wouldn't show P codes but I am not sure. Ross Tech hasn't sent me my activation E-Mail yet. It takes up to 24 hours on their end to send it. Can't wait so I can finally program my remote control key fobs. For some reason the manual option does not work. I have tried many times. Also I will use it to do a Throttle body adaption after I clean the throttle body and do a general scan of the engine. So far the Shareware version didn't find any faults except the "Intermittened SAI" problem. But I was aware of that. It screams at me once in a great while at start up when it is cold outside. It quiets down after a second or two. I guess enough to throw an intermitten code for the SAI. Everything else checks out okay.

#36 ·
i forgot to update you guys...

after i came home from the poker game (a winner!) I downloaded the crack for vagcom..

and the crack SUCKS!!!... it only works for 10 sec and the vagcom software deletes the "crack" files which puts it back to the trial version..

but I was able to replace the deleted files right before I did the throttle body alignment... and it worked!!! car started up and ran better then ever!!!

now that I got the car running I plan on getting the full paid version

#37 ·
Good choice! :bigthumb:

So far I programmed my other Key fob which needed new batteries, programmed both doors to unlock with one push, did a throttlebody adaption just for fun and autoscanned my car.
Seems there is an issue with my heated mirrors and the Sai has an intermittened code which I already suspected. But everything else checks out.

Nice Tools to have!

#40 ·
I replaced the fuel filter before I did the throttle body adaption. And I tried the tcm reset, it didn't do anything

After the throttle body adaption it drove really good for two days. That's what has me puzzled, thinking it has to be a sensor or something electrical... But I don't know

Is there any good diagnostic software besides vagcom? Something that is a free download and that o can use on any car?

#42 ·
Am I reading this correctly? Once you install VAG-COM, you can only transfer it to another computer one time?

Let's see...I think I've had in the neighborhood of about eight new computers or hard drive/OS swaps since I've owned VW's that need VAG-COM to correctly diagnose.

That frosts it for me. I guess I'll buy it zero times instead of once.

What a bunch of jaggoffs. If their profit margin is so thin that they have to resort to BS like that, they deserve to go out of business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.