VW Beetle Forum banner

2005 beetle engine suddenly goes off

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  IndyTom 
#1 ·
Hi there. I just got a 2005 beetle a few weeks ago and its been great so far. Only this morning while at the traffic lights, the engine suddenly went off.... :S .... I then managed to start it up fine. Im just wondering what that was all about. I didnt notice any warning lights before this happened and none appeared after. Any idea what could be the problem?

This is an auto btw...

#2 ·
I'd have it scanned for error codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free, but the codes you get from them will be generic OBD-II codes. A VW mechanic ought to be able to get more specific codes using a VAG specific scanner.

#3 ·
Just a heads up.... if the Crank Speed Sensor (G28) goes off line, the engine will die. If it goes back online before you try to restart the car, then there will not be any fault codes.

I've shown people on my car where I kill the engine by unplugging the G28, then plug it back up and restart the engine, no codes.

If the car is at speed (driving down the road), and the G28 goes off line, then it might feel like a misfire or a stutter, but again, no fault codes.

I'm not saying the G28 is bad on your car... lets see if you have any fault codes because for all I know you have 10 Short to Plus codes... something that a generic OBDII scanner might not pick up on.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.