Difficulty of replacing Engine Speed Sensor - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 AM

Car: Formerly 2002 New Beetle GLS 2.0 - Marlin Blue Pearl
Default Difficulty of replacing Engine Speed Sensor

16705/P0321/000801 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Long story short...getting intermittent EPC light. Shop pulled codes P0321 and P0366. Can't find much on 0366 but I think it was IndyTom who told me that was the Camshaft in another thread. Here's the Ross tech definition for 0321:

Code P0321 - Engine Speed Sensor Replacement
16705/P0321/000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal
Possible Symptoms

Engine shuts off
Engine doesn't start
Speedometer inoperative
Glow Plug Indicator Lamp (K29) flashes

Possible Causes

Engine Speed Sensor (G28) loose
Engine Speed Sensor (G28) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

Special Notes

The Engine Speed Sensor (G28) is also used as a reference sensor for the crankshaft position and correlates with the Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 (G40) and Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 2 (G163).

-------------------------

My Crankshaft sensor was replaced in October 2011 when the car wouldn't turn over. I have a 2002, VW New Beetle GLS 2.0L automatic. I am a rookie - I wish I knew how to work on my own car but I don't. Money is tight, and I want to sell the car but I would like to make the EPC light go away first without paying several hundred $$$. I was offered $3,500 trade in with 71k miles, which seems pitiful (is this agreed?).

Anyway...How difficult is it to change the Engine Speed Sensor in the 2.0L 4cyl automatic '02 New Beetle? Does anyone have a photo of where it is? Could anyone instruct me on how to replace it? I'm not afraid to get dirty, but I do not have a jack for my car (other than the one to change the spare). If I can do this myself, I have a friend who has one I can probably use. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

It is a lot easier to replace on a car with Manual transmission. It's a very tight fit if you have an Automatic. But people have done it with a bit of frustration and some cuss words

Here are some links that may help:

VWVortex.com - TECH: MK4 2.0 Crank Position Sensor P0322

Volkswagen New Beetle Got the Bosch crank position sensor - JustAnswer

Has Anyone Here Ever Replaced the CRANKSHAFT Position Sensor???

I don't have an Automatic so I can't say what's involved getting to the sensor.

Here is the info on the P0366 code:

Fault Code P0366 VOLKSWAGEN

P0366 VOLKSWAGEN - Camshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1

Possible causes

- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

When is the code detected?

The camshaft position sensor signal sent to the Engine Control Module(ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking is out of range.

Symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Lack/Loss of Power
- Engine Stall

P0366 VOLKSWAGEN Description

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module(ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The camshaft position sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Oof. Well...I decided to take tomorrow off of work and have my VW guy look at it. If he can determine the exact issue I may try to fix it myself. If it's a couple hundred $'s, I'm getting rid of my beetle. :'(

Thanks so much for your help Tom! It's been a real help during this process.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zypher View Post
Oof. Well...I decided to take tomorrow off of work and have my VW guy look at it. If he can determine the exact issue I may try to fix it myself. If it's a couple hundred $'s, I'm getting rid of my beetle. :'(

Thanks so much for your help Tom! It's been a real help during this process.
I have just seen a Crankshaft Positioning sensor on E-Bay for about 9 bucks. Not sure if it will last but if you want to save money that might be the way to go. If I were closer I would gladly help you with your Beetle woes. I wouldn't get rid of it if it is just a Crank or Cam sensor. But if you do make sure you get a fair price. You may want to try and sell it to a private buyer. Dealers will always rip you off. They may make it look good on paper but they won't give you much for your beetle.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:37 AM

They said O2 sensor was bad...brakes and rotors need replacing...bushings probably OK but not great. Bottom line...I got a good deal for trade in. Dealer is giving me more than Beetles my year are selling for on eBay and I'm getting a decent price on the new car. I am not happy about this but I can't afford to spend $1800 to fix everything wrong with the Beetle. Maybe only $700 now but there are other things that need to be replaced. All I can hope for is that she will go to a wonderful new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.