98 New Beetle flashing blue cooling system light - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 AM

VA,
Car: 98 New Beetle
Default 98 New Beetle flashing blue cooling system light

hi, this is our first VW, just bought it with 87k miles. drives great, but it intermittently displays a flashing blue cooling system light. the manual says it could be low coolant or a malfunction. the coolant level seemed high, so i drained some off to the max level. the light goes out when the accelerator is pressed and flashes again at idle.
also, i noticed lots of old coolant dried up (pink paste like) on top of the transmission housing, with some more liquid type fluid (still old looking laying deep down there). i can find no evidence of recent leaks, but i am just learning may way around the engine compartment.
lastly, there is either oil or trans fluid leaking in small amts (hard to tell just what it is or where it is coming from). do these cars have any noted problems with seals i should check?
thanks much, this is a great car which my daughters will enjoy driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Ragtops can be fun!

Car: 2003 New Beetle Convertible

Hi! You likely have a bad coolant tempature sensor if your fluid level is inbetween min and max; or a bad sender in the tank. It's a $6 part.

I know my buddy with a 98 said his whole coolant system just deteriated... all the plastic hoses and the like. He had it all replaced over time at about 80-90k, if I recall right. So the residue could be leftover; if you don't see any new it's pretty safe to assume they've replaced the hoses (but you can look and tell how worn they are yourself, too). The obvious one is a lose bolt on the oil pan; park the car on a tarp and catch a sample.. you can basically look/smell and tell if it's trans fluid or motor oil. I would suggest replacing the auto trans pan and auto trans fluid... dealers will say that it's not necessary; but it is. DO NOT flush the system!! Good luck!
Cara: 1999 Techno Blue TDI 5spd
Stinky: 2000 Cyber Green TDI 5spd
----gone, but not forgotten
Charlie: 2002 Cyber Green 2.0 "retro" 5spd (traded)
Marley: 1998 Black 2.0 5spd ratrod (now Buckwheat/Jerry O)
Peaches/Patches: 1998 Black/Silver two-tone TDI 5spd (total loss)
Phoenix: 2003 Uni Red TDI 5-speed swap (sold)
Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM

VA,
Default follow up question

thanks for the reply. i will order a new sensor i guess via an online source. not clear on the transmission recommendation and oil line situation. you suggest not flushing transmission, but rather to drop the pan, replace the filter, install a new pan and top off the fluid? just curious, why not flush the trans?
also, i did notice the lower radiator hose seems a bit soggy right under the oil filter area, where oil has dripped down during changes. i will replace that hose. by doing so, do i need to remove air from the radiator after i replace the hose or will it naturally purge itself?
thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:22 AM

VA,

also looking for the online source to find these coolant temp sensors at the $6 price i have seen referenced here on this forum. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.