Dashboard lights flickering & gauges going dead. Help! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Car: 99 VW Beetle
Unhappy Dashboard lights flickering & gauges going dead. Help!

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member but frequent reader. I have a problem with my 99 VW Beetle that I hope you guys can help me sort out. Early in the day as I was heading to work and noticed that none of the gauges in my dashboard were working. I pulled over, turned the car off, re-started it and began driving again. All of the gauges went to their proper places at start-up and after about a minute they suddenly went dead. I tried the windows and they were not responsive. Everything else was running and functional, even the radio. I continued driving for 20 minutes and the entire way they were going back and forth from functioning to dead. I called my mechanic and he tightened the cables on the battery. Later in the day I turned it back on and went on my way and travelled no more than 10 miles and everything was fully functional with no funny business. As I started my way back home about 7 hours later, now being nighttime, I naturally turned on the headlights. After a few minutes on the road the dashboard was flickering, as though wanting to die even though the car was running fine and the headlights and radio continued to function without any interruption.

Some things to know:
-I just replaced the battery about 3 months ago
-Just changed radiator fan
-There had been corrosion present in the past on one of the terminals, with minimal corrosion accumulated now
-Beetle has about 115k miles
-I just got new spark plugs put in

If anyone has an idea what the problem could be, I would greatly appreciate comments.
Thanks!

Last edited by bluedaisy; 06-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Problem Fixed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Car: 2007 Beetle GLS

As a quick check, make sure the battery cables are tight and corrosion free. Check the cables/fuses in the black box on top of the battery, and then check the all the fuses in the dash (under the little door on the left side of the dash, you can get to it with the drivers door open)

Sounds like a loose connection or bad ground somewhere
1983 Mercedes 300D 256K (diesel commuter)
1965 Corvair Corsa 98K (fun car)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

Check fuses above the battery box ... see if any are melting/melted and shorting, along with ensuring the battery cable is in good condition, no corrosion, etc.
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 AM

Talking Solved!

Thanks for the replies. Cleaning the terminals of all corrosion fixed my problem! I'm so relieved it wasn't the instrument cluster or something costly.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Glad to hear it, and glad we were able to help!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Unhappy Nooooooo!

It looks like I spoke too soon. Cleaning the corrosion only fixed my problem temporarily. The gauges still have a mind of their own and now the check engine light decided to come on. Any ideas? Would changing the battery cables seem like something likely to fix my problem and cause the warning light to come on?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

If the CEL is on, get the car scanned and then let us know what code(s) show up. Actual code numbers too, not just descriptions. Autozone and the like will scan for free.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 AM

x2!

Actually having the check engine light on is a good thing as it means there is a code (or codes) to point toward what the issue may be. As Smileybug said, get the codes scanned and we can go from there.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 AM

Ok, so I had it scanned and it gave me code P0134 Bank 1. I did a little investigating and think I need the oxygen sensor replaced. I have no idea what any of this means but I gotta fix the problem. I called the VW dealer and the part sells for $199.80. I then called an auto shop specializing in German vehicles and they can fix it parts and labor for $250. Do you guys think this is reasonable? I just need my car working properly already, it won't give me a break!
In regards to the gauges going dead and dashboard flickering, my mechanic changed one of the relays (again, have no idea what that does) and that seemed to fix the problem.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

Upstream oxygen sensor is $92 from the CarQuest on Magnolia Blvd in Los Angelas: CARQUEST - Product Information:CQ/BOSCH IMPORT O2 SENSORS

How to replace: How to Change the Oxygen Sensor on a VW Beetle | eHow.com

Also read: How to Change the O2 Sensor

To reset light (if it is an EVAP/Fuel cap issue): disconnect battery for 10 minutes, reconnect and drive the vehicle for a day or two. If the light comes back on it's a bad sensor, if it does not then the issue wasn't O2 related.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you!
Either way I need someone to do it for me, but that's a lot less than what VW sells the part for.

It looks like I'm back to square one with the gauges dying though :'(
Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Talking Finally! Success!!!

I just wanted to thank everyone who picked their brains and offered up suggestions to help me fix my gauge problem & power windows not responding.
My beetles alternator was going bad so I had it replaced and it's running great!
No more random function of gauges or windows
Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
High mileage driver found

Car: 1999 New Beetle GL TDI

I'm glad I just stumbled across this- my '99 TDI Bug started doing the EXACT same thing on Saturday.

Alternator voltage tested okay even when the alternator light was on (however I was just using a multimeter in my driveway, not the actual AVR machine at work, so who knows what kind of amperage it was putting out) but I was wondering if there was an intermittent internal short in it, as it killed my battery in about 3 hours.

Anyhow... thanks for sharing your experience because you may have saved me a few hours of hair pulling. I'm a VW technician and this problem is new to me!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:19 PM

Replaced my alternator tonight- fixed it. It had a massive internal short.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandi View Post
Replaced my alternator tonight- fixed it. It had a massive internal short.
Glad that fixed it. The massive battery drain was certainly a good clue.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff2 View Post
Glad that fixed it. The massive battery drain was certainly a good clue.
Definitely- I figured if it had that big of a draw, if it was something being fed through a smaller gauge of wire, things would be on fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.