FCM testing - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Default FCM testing

Hi folks.

I'm having an issue with the fans on the girlfriends beetle.

The car has had a few issues with the cooling but the main one was loosing coolant. Found 2 places it was leaking, the actual water pump and as it turns out, the heater connectors. I replaced the pump and connectors and all good, no more leaks.

Bled the system etc and found the fans weren't kicking in when hot. They do work when the air con is on.
I have jumped the connector on the coolant sensor and found high speed to work but not low speed. I have voltage to the low speed. When I jump the high speed I can hear the relay switch in the FCM but not on low speed.

Am I right in thinking that the FCM is dead and needs replacing? I read that this is common on these cars due to a bad solder joint. Is it possible to open them up without damaging them? A guide anywhere?

Tia!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

I don't think you can take the Fan control module apart. Why bother? Just get a new one they are about 50+ bucks.

How many miles on your girl friends car? Did you change out the timing belt while you did the water pump? If the water pump is bad than it usually indicates that the timing belt is in desperate need of replacement as well and you should have just done the whole timing belt service while you changed the water pump. If that belt goes you will have a lot more to worry about than a 50 dollar FCM

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Timing Belt > ES#2238 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - MK42LTBK V2
Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM

What year is your girl friends Beetle?

Here is a FCM that fits up to 2001.

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Fan > ES#1884206 Auxiliary Fan Control Unit - 1J0919506E
Old 05-07-2012, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
I don't think you can take the Fan control module apart. Why bother? Just get a new one they are about 50+ bucks.

How many miles on your girl friends car? Did you change out the timing belt while you did the water pump? If the water pump is bad than it usually indicates that the timing belt is in desperate need of replacement as well and you should have just done the whole timing belt service while you changed the water pump. If that belt goes you will have a lot more to worry about than a 50 dollar FCM

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Timing Belt > ES#2238 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - MK42LTBK V2
Timing belt ect isn't the issue. I replaced that with the pump.

My question still stands. Am i right in thinking that my testing says its the FCM? As for a cheap part, over here in Australia it isn't! Our local parts companies don't stock it and stealers are very expensive! The temp sensor i replaced, VW want $80!

The reason I asked if it could be opened up was due to needing the car and it may of been a possible short term solution until the new one i have ordered arrives from the states.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
Timing belt ect isn't the issue. I replaced that with the pump.

My question still stands. Am i right in thinking that my testing says its the FCM? As for a cheap part, over here in Australia it isn't! Our local parts companies don't stock it and stealers are very expensive! The temp sensor i replaced, VW want $80!

The reason I asked if it could be opened up was due to needing the car and it may of been a possible short term solution until the new one i have ordered arrives from the states.
Sorry, I didn't realize you were from Down under. WOW, 80 bucks for a Temp Sensor. that is totally insane.

I really can't tell you if it is the FCM or not. I have replaced mine before thinking it was causing my fans to run on HIGH all the time but then it turned out to be a 2pin 112c Thermal Switch. The 2.0 engine doesn't have this switch so I am certain that isn't your issue. If you feel adventurers you can try to take the FCM apart but then you risk of not getting it to work at all.

Either way I wish you good Luck and I hope you get it fixed soon!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't realize you were from Down under. WOW, 80 bucks for a Temp Sensor. that is totally insane.

I really can't tell you if it is the FCM or not. I have replaced mine before thinking it was causing my fans to run on HIGH all the time but then it turned out to be a 2pin 112c Thermal Switch. The 2.0 engine doesn't have this switch so I am certain that isn't your issue. If you feel adventurers you can try to take the FCM apart but then you risk of not getting it to work at all.

Either way I wish you good Luck and I hope you get it fixed soon!
Tell me about it! all I seem to have is car troubles at the mo! My car is at the mechanics having a full engine rebuild (spun 2 bearings) and it was cheaper to get the parts from 'MMR in the states and have a fully forged bottom end than it was to get the stock parts here! (5.4lt modular V8) so when the girlfriends beetle decided to throw a wobbly I was ready to burn it with fire!

I will be fitting a separate temp sensor to it in the location of that thermal switch as I think it is stupid not to have a gauge on a car!

I may take it apart when the new one comes, just to see what's involved.

Last edited by Creative; 05-07-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Hey this is a little gadget you might be interested in. It does display tons of gauges up to 4 at a time and can read OBDII codes and clear them. Not only on Beetle's but also on other cars with OBDII ports.

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hey this is a little gadget you might be interested in. It does display tons of gauges up to 4 at a time and can read OBDII codes and clear them. Not only on Beetle's but also on other cars with OBDII ports.

UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool
I have an eBay OBD dongle and run the app 'torque' on my android phone. Cracking little app, just limited by the cheapo eBay dongle. Does enough though and allows me to read the basic stuff and clear codes. Been a godsend so far!

Recommend it to anyone!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
I have an eBay OBD dongle and run the app 'torque' on my android phone. Cracking little app, just limited by the cheapo eBay dongle. Does enough though and allows me to read the basic stuff and clear codes. Been a godsend so far!

Recommend it to anyone!
Is the EBay Dongle Blue Tooth or does it plug into your Smartphone? I may get that just for fun.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Is the EBay Dongle Blue Tooth or does it plug into your Smartphone? I may get that just for fun.
Bluetooth.

It is worth getting a decent OBD reader but the el cheapo ebay ones do just enough to make it worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.